Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:33 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Samsung Galaxy S III Estimated to Top iPhone 4S in 3Q 2012 Worldwide Shipments

Research firm Strategy Analytics today released a report estimating that Samsung Galaxy S III smartphone overtook the iPhone 4S for the top spot in global shipments.
Quote:
Samsung's Galaxy S3 smartphone model shipped 18.0 million units worldwide during the third quarter of 2012. The Galaxy S3 captured an impressive 11 percent share of all smartphones shipped globally and it has become the world's best-selling smartphone model for the first time ever.
Apple observers will of course be quick to note that the iPhone 4S saw waning sales during the third quarter leading into and following the launch of the iPhone 5, while the Galaxy S III is still riding relatively high as Samsung's flagship Android device since its launch in May of this year. Strategy Analytics also estimates that Samsung's position at the top will be short-lived, with the iPhone 5 expected to take back the crown for the current quarter.
Quote:
The Apple iPhone 5 has gotten off to a solid start already with an estimated 6.0 million units shipped globally during Q3 2012. We expect the new iPhone 5 to out-ship Samsung's Galaxy S3 in the coming fourth quarter of 2012 and Apple should soon reclaim the title of the world's most popular smartphone model.
Canaccord Genuity analyst Michael Walkley had previously reported that the Galaxy S III overtook the iPhone 4S in sales at major U.S. carriers back in August.

Article Link: Samsung Galaxy S III Estimated to Top iPhone 4S in 3Q 2012 Worldwide Shipments
MacRumors is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:34 AM   #2
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
I was wondering when this would show up on MacRumors.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:00 PM   #3
HannKett
macrumors member

I am one of those that bought the S3 for my wife. She threw it in my face, and said what a piece of cr@p.

So I got her a iphone 5 and she is happy again.

It was a interesting experience to try the android flagship and it isn't that great, compared to the iphone /iOS experience.
HannKett is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:09 PM   #4
frayne182
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannKett View Post
I am one of those that bought the S3 for my wife. She threw it in my face, and said what a piece of cr@p.

It was a interesting experience to try the android flagship and it isn't that great, compared to the iphone /iOS experience.
women just don't know hot to appreciate a good gift.

I would of drop kicked her right then and there.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Piggie
macrumors 601

Quote:

What a horrid person you are married to, I feel so sorry for you living with such an ungrateful human being
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:18 PM   #6
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

If she threw it in your face then she has no respect for you. But then again, your whole story is probably made up.
dalbir4444 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:54 PM   #7
hamkor04
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbir4444 View Post
If she threw it in your face then she has no respect for you. But then again, your whole story is probably made up.
haha, MOST PROBABLY YES))))
Actually S3 IS really good Android phone, I got Sony Experia U for work, and that was really good than I expected, but Im sure S3 is way better than U.
It is sad when this kind of pointless people, tying to represent Apple users
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:34 AM   #8
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
The iPhone 5 is the flagship iPhone. Thats what counts.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:35 AM   #9
Nathan20
macrumors regular

SHIPMENTS not sales...
Nathan20 is online now   15 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:39 AM   #10
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Theres so many different angles to view this news. fanboys from both sides would love to have their say. Grabbing the popcorn...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouimetnick View Post
The iPhone 5 is the flagship iPhone. Thats what counts.
you could say the note 2 is the top samsung too... (i realise its prob not as popular tho)

year over year sales would show a much better picture
nick_elt is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:39 AM   #11
bacaramac
macrumors 65816

I don't care how many they ship/sell. As long as Apple keeps making products I love, I'll continue to buy.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:43 AM   #12
WigWag Workshop
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacaramac View Post
I don't care how many they ship/sell. As long as Apple keeps making products I love, I'll continue to buy.
Exactly how I feel! I tried Android, it's not that bad, but it's no iOS. Let's hope Apple keeps innovating new stuff.
WigWag Workshop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:40 AM   #13
noverflow
macrumors regular

Add it up

So...
But if you add the iPhone 5 + the 4s, you get higher sales.

So the iPhone shipments are still higher.
Basically all this shows is that people stopped buying the 4s after the 5 was announced.

Not very interesting at all.
noverflow is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:42 AM   #14
wizzerandchips
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by noverflow View Post
So...

Basically all this shows is that people stopped buying the 4s after the 5 was announced.

