Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Hello. I an looking for an LCD, but not one for an Apple product or any product at all, just a plain old bare LCD with the board and cable. It needs to use an "industry standard" connection if at all possible, and it'll help if its thin. I have been looking for days and have come up empty handed. I also need the option to possibly order in bulk. I have thought about asking suppliers but I don't know where to start!

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Your best bet is to look in non-consumer areas. Consumer tech is way past that resolution/size so you might have to call around to business suppliers to see if they have any old stock. It probably won't be 'thin', as these LCDs are built to be long lasting (well, long lasting back when they started making it, you'll probably be getting moderately old models/stock) and be in use almost 24/7 as information displays in public areas.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Your best bet is to look in non-consumer areas. Consumer tech is way past that resolution/size so you might have to call around to business suppliers to see if they have any old stock. It probably won't be 'thin', as these LCDs are built to be long lasting (well, long lasting back when they started making it, you'll probably be getting moderately old models/stock) and be in use almost 24/7 as information displays in public areas.

The reason I chose this resolution was to get a better price, but the more I think about it I should probably get at least 1080p. If they are newer generation that'll be better. I plan on emailing some suppliers (like Samsung, LG, Sharp, etc.) For prices. Thanks

kdarling

macrumors P6
Staples almost always has some 20" 1600x900 or so namebrand monitor on sale each week for around $89.

All my laptops at home and work have a 20"-23" monitor externally hooked up. The second screen really improves productivity, because I can leave mostly static items (mail, IM, debugger, etc) up in that side screen ... almost like a dashboard... while I do most dynamic work in the main screen.

Also check out ubid.com.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Staples almost always has some 20" 1600x900 or so namebrand monitor on sale each week for around $89.

All my laptops at home and work have a 20"-23" monitor externally hooked up. The second screen really improves productivity, because I can leave mostly static items (mail, IM, debugger, etc) up in that side screen ... almost like a dashboard... while I do most dynamic work in the main screen.

Also check out ubid.com.

I'm just looking for a bare, OEM display. Not a whole monitor. Thanks though!

tgurske

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2008
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.