Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:36 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Microsoft Office for iOS Said to Launch in Early 2013, Offer Only Basic Functionality

There has been a significant amount of discussion about Microsoft's rumored plans to bring Office to iOS devices, and The Verge now weighs in with additional details and a few screenshots from the project. According to the report, Office Mobile for iOS and Android will launch in early 2013 but will not offer anything close a true Office experience, with the editing functionality it does offer coming through an Office 365 subscription.
Quote:
Office Mobile will debut in the form of free apps that allow Android and iOS users to view Microsoft Office documents on the move. Like the existing SkyDrive and OneNote apps, Office Mobile will require a Microsoft account. On first launch, a Microsoft account will provide access to the basic viewing functionality in the apps. Word, PowerPoint, and Excel documents will all be supported, and edit functionality can be enabled with an Office 365 subscription.

Microsoft will allow iOS users to purchase an Office 365 subscription within the app, or let organizations distribute codes to enable Office Mobile editing for users. The apps will allow for basic editing, but we're told this won't go very far in attempting to replace regular full use of a desktop Office version.
The report indicates that Office Mobile for iOS is currently planned for launch in late February or early March, with the Android version following several months later.

Article Link: Microsoft Office for iOS Said to Launch in Early 2013, Offer Only Basic Functionality
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a

That's all I needed to hear. Time to download Pages and such. MS, I'm done.
Kaibelf is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:38 AM   #3
xjosh
macrumors member

2. to comment, 2. last to get laid.
xjosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:38 AM   #4
Rudy69
macrumors 6502

Took this long to offer "basic functionality"? Why bother then? There's already applications that can open Office documents.
Rudy69 is offline   26 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:40 AM   #5
unplugme71
macrumors 68000

I'm sure functionality will improve. It's going to be version 1.0 so not much is to be expected. I'd like to see the ability to write in Word even though some advanced features are disabled without subscription.
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:09 PM   #6
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugme71 View Post
I'm sure functionality will improve. It's going to be version 1.0 so not much is to be expected. I'd like to see the ability to write in Word even though some advanced features are disabled without subscription.
Did you say: "Without Subscription"? I hope that doesn't mean what I think it means.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:48 AM   #7
Tech198
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDav View Post
Did you say: "Without Subscription"? I hope that doesn't mean what I think it means.
Yep.. u guesses it..

It means its read-only,

You need a subscription to edit.

Clever of MS, but useless to me,

Now, that IS about as limited your going to get :P

If I already was an Office 365 user, then i wouldn't mind, but I'm not... Why should i need to PAY to edit my own documents.?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:41 AM   #8
inspirations365
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy69 View Post
Took this long to offer "basic functionality"? Why bother then? There's already applications that can open Office documents.
But they aren't officially supported. That goes a long way in the corporate sector, where Office is indispensible. And with more corporations using iOS devices, cross-platform compatibility is not a bad thing.

Plus, needing a 360 sub for additional functionality will generate some money as well. This is the best thing MS could have done.
inspirations365 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:43 AM   #9
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

When the surface goes tits up, iOS will then get full functionality with a small upgrade price.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:44 AM   #10
notjustjay
macrumors 603

What a great idea! That's just what I always wanted, to pay for the same app functionality over and over again, year after year.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:30 PM   #11
ReallyBigFeet
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
When the surface goes tits up, iOS will then get full functionality with a small upgrade price.
This. Seriously, its all marketing on MS part and I can't blame them for this move. Its a token acceptance of the "other" mobile/tablet platforms. And a "If you want the REAL stuff, come get a Surface tablet" statement.

Of course, all 8 of their Surface RT customers will do just that. For the rest of us.....don't need Office for iOS. Already doing that with other products.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:47 AM   #12
macrumors regular

Honestly I hope basic functionality means I could edit, save, upload and download file from device, like with file apps or at least skydrive option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound214 View Post
I don't get it. You can already view Office documents on iOS. You can also both view, edit and create .doc files in Pages, which costs merely $9.99, once, no need for a subscription.
The thing is that all of my documents are using the new standard of .docx
Avatarshark is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:54 AM   #13
VulchR
macrumors 68000

WTF is Office365?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:57 AM   #14
Sound214
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatarshark View Post
So? .docx works too. I don't know if you can save it as docx, but you sure as hell can view and edit .docx
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:25 PM   #15
tbrinkma
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatarshark View Post
Honestly I hope basic functionality means I could edit, save, upload and download file from device, like with file apps or at least skydrive option.

And there's a number of apps out there which provide the ability to open and edit .docx files. Oh, and the ones spit out by Office aren't actually *standard* .docx files. (At least not prior to Office 2012. I'm not positive about it.)
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:22 AM   #16
Glassed Silver
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yea, but they all suck.

Glassed Silver:mac
Last login: Sat May 5 22:52:51 on ttys000
Society-System:~ dumbnut$ rm -rf ~/Library/mind.db ~/Library/Frameworks/tolerance ~/Library/Frameworks/commonsense ~/integrity ~/individuality
Glassed Silver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:31 AM   #17
AaronTheYoung
macrumors member

Pages to Word 2010 Experience is quite good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassed Silver View Post
Yea, but they all suck.