And the fact is the s111... Is a nice phone
wizzerandchips is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:45 AM   #15
jrswizzle
macrumors 68040

The numbers I find interesting are the GS3's Q2 shipments vs. the iP5's Q3 numbers....

The GS3 was on the market for about 1 month (May 29 - June 30) of Q2 and sold/shipped 5.4 million units.

The iP5 was on the market for just over 1 week (September 21 - September 30) of Q3 and sold/shipped 6.0 million units.
Tablet: iPad mini retina, iPad Air
jrswizzle is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:48 AM   #16
iekozz
macrumors member

Quote:
So...

But if you add the Note II sales to the GSIII sales you get higher sales.

iekozz is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:54 AM   #17
kis
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
So...

Yes, and if you add SGS II Sales + Galaxy Nexus + the SGS III, the iPhone 5 sales all of a sudden aren't very interesting at all anymore, either.
kis is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:15 AM   #18
brdeveloper
macrumors 65816

Quote:
So...

Well, actually would be more precise comparing

Galaxy SIII, Galaxy SII, Galaxy Note I, Galaxy Note II versus iPhone 3GS, iPhone4, iPhone4S, iPhone5.

That is, we would be comparing Samsung flagship smartphones to Apple smartphones currently being offered worldwide.

P.S. #1: Don't tell me the Note is in another category because it's not. I use my note as my main smartphone, it fits perfectly into my pocket and I see a lot of people having it as a phone.

P.S. #2: An unlocked 3GS costs the same as an unlocked Galaxy II Lite in Brazil, so it would probably fair to get rid of this model in the comparison.

P.S. #3: the stats shown in this posts are meaningless... is much more like comparing Apples and Kiwis.
brdeveloper is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:42 AM   #19
dreamerof
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
year over year sales would show a much better picture
Hard to compare YOY as phones seldom are for sale for more than a year.
dreamerof is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:47 AM   #20
MacCurry
macrumors 6502

If you're going to count the iPhone 4s and 5 as the flagship phone sales, then you must count the Galaxy Note II as well. Before the iPhone 5s comes out, Samsung will have sold several million of Galaxy S4 in the 2nd quarter of 2013.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:45 AM   #21
chagla
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan20 View Post
SHIPMENTS not sales...
right because retailers seem to love stockpiling units of unsold S3 on their shelves.

it's probably a strange fetish.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:50 AM   #22
ActionJax
macrumors member

Using the (flawed) Apple-haters' logic, all these people flocking to the Samsung Galaxy S III are one or more of the following:
  • Sheeple;
  • Drones;
  • Stupid people easily fooled by marketing;
  • Kool-Aid drinkers.
ActionJax is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:09 PM   #23
inkswamp
macrumors 68020

I know this is anecdotal but I never see Samsung smartphones in the wild. I see iPhones constantly and know loads of people who own iPhones. I know people who have Android phones but can't think of one person who owns a Samsung Galaxy.

You'd think with these kinds of sales, I'd encounter owners/users a little more often. Am I living in some kind of bubble?
inkswamp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:33 PM   #24
RenoGuy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJax View Post
Using the (flawed) Apple-haters' logic, all these people flocking to the Samsung Galaxy S III are one or more of the following:
  • Sheeple;
  • Drones;
  • Kool-Aid drinkers.
Unfortunately your reasons for "flocking" to a Galaxy III apply just as much as to Apple Iphones!

Personally for a phone, I would choose a Galaxy II (as in 2) over the III OR any Iphone!

I guess I am a rare person that has no real need to use my phone for entertainment (that's why I own a high end entertainment center!) and 2 spare computers (one of them is an Imac!, One is a Windoz 7 PC, the final being a Linux Customized PC) ) + an Android tablet (More for my $$ even though I would have to "operate on it" to do so (Change the battery that is!)!

To make it clear, I am NOT an Apple hater nor an Android lover! I simply buy what works for whatever the Situation at hand! I have to be really careful with Apple since they DO make some really cool devices mixed in with their necessity items. Phone wise RIGHT NOW, THE Android Galaxy II (bought 2 wks ago- better deal than the III) IF Apple were to make a phone that had a user replaceable battery, I would have purchased that product!
RenoGuy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:17 AM   #25
inlovewithi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJax View Post
  • Sheeple;
  • Drones;
  • Kool-Aid drinkers.
I think the real difference is that people are flocking to the Samsung more because of it's specs rather than the logo. So I think that makes a big difference, though I'm sure many are still stupid people.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion