Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:36 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'Nightline' Looks at Apple's Woes as Stock Declines 20% from All-Time High

Apple's stock is now down 20% since its all-time high set in mid-September, with investors concerned about the company's prospects for the future amid a management shakeup and questions about where the company's next major revenue growth driver will come from. Samsung's rise to prominence in mobile device markets is also weighing on Apple as the iPhone's market share growth has slowed or even declined in recent quarters.

The difficulties being experienced by Apple are gradually gaining higher visibility outside of the financial markets, with ABC's Nightline running a segment (via Fortune) addressing the issues. The evening news show had previously been granted access to Foxconn factories producing Apple products in response to public criticism over worker treatment at the facilities.

Apple is expected to have a monster holiday quarter on the strength of the iPhone 5, iPad mini, fourth-generation iPad, and updated iPod and Mac models nearly across the board. But with Foxconn still struggling to meet demand for production of the iPhone 5, which is Apple's primary revenue driver, there are some concerns about whether the quarter's performance will be quite as big as many are hoping for.

Article Link: 'Nightline' Looks at Apple's Woes as Stock Declines 20% from All-Time High
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:37 AM   #2
tuncer
macrumors member

Ouch. Let's hope the worst is over.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:39 AM   #3
JayJayAbels
macrumors 6502

It's bottoming out now. Won't drop below 525. If it hits 550... buy. The holiday season along with the earnings call in the beginning of 2013 makes this stock have awesome potential! Let the big wigs who bought earlier jump ship. It's time to make money on this one.

Apple's a stock you want to have for the long haul.

JayJayAbels is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:14 AM   #4
foxnews1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayAbels View Post
It's bottoming out now. Won't drop below 525. If it hits 550... buy. The holiday season along with the earnings call in the beginning of 2013 makes this stock have awesome potential! Let the big wigs who bought earlier jump ship. It's time to make money on this one.

Apple's a stock you want to have for the long haul.

when someone posts this optimistic prediction on a public forum like this, it is a signal of stock peak and time to sell.

Apple is already the largest tech company. The only way to go is down, not up.
foxnews1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:15 AM   #5
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxnews1 View Post

Oh how many times have we heard this...too many to count.
Ryth is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:17 AM   #6
woodynet
macrumors newbie

LOl

Oh wow, apple now joins the rest of me stock holdings .... -20%
woodynet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:19 AM   #7
foxnews1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
Oh how many times have we heard this...too many to count.
the same to dot com bust and real estate: too many to count
foxnews1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:21 AM   #8
JayJayAbels
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxnews1 View Post
when someone posts this optimistic prediction on a public forum like this, it is a signal of stock peak and time to sell.

See me in February.
JayJayAbels is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:22 PM   #9
senseless
macrumors 65816

The tablet and smartphone markets are becoming commoditized and competition is brutal. We saw the same thing in the mid 80s when cheap PCs flooded the market.

Also, there are a lot of pent up sellers sitting on huge gains that have been waiting for the peak. As they sell, the price goes down, triggering more stop loss selling etc.
senseless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:42 AM   #10
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncer View Post
Probably not, todays low 541.19, actual ~547
justperry is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:57 PM   #11
GorgonPhone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
there is nothing on the horizon that will boost apple back up and they have shown since iphone 4 that they are not willing to actually make new products
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:23 PM   #12
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorgonPhone View Post
there is nothing on the horizon that will boost apple back up and they have shown since iphone 4 that they are not willing to actually make new products
I don't think "new products" means what you think it means.
LagunaSol is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:13 PM   #13
AppleInTheMud
macrumors regular

Quote:
Why ? It's good that it goes down.

As I said month's ago... If you scre***w your customers it will ruin your bussiness. And thats whats happening now.

Nothing new... Just the same stuff in new casings.

Dont get me wrong... Used to be a fanboy. Im just not wearing pink glasses. I see they are messing everything up. Every new product since Mountain Lion is a joke and downgrade :-(

And the stoke market and many websites says the same... The pattern is very clear. But I now. Most people on this site see apple as some kind of god. Yea even I used to. But wake up. Now they are just taking your money for new machines that actually are worse than the old ones. New iMac - A joke. New iPad Mini - poor quality. New iPhone 5 - Whats new ??? Ooohhh yea. The apps and OS has become more crappy. Was good in 2007 but now ?

Im pissed ...

I still like my Apple TV eventhough it cant show all videos from youtube because apple has to fight google over patents thats not even theirs...

Without Steve Jobs it seems Apple will go down again...
AppleInTheMud is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:43 PM   #14
Dorje Sylas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInTheMud View Post
Dont get me wrong... Used to be a fanboy. Im just not wearing pink glasses. I see they are messing everything up. Every new product since Mountain Lion is a joke and downgrade :-(
Try just Lion (10.7). That was the first real clear point at which Apple's development shift into almost pure consumer single-use development started in earnest. 10.8 was just confirmation of that.
Dorje Sylas is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:37 AM   #15
slrandall
macrumors 6502

I was pretty impressed by Apple's hardware advancements this year.

