Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caspersoong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I bought iPad 3rd gen quite a while ago and it is starting to collect dust. My Macbook Pro seems to take all the duties my iPad once did. I am wondering, is there really much the iPad does way better than smartphones and laptops? PDFs and magazines, for sure. eBooks, of course. And games, due to its portability coupled with large screen. Photos, due to its beautiful color-accurate Retina Display.

But is there anything else? Most of the apps have similar functionality on the large iPad and small iPhone. Reading news, browsing, etc are better on smartphones IMO because of the fact that it can be drawn out of your pocket so fast. Music is not better due to its reduced portability (compared to smartphones). I used to think iCloud made iWork on iPad so useful but now I use iCloud as just an automatic sync-er so iWork on iPad acts as a document viewer. Formatting differences cause iPad iWork not to be very useful.

Do you have a similar experience? Are there really things other than those listed above in which the iPad just blows smartphones and laptops out of the water? Can you please recommend any apps that work much greater on the iPad compared to the iPhone? Thanks!

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
For sitting in front of the TV in the Lazy-boy, the iPad can not be beat for cruising the Internet! For all real computer stuff I still need a real computer. The iPad is mainly recreational for me:rolleyes:

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
For sitting in front of the TV in the Lazy-boy, the iPad can not be beat for cruising the Internet! For all real computer stuff I still need a real computer. The iPad is mainly recreational for me:rolleyes:

Same here.

Photoshop or Movie Editing is still a job required by my iMac, but for web browsing or playing games, that job belongs to my iPad mini.

caspersoong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Thanks for the replies. Any other comments and answers to my original questions?

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I actually prefer music on the iPad mini. It's small enough to carry around now and the Bluetooth connects to my car stereo quite easily. I don't even have to take the mini out of my backpack and it connects to the stereo and I can control everything right from my head unit. Same goes for walking with my Bluetooth headphones. Mini stays put in the backpack and my iPhone doesn't have it's battery drained prematurely.

I also use iWork (Pages and Keynote) quite a bit on the iPad. Presentations and documents are easy to create, share, and present right from my mini. I know that the iOS versions are quite inferior compared the the desktop versions but instill find them handy.

I also prefer doing things like managing my ebay sales other web things from the mini. I toyed with getting the iPad 4 for the superior retina screen but am very happy with my choice.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
YouTube videos/TV shows - I'm reluctant to say movies though as the 16:9 aspect ratio for movies uses only about half the display, but other types of videos as I said are really good.

Web-browsing - more closeup view and interaction with touch display, more of an intimate feel.

I mean, the regular computer is better than the iPad at all of the above if you want to multitask and view many things at once, but individually as a whole for consuming with individual focus, the iPad kills.

I mean not only this, but the iPad as a whole is more like the "Lazy-boy" as mentioned above, "use-in-bed, couch" type of thing - a lot more lightweight, comfortable, and convenient in this case.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Surfing and browsing the Internet: Internet at your finger tips is a lot more interactive and personal than Internet with a keyboard and mouse. You can touch the links, and move along, which is great! It's fast and interactive where the medium of a keyboard and mouse might feel disconnected. It is literally the Internet at your finger tips.

Emails: It's a tedious thing on the computer, but for some unexplainable reason, it's not so bad on the iPad. I suppose it's because the computer feels like a workstation, and everything else feels like work on it, while the iPad i a fun device. I guess I like the mail app, because scrolling through email is easy and I don't have to log into multiple emails to delete things. I suppose the computer doesn't fall short there though.

Reading: Who wants to read on a laptop? The iPad has more of a paper/book feel to it. PDFs are easy to get and load up on the iPad. You don't need Adobe Reader. I enjoy it.

Youtube while eating. If you don't want to set up a whole thing in front of your TV or computer, watching Youtube on your iPad is great, and it's easy. You just put it in front of you, which is a lot easier than moving in front of your TV or clearing away your keyboard and mouse before you eat. If you are like me, you have no place to set down your computer, then the iPad is great since it doesn't take up too much space.

Social Networking: Messenger apps and Social Networks like Facebook are great on the iPad. The device is portable, so you can move about while doing other things. You can be standing or sitting while doing so.

The iPad is great when your computer is too big and awkward while holding standing up. The iPad is great when your smartphone's screen is too small or when you want to enjoy the full sized Internet website instead of the smartphone version. The iPad is good for use while standing and sitting, unlike the notebooks. It has more screen and more battery life than the smartphone. It's less awkward to pull out an iPad during a meeting unlike the notebooks or smartphones.

I hope this helped. I use my iPad almost daily! Mostly at home now, but it's still my device of choice for certain tasks...

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
iPads are mainly consumption devices and they do that extremely well. I can surf the web, read my ebooks, or watch videos and movies very easily. Occasionally I play a game on it.

For real work I use my MBP.

token787

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
I like carrying my ipad with me, it's everything at your finger tips. Want to check mail-it's a snap, want to check your bank account-it's there, want to quickly look up something-it's fast. I like carrying it to the library or Panera bread to study or watch movies. I got tired of lugging the macbook around it became too heavy and takes up to much space in my book bag or roller bag. I now can put the Ipad in my book bag or purse and don't have to worry about the weight or making room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.