Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I wasn't really sure where to put this as the programming section seems to be very mac specific. I recently upgraded my VM (using Fusion 5) to Windows 8 just because of the price. My college Professor had us download Dev C++ last month and it worked just fine on Windows 7 (Fusion 4) as well as the school computers running Windows 7.

Now with the upgrade I am getting the error "Source file not compiled" and my program will not run. I have tried running it in compatibility mode for both XP (SP3) and 7. Both still give me the error. From what I found online, some offered the advice of updating the MinGW (honestly not sure what that is yet, but I'm still researching) but have not seen others have any success yet either.

Any thoughts on a work around for this? Any suggestions for a different compiler that still supports C (that's what I'll be working on the rest of the year and next semester)?

paolol61

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2012
Tuscany, Italy
Why did you bother with that VM ? make a new VM with W7 and run your C++ as before, upgrading license don't prevent you for use a previous version of the software so you can still use your old W7.

I love VM as they give you the option to have many OS with different setting and programs, so use them at the best ;)

Fusion 5 is a good product so just go back to W7 and compile all your programs .
:D

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I just thought of that today. Windows 7 and 8 were both downloads from Microsoft so there's no reason I can't get it again. I've never had two VM's before. I assume it shouldn't be a burden if I'm only running one at a time. It's a 2011 Mac mini 2.5GHz with 8GB ram. I had to up my allotment for 8 cuz the new metro UI was making it lag with just 1GB assigned. Bumped it up to 3 and seems to be smooth now.

Thank you by the way.

HandySam

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
Just look for dev c++ windows 8 in google. You will find a link for a portable version which has updated compilers. This works with Windows 8 ;) (I was in the same situation)

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Just look for dev c++ windows 8 in google. You will find a link for a portable version which has updated compilers. This works with Windows 8 ;) (I was in the same situation)

Cool, I didn't happen to see anything like this at the time of the original post. I'll look into it. In the mean time, I've switched to having my VM run Windows 7 and bootcamp run windows 8 so I can do my gaming on there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.