Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:02 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Cellular iPad Mini and iPad Models Arriving in U.S. Thanksgiving Week, AT&T Launching November 16?

A number of U.S. customers who pre-ordered cellular-capable models of the iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad are now reporting that their order statuses have been updated to reflect delivery estimates right around Thanksgiving.

Many MacRumors forum members are reporting that they are now seeing delivery dates of Wednesday, November 21, although several are seeing deliveries scheduled for Tuesday, November 20.

We've received a couple of reports regarding the cellular-capable models of the fourth-generation iPad, with delivery of those orders currently scheduled for November 23, which is Black Friday.

Apple had previously listed similar delivery timeframes for U.S. pre-orders, but removed those dates and replaced them with "mid-November" estimates before returning to the more specific dates today. Cellular-capable iPad mini and iPad models are arriving in the U.S. first, with other countries seeing deliveries following later in the month.

MacRumors has also received unconfirmed word from one source saying that AT&T will be launching in-store sales of the cellular-capable models of the iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad on Friday, November 16. This would appear to be somewhat inconsistent with pre-order deliveries not occurring until the following week, as Apple typically times deliveries and in-person launches for the same timeframe. Apple's pre-order delivery dates may, however, be subject to change.

Update 2:07 PM: We've heard from one customer who called Apple and was able to have his standard shipping upgraded free of charge to Next Day Shipping due to his travel plans, and his fourth-generation iPad order is now showing delivery on Friday, November 16.

(Thanks, Michael!)

Article Link: Cellular iPad Mini and iPad Models Arriving in U.S. Thanksgiving Week, AT&T Launching November 16?
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:06 PM   #2
AirThis
macrumors 6502

I still would like to use it as a phone. But I think I'm just misunderstood.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:08 PM   #3
gotluck
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirThis View Post
I still would like to use it as a phone. But I think I'm just misunderstood.
voip should work well enough over lte eh? I haven't had the pleasure of trying it.

it would be speakerphone only though :-/
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:11 PM   #4
AirThis
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotluck View Post
voip should work well enough over lte eh? I haven't had the pleasure of trying it.
Yes. But it would be great if it could work like a regular phone. Just for that handful of calls I receive. Last time I asked, the guys in the Apple store looked at me rather oddly. I suppose I said something I shouldn't have.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:16 PM   #5
gotluck
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirThis View Post
Yes. But it would be great if it could work like a regular phone. Just for that handful of calls I receive. Last time I asked, the guys in the Apple store looked at me rather oddly. I suppose I said something I shouldn't have.
heh, I believe it is possible with google voice with talkatone (no extra fees) or a similar service. The experience would lack the Apple polish though. My experience with voip over 3g has been spotty at best.

I've heard people with ipod touch's making calls over wifi this way. I'd be curious if it worked well over LTE. Could save some major $$ avoiding the voice plans.

Last edited by gotluck; Nov 8, 2012 at 02:22 PM.
gotluck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:30 PM   #6
extricated
macrumors regular

Quote:
But ... in STEREO!
extricated is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:11 PM   #7
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

Quote:

I've been using Skype over iPad for my only phone line ever since iPad 1 hit the shelves. Never tried it on speakerphone. I always just use the wired headphones, BT headset, or BT car system. Works fine.

I bought an iPad mini yesterday. As soon as I got home, I got out of the car, it slipped out of my hand, and the screen shattered. Brand new, and its ruined. Unbelievable.

Last edited by ThunderSkunk; Nov 8, 2012 at 03:19 PM.
ThunderSkunk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:28 PM   #8
tbayrgs
macrumors 68030

Well I certainly hope the rumored date for AT&T devices is correct as I travel for the holiday that night and will be returning/replacing my wifi only model with that morning. Would just be a bonus if I could have it for the trip.
tbayrgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:30 PM   #9
shenan1982
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSkunk View Post
I bought an iPad mini yesterday. As soon as I got home, I got out of the car, it slipped out of my hand, and the screen shattered. Brand new, and its ruined. Unbelievable.
Sounds like a case of "damaged in shipping" to me, hehe... OMG did I just say that? I'm going to hell
shenan1982 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:41 PM   #10
AirThis
macrumors 6502

Quote:
heh, I believe it is possible with google voice with talkatone (no extra fees) or a similar service. The experience would lack the Apple polish though. My experience with voip over 3g has been spotty at best.

I've heard people with ipod touch's making calls over wifi this way. I'd be curious if it worked well over LTE. Could save some major $$ avoiding the voice plans.
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by engg2000 View Post
You actually can and you would look real cool doing it. Just like when people use the full size iPad to take video in public places!
But seriously, if you want to use it as a phone, there are so many ways to do it.
Free outgoing phone calls: "Magicjack" app
Free outgoing/incoming phonecalls: Sign up for a USA google account, add google voice account and use the app: "Talkatone"

If you want to make it look like you are making calls from another phone number such as your cell, go to Voip.ms and get a paid VOIP number. Then, use the app "Bria".
They all work okay on a good 3G data plan but they work really well on LTE.

There's my helpful VOIP tip of the year.
Thanks as well. I'll be playing with those apps for sure. Didn't realize it was actually so simple. Hope all this stuff works in Europe as well.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:50 PM   #11
EmpireITtech
macrumors member

Quote:
I've been using Skype over iPad for my only phone line ever since iPad 1 hit the shelves. Never tried it on speakerphone. I always just use the wired headphones, BT headset, or BT car system. Works fine.

