Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:48 PM   #1
WuLabswuTecH
macrumors newbie

How to best migrate to new iPod touch?

Hi All,

I have an old iPod Touch 3g that has been jailbroken, running iOS 5. I recently acquired a new iPod Touch 5g that is not jailbroken (no need to since it can do everything I need it to now) on iOS 6. I wish to migrate, SOME, but NOT ALL, of my stuff from one iPod to the other. What is the best way to do this?

Namely, I don't need any setting migrated, just data. In particular, notes and photos. All my email and such are on an exchange server and most apps with data are on their own accounts so those migrated fine. But over the years I built up a lot of junk in terms of apps and I don't want all of my 100s of apps to migrate over. Music is all stored on my computer as well in iTunes so that's not an issue. But other than emailing myself each note and photo one by one, I don't see a good way to migrate...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

-Wu
WuLabswuTecH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Aspasia
macrumors 6502a

I have an iPad 2 and got a touch 5. Like you, I only wanted selected apps on my touch. I just went to the app store and installed the desired apps on the iPod touch, then set those particular apps on both devices to iCloud.

Most likely an inelegant way of doing it, but it seems to have worked in terms of having the same data on each device.

Did not want to have my photos stream between both devices but you can do that in the settings.

Hopefully your JB won't interfere; I don't know anything about JB, obviously.
Aspasia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:50 PM   #3
The13thDoctor
macrumors regular

Theres a way to customise what you want backed up to iCloud. Do that and restore from the iCloud backup.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:20 AM   #4
new-to-mac
macrumors member

you can use dropbox. just install it on both devices and copy the photos to a dedicated folder on the source device and copy back on the destination device
new-to-mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:52 AM   #5
WuLabswuTecH
macrumors newbie

So I found out a way to get the 550 pictures off of my old iPod Touch, just plug it into the computer and you can copy the files off like any camera. My problem is now, how do I get these onto the new iPod touch?

I've tried photo stream and after 4 hours I am giving up. It just refuses to take the photos I put in the upload folder on my PC to my new iPod touch.

I tried plugging in the new iPod touch and copy pasting the old 550 pictures onto it but it won't let me write onto the new iPod.

I have also tried iTunes, but I don't want to sync my photos, I just want a one time transfer!

Any ideas?
WuLabswuTecH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:57 AM   #6
Snarl
macrumors member

This should work..

Copy the photos to a Folder on your computer
Open iTunes and add the Folder to your Library
Connect iPod and Sync Library/Folder
Snarl is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch