Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:40 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

AT&T Expands FaceTime Over Cellular Access to More Customers

AT&T announced today that it is planning to allow any customer "with an LTE device" on a "tiered data plan" to use iOS 6's FaceTime over Cellular feature. Previously, only customers with a Mobile Share plan could use the feature.
Quote:
AT&T today announced it will enable FaceTime over Cellular at no extra charge for iOS 6 customers with an LTE device on any tiered data plan. AT&T will also continue to offer FaceTime over Cellular to customers with any AT&T Mobile Share plan, as well as FaceTime over Wi-Fi, which has always been available for all customers. AT&T expects to roll out this functionality to customers over the next eight to ten weeks.

As part of its commitment to serving customers with disabilities, AT&T is also making FaceTime over Cellular available to deaf and hard of hearing customers who qualify for special text and data-only packages.
In practice, the change only affects iPhone 5 and iPad with LTE customers with tiered, though not unlimited, data plans. The company plans to roll out the functionality over the next 8 to 10 weeks.

Jim Cicconi, AT&T's head of External and Legislative Affairs, wrote a blog post explaining AT&T's thoughts on FaceTime. He notes that there was no way for the company's engineers to model usage and network impact and, as a result, the company was conservative in how it was rolled out.
Quote:
In this instance, with the FaceTime app already preloaded on tens of millions of AT&T customers' iPhones, there was no way for our engineers to effectively model usage, and thus to assess network impact. It is for this reason that we took a more cautious approach toward the app. To do otherwise might have risked an adverse impact on the services our customers expect - voice quality in particular - if usage of FaceTime exceeded expectations. And this is important for all our customers regardless of which smartphone they may use.
Article Link: AT&T Expands FaceTime Over Cellular Access to More Customers
MacRumors is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:42 PM   #2
SandboxGeneral

AT&T still doesn't get it. It's our data, and we should get to choose how we use it.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:45 PM   #3
milan03
macrumors 6502

Wait... what?! AT&T is deciding if I an use Apple's FaceTime app that comes preloaded on the iPhone? Only if on a tiered plan? How's this news?

Am I crazy or this piece of news begs for thrashing?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:46 PM   #4
powaking
macrumors 6502

My guess is they want to see who on the Unlimited plan will jump ship and just get a tiered plan instead.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:54 PM   #5
Spectrum Abuser
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
Wait... what?! AT&T is deciding if I an use Apple's FaceTime app that comes preloaded on the iPhone? Only if on a tiered plan? How's this news?

Am I crazy or this piece of news begs for thrashing?
You're crazy. If you signed up for a Mobile Share plan you've had Facetime access over the network since the iPhone 5 launched. AT&T is expanding the access to all tiered plans with an LTE capable device.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
So let me get this straight, AT&T: Because I've been a customer with you for over 4 years and have an "unlimited" data plan (that's not really unlimited) I'm being punished for not going to one of your tiered plans? You know I still pay your bill hand-over-fist every month, right?
This is old news. You're complaining about something that until today has been covered up by mounds of other articles.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:45 PM   #6
WannaGoMac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
AT&T still doesn't get it. It's our data, and we should get to choose how we use it.
They see it as it's their data they agree to provide...
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:46 PM   #7
Macdude2010
macrumors 6502a

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:47 PM   #8
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaGoMac View Post
They see it as it's their data they agree to provide...
I know that's what they probably think, but since we pay for that data, shouldn't we have some ownership of the use of that data too?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:46 PM   #9
F123D
macrumors 68040

Sorry 4S users. No facetime for you!
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:47 PM   #10
bbeagle
macrumors 65816

Quote:
They get it. They're trying to save money.

Offer someone an all-you-can-eat buffet for $10. Or an ounce of food for $2 each.

Offer spaghetti, hot dogs, macaroni and cheese, steak and lobster.

Don't let the all-you-can-eaters choose steak or lobster.

That's what they're doing.
bbeagle is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:57 PM   #11
JuBe
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeagle View Post

Offer someone an all-you-can-eat buffet for $10. Or an ounce of food for $2 each.

Not quite a perfect analogy... a bit is a bit is a bit. It's 0's and 1's... AT&T is discriminating against data... and that is a breach of net neutrality.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:57 PM   #12
rdlink
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeagle View Post

It's not them trying to make money that galls. It's the doublespeak and almost hostile attitude toward their paying customers. Which is why I use the buffet down the street. Die a slow, agonizing death, AT&T.
rdlink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:55 PM   #13
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Oh they get it. And that's exactly why they milk you for every penny.
gmanist1000 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:56 PM   #14
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Oh they get it. And that's exactly why they milk you for every penny.
I guess what I mean is they don't get it from our perspective or that they don't care about it.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:00 PM   #15
Macboy Pro
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
They do get it.
Its only your data if you buy it. You can buy the tiered plan.