No way!!?!!?! lol, i mean sorry about your iPad mini....why were you holding it in your hand getting outta the car?? that's gotta be one of the most popular ways devices break lol
EmpireITtech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:44 PM   #12
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpireITtech View Post
No way!!?!!?! lol, i mean sorry about your iPad mini....why were you holding it in your hand getting outta the car?? that's gotta be one of the most popular ways devices break lol
Yea, & I was planning on ordering my usual rubber back & screen protector when I got home.

I called Apple for the repair cost, and they said "Oh wow congratulations, you're our first broken screen call on the mini! ...but ah, sorry, that'll cost $219."

If the HD on my MBP hadn't self-destructed (a month out of warranty, yay!) and whitescreened me the night before & took a days work with it, I'd probably be less disappointed, but at this point my enthusiasm for fruity electronic gizmos has been replaced by a vague nauseous feeling.
ThunderSkunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:49 PM   #13
Glockcubed
macrumors member

I called and changed my delivery to next day, she did it for free and as an extra bonus, she credited back the cost of my smart carrying case, $49.00 plus tax. What great customer service.
iPad 4 64 GB (mine
Glockcubed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:13 PM   #14
jonfarr
macrumors 6502

Just called and offered to pay for overnight shipping since I will be out of town for Thanksgiving. I was told there was no overnight or expedited option as apple sends them as fast as possible. He said the 21st is the soonest possible day to get it, even if I was out of town. He would not bump it to expedited at all... I call lies on the people that are claiming this.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:11 PM   #15
bbydon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Credit card protection?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:18 PM   #16
Sinatrafan
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhdragon View Post
Told the same thing...so how are others supposedly having their orders shipped overnight?
Was told the same thing twice (two phone calls), that all LTE orders are all being expedited as is and that shipping couldn't be changed to 'expedited' or 'next-day'. I was told I could change shipping addresses, even though my order included an already-shipped lightning cord.

To those that were successful: how did you broach the topic, what what exactly did you ask?
Sinatrafan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:38 PM   #17
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbydon View Post
Credit card protection?
Hm. Not really familiar with cc protection. Not even sure what I'd be asking them for. Would they reverse the charge and then I'd stick best buy with this broken iPad? That wouldn't be right... Or would they somehow help to cover the $219? Curious.
ThunderSkunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:14 PM   #18
blacktape242
macrumors 6502

what about the mother@#$#^#$! iphone 5?!?!??!!?!?!!?!?!??
blacktape242 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:23 PM   #19
DayOfChaos
macrumors 6502

I couldn't get bumped up to one day, but they bumped my date up to the 21st, I'm not complaining!

I am actually leaving for Spain, so I am glad to see this article. Thanks Apple!
DayOfChaos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:01 AM   #20
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I've been using Skype over iPad for my only phone line ever since iPad 1 hit the shelves. Never tried it on speakerphone. I always just use the wired headphones, BT headset, or BT car system. Works fine. I bought an iPad mini yesterday. As soon as I got home, I got out of the car, it slipped out of my hand, and the screen shattered. Brand new, and its ruined. Unbelievable.
Bummer. I feel for you, my friend. This is something that could have happened to any one of us.
Too bad you didn't have APPLEcare+ In hindsight, the $99 would have saved you $71, in addition to getting the extra year's warranty, but that probably won't make you feel a whole lot better.

Last edited by macs4nw; Nov 9, 2012 at 05:33 AM.
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:38 AM   #21
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
Bummer. I feel for you, my friend. This is something that could have happened to any one of us.
Too bad you didn't have APPLEcare+ In hindsight, the $99 would have saved you $71, in addition to getting the extra year's warranty, but that probably won't make you feel a whole lot better.
Yea, this is the first iPad I haven't sprung for AppleCare on. I didn't, because after all these ipads, I figured they're so well made, only thing that I'd need it for is if the screen broke, and I was told AppleCare doesn't cover that anyway, only mfg defects, & battery/ram life. Haha, i swear, it's enough to make me think the universe is conspiring against me.
ThunderSkunk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:27 PM   #22
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

I called 7 times to different reps and couldn't get it changed. No matter what reason.
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:56 PM   #23
AzN1337c0d3r
macrumors 6502

1st call. Explained to rep that I wanted to upgrade to overnight shipping. She said it would be extra $12. I said fine and she upgraded it. Now it says delivery on the 16. But there appears to be no charge according to the website.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:05 PM   #24
MacDav
Banned

Quote:

Yes, I use the iPod touch with a MIFI device. VOIP works great. No contract and cost is way lower than Cell. If you need a lot of features then you must stick with cell. Eventually the market will shift to VOIP. Competition will drive it.
All cell features can be available on VOIP. Just a matter of someone doing it.

----------

Quote:

It works great for me. I use the iPod touch with a MIFI ,and use Skype VOIP.
I have voice mail and an internet phone number. Save a ton of money.
As I mentioned in another post, if you need a lot of features it won't work for you until it becomes more mainstream and they start having all the cell features.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:25 PM   #25
NeedMoreVideo
macrumors member

I have a Nov 23rd date for a 64gb iPad4 ATT.

I called them as well as my office (the shipping address) is closed the day after Thanksgiving.

They changed the shipping address to my house and credited me a free smart cover...

I didn't ask or mention the smart cover at all, they just did it.
NeedMoreVideo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion