Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zuwapa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Hello,

I have the iPad 4 as well as the iPhone 5 (I realize I'll never have two new products like this ever again, at the same time).

I want to know if I can use each charger interchangeably with each product. I know that the iPad lightning charger (box) charges at a higher rating than the iPhone charger. I'm obviously looking for longevity and don't want to cause any undue damage even minimally. DOCUMENTATION FROM APPLE of the ability to do this/or not, from would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Dean

**Update: I chose to take my iPhone chargining square instead of the larger iPad charging square with me. I've had the iPad 4 plugged in for almost an hour and the square portion is getting pretty hot and I can tell that the charging is going at a slower rate than it has with the charging square which was designed for the iPad. Did Apple really need to muddy the waters with making two types of charging boxes for these two devices?!

Last edited:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
This has been the case for years. The iPhone charger is smaller because the phone is smaller so no need to include a big brick when the small 5w model will charge the phone rapidly. It will charge an ipad, but as you note, quite slowly.

The new ipad charger is 12w vs 10w for the old one to try and compensate for the much larger batteries in iPads with the retina displays that take a very long time to charge. All of these are interchangeable. You may get slightly faster charge times or your phone with the larger chargers.

Zuwapa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012

Thank you very much for the link. That is exactly what I wanted. I have another question for you. Do you have any thoughts on car charging abilities? I've recently read that although these bricks compensate well for Apple products, car charging can be a different story and Apple obviously doesn't make a car charging plug.

----------

This has been the case for years. The iPhone charger is smaller because the phone is smaller so no need to include a big brick when the small 5w model will charge the phone rapidly. It will charge an ipad, but as you note, quite slowly.

The new ipad charger is 12w vs 10w for the old one to try and compensate for the much larger batteries in iPads with the retina displays that take a very long time to charge. All of these are interchangeable. You may get slightly faster charge times or your phone with the larger chargers.

Thanks.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Thank you very much for the link. That is exactly what I wanted. I have another question for you. Do you have any thoughts on car charging abilities? I've recently read that although these bricks compensate well for Apple products, car charging can be a different story and Apple obviously doesn't make a car charging plug.

----------

Thanks.

I'm not sure I understand your question.

weas

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
Seville, Spain
I'm going to try to explain to you how it works.
You have a 5W and a 12W charger.
- The iPhone is meant to be charged with 5W so if you gry to charge it with the other one it will automatically reduce its power from 12 to 5, otherwise it would damage the iPhone (Maybe not down to 5W but nothing much bigger than that).
- The iPad is meant to be charged with the 10/12W, so if you use a charger that can only provide 5 it will just charge slower. If you time it, it should be around twice the time.

I actually asked about this thing in the apple store when I got my iPad and they said that you can charge any apple device (iOS, obviously) with the iPad charger without damaging it. It will just provide as much power as the device can take.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.