I have said for a long time that AT&T should let everyone who wants an unlimited plan from 2007, have it. They should give them the 2007 network, with the 2007 network speeds and lets them use it to they are blue in the face. I doubt that would be make the AT&T Haters go away.

Last edited by balamw; Nov 8, 2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: OT/PRSI: No politics outside PRSI
Macboy Pro is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:01 PM   #16
Codyak
macrumors 6502

At no extra charge?? How nice of them!
Codyak is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:11 PM   #17
monkey28rb
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macboy Pro View Post
They do get it.

I have said for a long time that AT&T should let everyone who wants an unlimited plan from 2007, have it. They should give them the 2007 network, with the 2007 network speeds and lets them use it to they are blue in the face. I doubt that would be make the AT&T Haters go away.
So you are talking about the crowd who has been loyal to AT&T for years? That crowd? Yeah that would include me. I PAY FOR DATA, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO USE MY DATA ANY WAY I WISH. I have been with att then cingular then the "new att". As a loyal customer I do not like getting rapped up the *** when they don't allow me to take advantage of new features..

Last edited by balamw; Nov 8, 2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: OT/PRSI removed from quote. Circumventing profanity
monkey28rb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:18 PM   #18
clibinarius
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
They do get it.

They signed up for a contract on certain advertising. AT&T said they could keep it forever. Then changed what they meant.

I think you don't understand that a deal is a deal. AT&T wants to end their side of the deal without signing a new contract. Period.
clibinarius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:54 PM   #19
Macboy Pro
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by clibinarius View Post
They signed up for a contract on certain advertising. AT&T said they could keep it forever. Then changed what they meant.

I think you don't understand that a deal is a deal. AT&T wants to end their side of the deal without signing a new contract. Period.
AGAIN, the contract was unlimited data. It was not UNLIMITED SPEED AND DATA. If you are getting unlimited data and not being charged for overages, then you are getting what you signed up for. My 6yr old can understand this.
Macboy Pro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:25 PM   #20
clibinarius
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
AGAIN, the contract was unlimited data. It was not UNLIMITED SPEED AND DATA. If you are getting unlimited data and not being charged for overages, then you are getting what you signed up for. My 6yr old can understand this.
Well la dee da. I still think its deceptive to sign up for unlimited 3G service and then have it severely restricted. Go on and defend your plan. Guess what? I got a Subsidized iPhone 5 on Verizon. Plus, I have unlimited data on LTE. So...I think my setup is FAR better than yours.

Have fun defending being cheated.
clibinarius is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:47 PM   #21
techiegirl
macrumors 6502a

I have the mobile share plan on my iPhone and the unlimited data on my iPad. I've been able to Facetime from my iPhone since iOS 6. Today I received a Facetime call on my iPad and iPhone (it rings at the same time), and accidentally answered it on my iPad. I was surprised it worked. I didn't think it would work since the iPad has unlimited data.
techiegirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:23 PM   #22
sdsvtdriver
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
I have the mobile share plan on my iPhone and the unlimited data on my iPad. I've been able to Facetime from my iPhone since iOS 6. Today I received a Facetime call on my iPad and iPhone (it rings at the same time), and accidentally answered it on my iPad. I was surprised it worked. I didn't think it would work since the iPad has unlimited data.
No go for me. iPad on unlimited plan w/no mobile share on phone.
sdsvtdriver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:34 PM   #23
Macboy Pro
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by doelcm82 View Post
Are you talking about the "no new taxes" crowd?
No, the folks that vote for a living. They won Tuesday.
Macboy Pro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:54 PM   #24
theonekcrow
macrumors 6502

I think this is funny that they are offering this this with their $14 billion dollar network upgrade initiative thing. I bet all the overages they collect from this will pay for that.

At AT&T Corperate Offices

CEO- "We want to spend 14 billion dollars to upgrade our network."

*CFO pops in from another room*

CFO- "Uh, we don't have 14 billion dollars..."

CEO- "Enable FaceTime to our LTE iPhone customers.... They will use it and go into overage. Then, we will have 14 billion dollars."
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:57 PM   #25
yamatitan
macrumors member

Im sure a jailbreak will be out soon enough that will let me facetime on my unlimited plan, screw you att.
yamatitan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion