Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
Just thought I'd get some opinions here about the different needs between the two products. I've owned the iPad 3 (32GB Wi-Fi) since launch. Always loved the device, the resolution, the power of the product and battery life. However, since buying the iPad mini, I'm seeing less usefulness for the iPad 3.

I've literally not touched it since! The balance of portability, power and usefulness has hit the spot for the iPad for me. Taking it on the train is much easier (especially on a cramped tube train) and just the ease of use is ridiculous. I cannot even justify having the iPad 3 sitting at home as a throwaway gadget. My laptop is there for multimedia etc and quite happy to pick up the mini for sofa browsing, reading and general media. The temptation to sell the iPad 3 is almost there (as I wouldnt mind the money only just moving out and want to possibly purchase a Mac Mini to replace my iMac).

Since the release of the iPad mini, have any of your perceptions of how you use a tablet changed and made you think twice about the larger tablet?

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I have heard this a lot since the release. Only thing preventing me from picking it up is the lack of the Retina Display. I would think both would complement each other. iPad at home on the couch and Mini when out of the house.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
i wouldn't say that it comes useless but i would say it used as much that i use my iPad mini.I just find the mini a lot better for reading and checking emails,Facebook,Twitter,Surfing the web,but i wouldn't watch a movie or Tv series on a mini i would prefer to use my 9'7 for that sort of thing but the mini is always used daily and the iPad 9'7 is used just purely for media things and that it.Both iPads do have there uses of certain situations.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
I used the mini only for the first 3 days but something with the display was causing me to get headaches. I never experienced whatever it was while using my wifes ipad 3. I loved the size and weight of it but unfortunately I decided to return it and get an ipad 4 for myself. I used it for about 4 hours yersterday evening and never got a headache. I still dont know what was causing it because I didnt think the screen looked bad, I am guessing maybe with being 41 my eyes arent what they used to be and it was actually straining them or something...

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
I used the mini only for the first 3 days but something with the display was causing me to get headaches. I never experienced whatever it was while using my wifes ipad 3. I loved the size and weight of it but unfortunately I decided to return it and get an ipad 4 for myself. I used it for about 4 hours yersterday evening and never got a headache. I still dont know what was causing it because I didnt think the screen looked bad, I am guessing maybe with being 41 my eyes arent what they used to be and it was actually straining them or something...
At 40 eyes start to go bad yet at 52, my mini is perfect:)

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
To say it is useless is overstating it by a lot. It's just heavy.

webworks415

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2008
I would only consider replacing a mini with my iPad 4 if the specs match up to it on 2nd generation. I wouldn't mind something easier and lighter to hold, but I'm spoiled with Retina and having the faster A6X. Getting a mini in place of it would be a downgrade to me.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
It isn't useless, but it also hasn't seen much use since the mini arrived.

The mini for me has proven to be more comfortable around the house and for general tasks. I'll be selling my iPad 3 and getting a full sized 4 with LTE to use for work though.

It's interesting, while the mini is more compact, I don't find it to be much more portable than the full size. Either way, I'm carrying something in my hand or in a laptop bag. While the mini weighs less, it's not a factor because the full size is already a lightweight product.

I also find that at work, I tend to use the iPad on some sort of surface. Either on a table or propped up. This means I'm a bit further away from it, so the size helps there. The Retina display also makes a difference when viewing spreadsheets, reviewing photos or reading fine print.

Sitting around at home, the mini is perfect. When I'm out for work, the full size carries no real penalties for portability and has several advantages.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
the mini is a convenience device rather than the luxury device that the 9.7" is

OnlyGerman

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2010
Yes ! I hope they make it more screen like the mini , the regular looks to have a lot more surrounding after using the mini

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Why do people who have the ipad 2 or ipad even want the mini? only makes sense to me if you use it on the go

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I think people use their mini more as it is a new gadget and feel they should use it over their old ipad...

This is not the case for me. I own the original iPad, and I waited until Apple brought out the iPad mini to upgrade. It is more comfortable to hold, and it's nearly perfect for reading.

Last edited:

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I had the mini for a few days and prefer the iPad. The loss in screen size was not worth it for me. The mini had an overall cheap feel to me. Just because Apple could make it thinner and lighter does not mean everyone would like it that way.
The regular iPad screen just feels more sturdy and less "hollow" to me. As far as I am concerned Apple is closing in on a loss of structural integrity if they continue to make their products lighter and lighter. People are bending iPhones and complaining about the screen flexing on the mini now so I hope Apple stops here.

It is all about choices. More choices are always better. Apple just needs to stop trying to WOW its customers with form factors that border on decreasing the quality of the product. :rolleyes:

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
My personal opinion is that the Mini is the worst device Apple has ever made. I think it is made on the cheap, the screen is abysmal, it is significantly slower than the iPad 4 and overall a weaker device.

Before you ask, yes, I owned one for about two days before I knew that it was essentially a device that was half as nice as the Kindle Fire HD, yet 50% more expensive.

End result for me, the iPad 4 is leaps and bounds a better choice than the Mini...remember, I said the best choice for me...YMMV, but I think the Mini is a weak, weak tablet on many fronts.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
I use my iPad to consume media, stream movies, and store/watch home made videos and pictures and for sharing with family so the 9.7" iPad definitely trumps the iPad mini and is more useful around the house. For out and about, sure the iPad mini has it's place there but since weight isn't an issue for me the larger iPad works just as well.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
My personal opinion is that the Mini is the worst device Apple has ever made. I think it is made on the cheap, the screen is abysmal, it is significantly slower than the iPad 4 and overall a weaker device.

Before you ask, yes, I owned one for about two days before I knew that it was essentially a device that was half as nice as the Kindle Fire HD, yet 50% more expensive.

End result for me, the iPad 4 is leaps and bounds a better choice than the Mini...remember, I said the best choice for me...YMMV, but I think the Mini is a weak, weak tablet on many fronts.

I agree with what this person said 100%. I am blown away that Apple would enter the 7" tablet market with a mediocre spec tablet at a premium price. The reason I am surprised is because I was expecting Tim Cook to continue Apple's tradition of innovation. If he wants to stay CEO he will need to change things fast, otherwise I expect stockholders are going to start speaking up about the recent stock plummet.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
No. Use my 3 for heavy use. Mini is more for games & using before sleep. I def. use my 3 more than my mini b/c of the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.