Not so much with the software.
slrandall is offline   39 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:39 AM   #16
KdParker
macrumors 68020

Get in now before the stock bounce back after the holidays.
KdParker is offline   30 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:47 PM   #17
Gorthaur
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
Get in now before the stock bounce back after the holidays.
This might be wishful thinking, but I hope it drops even further so it can be accessible to many more people. Apple will surely bounce back.
Gorthaur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:48 PM   #18
rdstoll
macrumors 6502

A song for Apple shareholders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KFPyh-CQ60
rdstoll is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:40 AM   #19
dethmaShine
macrumors 68000

Yes, Apple has lost its shine.

What retards.

On a different note, where are these articles about google losing more than a 100pts in only two weeks?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:52 AM   #20
bwillwall
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethmaShine View Post
Yes, Apple has lost its shine.

What retards.

On a different note, where are these articles about google losing more than a 100pts in only two weeks?
If I could like this a million times I would
bwillwall is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:26 AM   #21
lowbatteries
macrumors regular

merry christmas!

Hope my Christmas bonus comes in time to buy some shares before the eventual upswing.
lowbatteries is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:21 AM   #22
LagunaSol
Banned

Anyone who freaks out about a 20% drop in AAPL hasn't been around the stock for longer than 2 years. Those fools deserve to miss out on the gains we long-term investors have enjoyed (and will continue to enjoy). I bought AAPL the day after a single-day 50% drop. Not long after it had dropped another 50%. Wish I had bought more then. Holding the stock long-term and not panicking at every 2-bit naysayer and market manipulator has been the best financial decision I've ever made. The stock shorters are laughing at you. Then they'll buy at artificially-low prices and make a killing on the upside. People are being played for chumps.

You want stock bubble? Look at Amazon.
LagunaSol is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:33 AM   #23
mccldwll
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
Anyone who freaks out about a 20% drop in AAPL hasn't been around the stock for longer than 2 years. Those fools deserve to miss out on the gains we long-term investors have enjoyed (and will continue to enjoy). I bought AAPL the day after a single-day 50% drop. Not long after it had dropped another 50%. Wish I had bought more then. Holding the stock long-term and not panicking at every 2-bit naysayer and market manipulator has been the best financial decision I've ever made. The stock shorters are laughing at you. Then they'll buy at artificially-low prices and make a killing on the upside. People are being played for chumps.

You want stock bubble? Look at Amazon.

Yes. And, as I'm sure you're aware (unlike most here since that's not the purpose of this "highly relevant educational forum") the manipulators have been making huge profits on the weekly and monthly options markets as they've marched it down, only to make a killing when they take it back up. They will take it back up. They have to. This is their biggest money machine, and has been for past half dozen years or so, but it only makes money if they keep it moving in both directions. Aapl has little trouble moving up on its own with solid fundamentals, so all the energy can go into "the sky is falling" FUD machine.
mccldwll is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:47 AM   #24
wol
macrumors member

Stock price dropping - who could have anticipated this?

Emm...
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...5#post14660295

Stock prices are forward looking. With the Nexus 10 and Nexus 7, Google started competing with Apple both in PRICE and SPECS in the tablet market. Apple has two options
i) keep current price points for iPad and iPad mini until after the holidays. This will result in lost sales, and hence a decrease in market share as budget conscious holiday buyers will select Nexus over iPad
ii) lower entry price point for iPad and iPad mini. As a result Apple's profit margins will suffer.

Either way, while Apple still remains a highly profitable company, the revenue growth projections now look somewhat less good than past accomplishments. On top of this, the global economy seems to be heading towards another slow down, i.e. one can anticipate a decline in the overall discretionary spending of consumers.

Last edited by wol; Nov 8, 2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: typo
wol is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:22 PM   #25
HiRez
macrumors 601

The bottom line is Apple needs some good news. When is the last time Apple had good news? The US Samsung trial outcome? And even that's not necessarily good news (Samsung could still appeal and win, Apple is perceived as an anti-competitive bully). It's all bad news, all the time for Apple now.

They are hemorrhaging market share in both phones and tablets and it doesn't look like that's going to stop anytime soon (the $329 price tag on the iPad Mini is not going to help that). They have allowed Samsung to climb up to and play on their level, they are no longer the uncontested top dog. Part of this is Samsung's enormous marketing campaign, I can't remember a recent commercial block on television in the last 3-6 months where there wasn't at least one Samsung commercial. Apple isn't answering this assault. They are still playing cute but boring commercials while Samsung is repeatedly hammering them in the face with a lead pipe.

The market share slip is going to have more consequences. For example, for years Apple has kept the carriers like AT&T and Verizon in control because the iPhone was the hot item everyone must have. Now, even if Apple products are still good, there are legitimate choices for people. How long before those carriers don't really need Apple anymore and begin to reassert control, leading to smaller subsidies?

I really hope Apple gets its mojo back but right now they really appear to be the company that is back on its heels in a defensive stance or, at best, are oblivious to what is happening. They need to get a little bit of an edge and fight back. I hope Jony Ive is going to shake things up, but that's going to take time, I doubt we'll see tangible results for a year or more. And a year is a long time.

Sure, a lot of what's happening to Apple stock isn't fair, it's based on perceptions and assumptions, and probably some market manipulation as well. But that's the world we live in, Apple needs to figure out how to turn that perception back around because they are very quickly beginning to look like the "old" tech company, you know, the one that used to be cool but lost its way.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion