Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dinosaur1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
I'm going to be leaving at&t because I simply hate contracts. Will the iP5 work with Straight Talk? Do they really have a 2gb limit though? Any other good mo contract carriers I should consider?

NoCleverSNForMe

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
I'm going to be leaving at&t because I simply hate contracts. Will the iP5 work with Straight Talk? Do they really have a 2gb limit though? Any other good mo contract carriers I should consider?

Your other options are:

• Verizon Wireless, month-to-month (no difference in cost for monthly plan…just no contract and you pay full price for a device)
  • Virgin Mobile (plans as low as $30/mo) is set to get the iPhone 5 soon. However, it runs on the Sprint network and no one knows whether they will allow it to have access to Sprint's LTE network.
  • Cricket
  • Wait for unlocked version to come out, get a prepaid SIM to T-Mobile or Straight Talk. As for your question about ST, yeah - there seems to be a vocal crowd that lost their phone number by using over 2GB data. If you don't care about your number, then go ahead - if you get cut off, you can just get another SIM for $10. If you do care about your number, go to T-Mobile...they'll just throttle you once you hit a cap.

One more thing - Cricket, Virgin Mobile, and Verizon Wireless are all official carriers. So if you get one of those, you will have visual voicemail and you don't have to tinker with any of the settings. Just a friendly FYI.

rajivvarma

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2008
I'm on Straight Talk with my 4S, and they have a 2GB soft cap.

Other services to try are Simple Mobile and prepaid T-Mobile.

dinosaur1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
Your other options are:

• Verizon Wireless, month-to-month (no difference in cost for monthly plan…just no contract and you pay full price for a device)
  • Virgin Mobile (plans as low as $30/mo) is set to get the iPhone 5 soon. However, it runs on the Sprint network and no one knows whether they will allow it to have access to Sprint's LTE network.
  • Cricket
  • Wait for unlocked version to come out, get a prepaid SIM to T-Mobile or Straight Talk. As for your question about ST, yeah - there seems to be a vocal crowd that lost their phone number by using over 2GB data. If you don't care about your number, then go ahead - if you get cut off, you can just get another SIM for $10. If you do care about your number, go to T-Mobile...they'll just throttle you once you hit a cap.

One more thing - Cricket, Virgin Mobile, and Verizon Wireless are all official carriers. So if you get one of those, you will have visual voicemail and you don't have to tinker with any of the settings. Just a friendly FYI.

If I go with Verizon my iPhone 5 won't work over there will it? I bought it from at&t. I noticed that Verizon's monthly cost is $80 compared to the others.

----------

Why can't I cut their sim down to a nano sim on my current iPhone 5 and just use Straight Talk?

----------

Nexus 4 uses a microsim. Would that work with Straight Talk?

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
If I go with Verizon my iPhone 5 won't work over there will it? I bought it from at&t. I noticed that Verizon's monthly cost is $80 compared to the others.

----------

Why can't I cut their sim down to a nano sim on my current iPhone 5 and just use Straight Talk?

----------

Nexus 4 uses a microsim. Would that work with Straight Talk?
no you can't use AT&T phone on Verizon. You need a plan for straight talk and idk

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
A friend of mine got a full price AT&T version yesterday at an Apple store. Unlocked out of the box and working fine on T-Mobile.

rajivvarma

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2008
A friend of mine got a full price AT&T version yesterday at an Apple store. Unlocked out of the box and working fine on T-Mobile.

I purchased my factory unlocked iPhone 5 this past Thursday, and it's been working fine with Straight Talk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.