Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I had horrible wifi issues on my iPhone 5. 6.0.1 fixed that problem, but it broke both my wife and my daughters 4S. I AM a developer, but I hate to put beta software on their phones, but I will if I can conform that 6.1 Beta fixes this issue.

Does anyone have experience with this, and tell me if wifi is normal again again 6.1?

Thanks!

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
i have had no wifi issues with my 4S. not with iOS 5, or 6, or 6.0.1.

the fact that its not a widespread problem (or that these forums aren't flooded with that complaint) suggests that the issue might be in your end.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
I had a major horrible wifi issue on my 4S. This fixed it for me:

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

Apparently there are in some cases issues that can occur on the network you were connected to when you installed an upgrade.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I'm running an Apple Airport extreme 5th Gen and a Comcast cable hook up. On my Macbook Pro, iPhone 5 and 3 iPads, I'm seeing speeds up to 60 mbps. I used to see the same speeds on the 2 4S's I have here, and after the update, both the 4S's wifi speeds drop to 0.1. Painfully slow. If I connect the 4S's to my Verizon MiFi, the speeds are fine again. It's only when I connect to my Airport Extreme, and only on the 4S phones.

On the Extreme, I've turned off security completely, that didn't make a difference. I've set up an open guest account, and that didn't work either.

On the phones, I've tried resetting the network settings, a restore and set up as a new iPhone, a DFU restore and set up as a new iPhone... Nothing works on either 4S.

I'm going crazy with this. I can't roll back the phones to 5.1.1, I don't think I can roll back to 6.0, so my only choice I think is to try to instal the Beta on one of them and see if that helps.

I'm open to any suggestions if you guys have any. I have two females in my house not happy, and they let me know it. haha. I currently have them on my MiFi at home, using up my 5 gigs fast... Ahhhhh First World problems. haha

----------

the fact that its not a widespread problem (or that these forums aren't flooded with that complaint) suggests that the issue might be in your end.

The Apple discussion boards have a 151 page thread on this issue. It seems I'm not alone in this.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4310121?start=0&tstart=0

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Here's two speedtest results as well. The 4S and the iPhone 5 side by side. Again, I didn't see the issue with the 4S until 6.0.1, and it's consistent on 2 different phones here.

Attachments

• IMG_0255.PNG
    IMG_0255.PNG
    471 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0256.PNG
    IMG_0256.PNG
    400 KB · Views: 84

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
I'm running an Apple Airport extreme 5th Gen and a Comcast cable hook up. On my Macbook Pro, iPhone 5 and 3 iPads, I'm seeing speeds up to 60 mbps. I used to see the same speeds on the 2 4S's I have here, and after the update, both the 4S's wifi speeds drop to 0.1. Painfully slow. If I connect the 4S's to my Verizon MiFi, the speeds are fine again. It's only when I connect to my Airport Extreme, and only on the 4S phones.

On the Extreme, I've turned off security completely, that didn't make a difference. I've set up an open guest account, and that didn't work either.

On the phones, I've tried resetting the network settings, a restore and set up as a new iPhone, a DFU restore and set up as a new iPhone... Nothing works on either 4S.

I'm going crazy with this. I can't roll back the phones to 5.1.1, I don't think I can roll back to 6.0, so my only choice I think is to try to instal the Beta on one of them and see if that helps.

I'm open to any suggestions if you guys have any. I have two females in my house not happy, and they let me know it. haha. I currently have them on my MiFi at home, using up my 5 gigs fast... Ahhhhh First World problems. haha

----------

The Apple discussion boards have a 151 page thread on this issue. It seems I'm not alone in this.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4310121?start=0&tstart=0

this thread points out to an issue that greys out your wifi settings.

is that what you are experiencing? or slow connectivity?

quickly reading some of the responses in that thread i found out a couple of things:

-problem began in iOS 6 for these users.

-problem did not go away in iOS6.0.1 for these users.

-some claim that apple (via correspondence or genius appointments) say the only way to remedy this is to exchange the phone for a new one.

my personal opinion is that, in your case, something is definitely not right with your connectivity. you had problems with the iphone 5, then with two iphone 4s; and it appears to be related to speed and not a settings problem.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
this thread points out to an issue that greys out your wifi settings.

is that what you are experiencing? or slow connectivity?

quickly reading some of the responses in that thread i found out a couple of things:

-problem began in iOS 6 for these users.

-problem did not go away in iOS6.0.1 for these users.

-some claim that apple (via correspondence or genius appointments) say the only way to remedy this is to exchange the phone for a new one.

my personal opinion is that, in your case, something is definitely not right with your connectivity. you had problems with the iphone 5, then with two iphone 4s; and it appears to be related to speed and not a settings problem.

The issue is slow connectivity. The 5 had issues on any wifi I tried to connect to, at home, my MiFi, Starbucks... Everywhere EXCEPT the Apple store when I made the appointment, where it was perfect of course. 6.0.1 fixed the issue on the 5, now it works everywhere as it should. BOTH the 4S's worked as usual until the 6.0.1 update. Now both are equally and painfully slow. I just don't get it. I've tried just about every solution I have found, and thought of.

I did take the 4S into the Apple store, and magically, it worked correctly there as well. I was 2 weeks out of warranty but he said he would replace it if he could replicate the issue. He couldn't. I'm fairly certain is has something to do with the update along with my Extreme router, but as I said, I've turned off security, and tried an open network (like in the Apple store) and it still crawls. When using the MiFi with WPA protection on, the 4S works just fine. I'm pulling out hair by the fist full. :eek:

As that thread goes on, it gets into MANY people with just simply slow and bad connections as well as the greyed out WiFi bar. That one, I haven't seen yet.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
for what its worth i use WPA2 protection in my house and have had no issues.

do you have a limit set on the amount of devices your router accepts online at any given time?

perhaps if you download an app such as network analyzer (available in the app store for 1.99) it might help you pinpoint the problem, or post your findings here for people to help you out.

edit: btw, you might want to check out this thread.

Last edited:

ITS ME DAVID

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Pasadena, Ca
for what its worth i use WPA2 protection in my house and have had no issues.

do you have a limit set on the amount of devices your router accepts online at any given time?

perhaps if you download an app such as network analyzer (available in the app store for 1.99) it might help you pinpoint the problem, or post your findings here for people to help you out.

edit: btw, you might want to check out this thread.
I had this issue with my iPad mini on 6.0.1 last night I logged into my router ip and reset my router and all is good.

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
The issue is slow connectivity. The 5 had issues on any wifi I tried to connect to, at home, my MiFi, Starbucks... Everywhere EXCEPT the Apple store when I made the appointment, where it was perfect of course. 6.0.1 fixed the issue on the 5, now it works everywhere as it should. BOTH the 4S's worked as usual until the 6.0.1 update. Now both are equally and painfully slow. I just don't get it. I've tried just about every solution I have found, and thought of.

I did take the 4S into the Apple store, and magically, it worked correctly there as well. I was 2 weeks out of warranty but he said he would replace it if he could replicate the issue. He couldn't. I'm fairly certain is has something to do with the update along with my Extreme router, but as I said, I've turned off security, and tried an open network (like in the Apple store) and it still crawls. When using the MiFi with WPA protection on, the 4S works just fine. I'm pulling out hair by the fist full. :eek:

As that thread goes on, it gets into MANY people with just simply slow and bad connections as well as the greyed out WiFi bar. That one, I haven't seen yet.

I read something around the forums about WPA2. Try using WPA2 with TKIP instead of AES. If that doesn't work, I've also heard going into the Network Setting itself for your network (in your Settings->Wifi) and making it use the Proxy Auto instead of Off/Manual.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.