Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage7.png
Last week, RealMac announced that its popular to-do app Clear was coming to the Mac, complete with iCloud syncing between the iOS and desktop clients. However, a number of commenters expressed concern with the planned $14.99 price point for the app.

RealMac Software has heard those voices and priced Clear for Mac at $6.99 through Monday, and then $9.99 for some amount of time after that. Eventually, the price will rise to the planned $14.99.

Clear for Mac is currently $6.99 on the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Clear for iPhone is $1.99 on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Clear for Mac Launches With Lower Price Through Monday

KevinMHC

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
whats so good about this app? it looks hella ugly and it works like any other typical to do app

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
So to get syncing, which is a feature they market heavily for this app, you need to pay for both the OS X version and the iOS version? That's $9* for something that reminders does for free.

*Edit: unless you buy it later, in which case it's $17...

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Is it just me or does the Reminders app for iOS/Mac do the exact same thing for free?

You're right, it does. I used Clear on my iPhone but realized this can done with the Reminders app which also has time/location alerts. Much better and built right in so no need for this app. Plus it's completely overpriced!

BrockC

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
Il
I cannot believe they ever asked $14.99 for this app. That's pretty insane if you ask me. Reminders works just fine for me. :p

ichris2

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2007
duh

Show me a business model that starts off with a low price and gradually raises it on a product with unlimited supply?

I tried this app...the interface sucks. It's easy to accidentally move and delete items.

As previously mentioned the the native Apple app does what this one does for free and better.

niewiesznic

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Internet
17$ ? 6$ at lower price. Forget about it.
I use Clear for iOS, but I will move to native iOS app, because of location service.
Also, Clear for iOS is not working with my iCloud, saying documents is not enabled, or iCloud is not enabled. It is enabled.
The app is only for 10.8.2. I wont buy 10.8 until next year when it would be safe to move my pro apps to this system, many users will do the same.
On the other hand, I wish native iOS app would have the interface of Clear or Clear with location service.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Overpriced! You get so much more with 2do. And maybe someday apple will make reminders even somewhat competitive...

dav146

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2007
I use this app all the time on my phone.

I have paid for the version for my macbook - so now my missus can update the shopping list on the fly and I can ensure that I get everything she is after without the need for a dozen phonecalls while i am in Tesco / Asda.

It has its uses for me - so I bought it.

kralnor

macrumors member
May 29, 2012
This app is severely lacking in features. I still wonder how it's gained that much traction and attention.

It meets all the criteria for success in Mac/iOS land

1. It looks pretty
2. It is way too expensive
3. It has a cool sounding name that doesn't really have a whole lot to do with the app's function
4. It's lacking many features of the competition

TypeEE

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
You can tell this app paid top notch for marketing. It went to top download on iOS when no one knows what it is, then it sank to no where after 2 weeks in the app store chart. When they release the mac version, they again pay different website to market their app.

CodeBreaker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
Sea of Tranquility
My free setup which is everything I need:

On iOS: Siri + Reminders
^ ^ ^ ^
| | | |
iCloud
| | | |
v v v v
On OS X: Reminders + a little app I made to quickly add Reminders (which works with Dictation)

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I use this app all the time on my phone.

I have paid for the version for my macbook - so now my missus can update the shopping list on the fly and I can ensure that I get everything she is after without the need for a dozen phonecalls while i am in Tesco / Asda.

It has its uses for me - so I bought it.

You think an app will "fix" your woman?

Xano

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
Pricing it is always tricky for a company on software development.
Even simple and minimalist apps are tricky to build.
So i will not judge the work behind it, I believe there is a lot of work and the staff need to be paid.

The main questions here is; "i will not pay $6.99 for an app who don't offer nothing new."

Give us something really new, because already exist much (better/functionality) and free in the app store.
Why I should pay when I already have better options out here?

At the moment (like millions of Mac users), I became very selective on my purchases.

Think about it!

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
At 6.99$ the app is already way too expensive. 2.99$ max for an app like that.

I have the app on my iPhone, eventually uninstalled it. Really reminders is enough for me.

k2director

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2006
Reminders is very clunky, interface wise.

REMINDERS IPHONE:

* Reminders can't re-arrange the order of tasks without hitting the "Edit" button first. Then you can drag your tasks around, and then have to hit the "Done" button. Three clicks minimum to rearrange the order of a task, while Clear does it in one single click.

* Reminders "+" button is not very responsive (to add a new task). Often, I have to hit it a couple times to get it to create a new task entry. Clear does this with a simple, reliable drag of your thumb.

* Reminders places all new tasks at the bottom of your list, but when you launch the app, it shows you the top of your list, so you can't see the tasks you just entered until scrolling down. Clear enters new tasks at the top of the list, where you can see them and decide how to order them without unnecessary scrolling. Also, Clear lets you insert a new task at any position in a task list with a simple reverse-pinch. With Reminders, it takes several steps to do that.

REMINDERS MAC

Similar differences between the desktop apps as well. Plus, Reminders Desktop doesn't sync immediately with the iPhone app. You sometimes have to quit Reminders and then relaunch to make it sync. We'll see how the Clear Mac app does on the synching account...

THE ONLY advantage Reminders has over its competition, in my view, is that you can speak Reminders/Remembers right into Siri. Wish Apple would let other developers use that functionality.

S

syd430

Is it just me or does the Reminders app for iOS/Mac do the exact same thing for free?

I don't use clear but I will say that Reminders is POS. Try using the monstrosity that is the Reminders web app (iCloud) if you use windows. It's the most ugly POS you will come across (its literally the ios app blown up to fit your monitor) with even less functionality than the crippled ill-thought-out ios version. It's embarrassingly laughable.

IMO the only 2 serious contenders are RTM (if you need access via a windows browser), or Things if you use mac.

Omnifocus is also only worth it if youre hardcore about strict GTC, which I and most other normal people are not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.