My experience shows me seamless back and forth from Pages to Word 2010 on my PC via Box.net. I'm not a the heaviest Word processor, but I frequently develop Court documents and letters without one single problem in compatibility.

My experience with Pages doesn't suck at all. I expected far less compatibility and more problems and instead, I've found none.

A few of the partners at our firm (and we have picky ones) use their iPad for word processing the same way. We don't do much work with Numbers or Keynote, but haven't had as much need for those types of document development on the iPad.

I too believe that MS should make as great a product as they can. Unfortunately, it's all about making money and doing the basic functionality with a subscription will problem bring them in quite a bit of cash. If it doesn't, they'll have rethink their strategy. I hope they have time to do all that.
AaronTheYoung is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:12 AM   #18
Glassed Silver
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTheYoung View Post
My experience shows me seamless back and forth from Pages to Word 2010 on my PC via Box.net. I'm not a the heaviest Word processor, but I frequently develop Court documents and letters without one single problem in compatibility.

My experience with Pages doesn't suck at all. I expected far less compatibility and more problems and instead, I've found none.

A few of the partners at our firm (and we have picky ones) use their iPad for word processing the same way. We don't do much work with Numbers or Keynote, but haven't had as much need for those types of document development on the iPad.

I too believe that MS should make as great a product as they can. Unfortunately, it's all about making money and doing the basic functionality with a subscription will problem bring them in quite a bit of cash. If it doesn't, they'll have rethink their strategy. I hope they have time to do all that.
Well, I agree, for common and basic documents, Pages et all work fine, however, once you're getting documents to work on that are a little more complex, ALL Office alternatives screw up with the MS formats.

I too love iWork, don't get me wrong, but I mainly use it for simple Microsoft format files and creating Apple proprietary documents and also PDFs, which by the way, iWork is really awesome at.

Last login: Sat May 5 22:52:51 on ttys000
Society-System:~ dumbnut$ rm -rf ~/Library/mind.db ~/Library/Frameworks/tolerance ~/Library/Frameworks/commonsense ~/integrity ~/individuality
Glassed Silver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:04 PM   #19
fongkahchun86
macrumors newbie

Yeah, but let's look at Office for Windows Phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassed Silver View Post
Yea, but they all suck.

Compare with Office on "true mobile" device
These 3rd party Apps may suck but if you will to look at Office for Windows Phone OS, you may agree that it sucks too, though it is made by Micro$oft for Micro$oft phone OS.

How fully functional can be achieved on mobile device
Pre-installed Office for Surface RT may give you full functionality but that is only possible due to the 10" screen. Without the TouchType Keyboard, you virtually don't see much of the Office App either that is blocked by the on-screen keyboard. iWorks not only works for iPad, it works for smaller iPhone/iPod Touch as well. It may not be fully functional but does its job well while on the go.

Convenient vs compatibility
Surely iWorks on Mac will still have some compatibility differences when compared with iWorks on iOS, such as support for transparent alpha, but the problem can be solved if the user can use transparent PNG instead. When the iWorks file is opened on iOS, such compatibility problem may not seems to be a critical deterrence since it brings convenience to the user without the need to recreated the same file. If Micro$oft Office for desktop mode (Windows 8 RT included) works very well on Windows Phone OS in terms of ability to create file to a close level, then Micro$oft would have no problem gaining market share.

Office vs iWorks vs GoogleDocs in Enterprise
Whether your company rely heavily on Micro$oft or not, it is a matter of time before a standard solution is adopted. Company can continue to work on Office, or look into iWorks if design matters (iWorks do design fast, quick, and beautifully) or even GoogleDocs (work best on browser) if collaboration is essential but design is not crucial.

Conclusion as a consumer
iWorks may not be 100% compatible with Office, but I do enjoy the best of both world by having Windows OS running on my virtual machine if I need to work on Excel Macro, and Access on my MBP. Similarly, I would create beautiful slides, document and spreadsheet using iWorks, which can convert to Office format if sharing is required with acceptable loss of some detail or compatibilty. After all, iWorks on iOS has bridge the gap on mobile editing, presenting and sharing. On the other hand, my company rely heavily on GoogleDocs which works well on the browser. So will I go back to Windows OS (esp. Win 8)? Probably not.
fongkahchun86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:39 AM   #20
divinox
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongkahchun86 View Post
Compare with Office on "true mobile" device
These 3rd party Apps may suck but if you will to look at Office for Windows Phone OS, you may agree that it sucks too, though it is made by Micro$oft for Micro$oft phone OS.

How fully functional can be achieved on mobile device
Pre-installed Office for Surface RT may give you full functionality but that is only possible due to the 10" screen. Without the TouchType Keyboard, you virtually don't see much of the Office App either that is blocked by the on-screen keyboard. iWorks not only works for iPad, it works for smaller iPhone/iPod Touch as well. It may not be fully functional but does its job well while on the go.

Convenient vs compatibility
Surely iWorks on Mac will still have some compatibility differences when compared with iWorks on iOS, such as support for transparent alpha, but the problem can be solved if the user can use transparent PNG instead. When the iWorks file is opened on iOS, such compatibility problem may not seems to be a critical deterrence since it brings convenience to the user without the need to recreated the same file. If Micro$oft Office for desktop mode (Windows 8 RT included) works very well on Windows Phone OS in terms of ability to create file to a close level, then Micro$oft would have no problem gaining market share.

Office vs iWorks vs GoogleDocs in Enterprise
Whether your company rely heavily on Micro$oft or not, it is a matter of time before a standard solution is adopted. Company can continue to work on Office, or look into iWorks if design matters (iWorks do design fast, quick, and beautifully) or even GoogleDocs (work best on browser) if collaboration is essential but design is not crucial.

Conclusion as a consumer
iWorks may not be 100% compatible with Office, but I do enjoy the best of both world by having Windows OS running on my virtual machine if I need to work on Excel Macro, and Access on my MBP. Similarly, I would create beautiful slides, document and spreadsheet using iWorks, which can convert to Office format if sharing is required with acceptable loss of some detail or compatibilty. After all, iWorks on iOS has bridge the gap on mobile editing, presenting and sharing. On the other hand, my company rely heavily on GoogleDocs which works well on the browser. So will I go back to Windows OS (esp. Win 8)? Probably not.
Without the touch keyboard, you could always place the tablet in a dock and type away using a regular keyboard on a regular screen. But hey, lets not go wild and crazy here, shall we.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonix View Post
How many people that care about a full featured version of Word and use it alot will actually want to use it on a tablet though. Windows RT has more in common with iOS, and is not Windows 8 really.
Once tablets become common in the work place, many. Saves a whole lot of money too. Invest in a good screen. Invest in a docking station. Invest in a proper tablet. Done. When will the iPad allow for that? 2020?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
RT has more in common with Windows 8 than it does iOS. It kinda lies somewhere between the two.
RT is baby windows, waiting to grow up. iOS is just old. But yes, in that sense, you are both right. The new born RT is pretty much iOS. Over time, though, RT will mature and become much like its father, Darth W8der.
divinox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:33 PM   #21
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
And edit, and markup. I will keep DocumentsToGo as it is great little program for ms documents etc.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:10 PM   #22
KdParker
macrumors 68040

Quote:
exactly what I was thinking.

What is the cost of this...free?
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:21 PM   #23
Bill Killer
macrumors 6502

And to those questioning why someone would use Office over iWorks, there's a few reasons:

1) Pages isn't compatible at all with Word, unless you're doing basic word processing. It can copy and paste text with no issue, but the moment you insert charts/tables, change the margins, insert review comments, and/or insert a few page breaks, the compatibility breaks down. The formatting goes haywire. The two pieces of software just destroy the documents created in the other software.

2) Numbers is useless. It's good for creating charts off basic Excel information, but for more advanced quantitative analysis, Excel is the only option.

3) Keynote, while alone better than Power Point, isn't compatible with corporate America. The only way to properly exchange a presentation is to send it as a PDF file. Otherwise, every corporate entity uses Power Point.
Bill Killer is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:48 AM   #24
varshar
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Killer View Post
And to those questioning why someone would use Office over iWorks, there's a few reasons:

1) Pages isn't compatible at all with Word...

2) Numbers is useless...

3) Keynote, while alone better than Power Point, isn't compatible with corporate America...
As much as I enjoy Apple products, I'm afraid this is phase#1 of the typical Microsoft strategy of Embrace, Extend, and Extinguish.

Whether Apple circa 2012 has learnt the lessons of Apple circa 1985 remains to be seen.

-v
varshar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:08 AM   #25
divinox
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Obviously, they wanted W8 out there. Why help Apple eat the cake MSFT is longing for? Clever move. Gates knew technology. Jobs knew marketing. Ballmer knows sales. Well played, Ballmer. Well played.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugme71 View Post
Buy W8. That will be the message. And this time, there is no antitrust ******** holding MSFT back. Ouch.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCassidy352 View Post
Sounds like a step back from the 3rd party solutions that already exist.
Or a step towards W8 for enterprise. Well timed leaks, indeed.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
Surface? W8 you mean. Fat chance.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksafe View Post
"Microsoft will allow iOS users to purchase an Office 365 subscription within the app, or let organizations distribute codes to enable Office Mobile editing for users. The apps will allow for basic editing, but we're told this won't go very far in attempting to replace regular full use of a desktop Office version."

No use wasting room of iOS for junk from Microsoft.
Yeah, damn junk... thats why people want it in the first place, right? Oh, snap!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTX View Post
Whether MS likes it or not, iOS is the dominant mobile OS with business. And the iPad is the standard all other tablets strive to be. I don't need or want limited function Office. I want full featured Office, and have no problem paying for it either.
MSFT does not like it. And, the battle for business is hardly won. Because you (and the rest of business) dont want a limited version of Office, more people will tilt towards W8 tablets instead. That is how you leverage one asset to increase sales of another. Brutal, but smart.
divinox is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion