Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tmurray315

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
So I had the iPhone 5 since day 1 I pre ordered it I had a case and screen protector on it I took my case off and noticed on the sides of the phone has some Knicks and scratches should I care about it I know it can't stay perfect but I'm
Not sure if I should go to Apple and return it

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Do you mean replacement? Or a actual return.. In your situation sand or grit/debris most likely gotten in your case and scratched the phone. Its a terrible misconception, people think "oh let me throw a case on, i will never get a scratch" but if you dont clean your phone and case every few days or once a week, your phone will get scratched no questions asked.

There is always sand/debris in pockets and sliding your phone in and out gets the sand/debris in the opening of your case and thats how it happens

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
So I had the iPhone 5 since day 1 I pre ordered it I had a case and screen protector on it I took my case off and noticed on the sides of the phone has some Knicks and scratches should I care about it I know it can't stay perfect but I'm

Has this been caused by grit or dirt getting into the case and rubbing against the iPhone? Presumably the marks weren't there when you first put the case on?

Incidentally, is the iPhone black or white?

Tmurray315

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Ya it is when I first got the phone it was flawless no scratches or anything I put a front screen protector on it and got a case and its probably from the case. I do put it in my back Pockett alo I just got a speck case hopefully it won't get scratched anymore. Should I keep it or get it replaced it sounds stupid but not sure

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
Ya it is when I first got the phone it was flawless no scratches or anything I put a front screen protector on it and got a case and its probably from the case. I do put it in my back Pockett alo I just got a speck case hopefully it won't get scratched anymore. Should I keep it or get it replaced it sounds stupid but not sure

I doubt that Apple will replace it if the scratches have been caused by the case. :(

Tmurray315

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Ya I know oh well things can't be perfect has anyone else got any scratches on theirs due to usage

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Scratches can be from either the case or defective anodizing coating. If you can get the black to rub off with normal wiping, the anodization is defective and you should be able to swap it out under warranty. If not, it's caused by the case and Apple won't replace it.

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2010
New York

So you know your phone is scratched from something you did and are asking if you should return it? :rolleyes:

I'm sure whatever scratches you have are not noticeable to the naked eye.

Put the case back on and carry on with your life :rolleyes:

Rhythmic-

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
So you know your phone is scratched from something you did and are asking if you should return it? :rolleyes:

I'm sure whatever scratches you have are not noticeable to the naked eye.

Put the case back on and carry on with your life :rolleyes:

Sounds like OP's more worried about it getting worse, which is perfectly fine seeing as it's barely even a month old device. It ain't about being OCD, it's the fact that a month old phone shouldn't be getting scratched this easily. Lots of people don't like that, and if that bothers you, then look the other way and carry on with your life.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Sounds like OP's more worried about it getting worse, which is perfectly fine seeing as it's barely even a month old device. It ain't about being OCD, it's the fact that a month old phone shouldn't be getting scratched this easily. Lots of people don't like that, and if that bothers you, then look the other way and carry on with your life.

The OP will have no problem swapping it out if he can demonstrate that the anodization is indeed defective, but there are some pretty poorly made cases that will scratch even the 4/4S so it's not necessarily an issue unique to the iPhone 5, especially if you're not careful with dirt and gunk infiltrating the case over time.

jshin100

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2009
Chicago
I've had mines since Thursday. Out of the box, it was perfect. Just noticed a little nick near the bottom where the mic goes but nothing big. I didn't notice it til I took the case off (which may have done it).

Tmurray315

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
I think the phone got scratched from my case it's not noticeable I rub the sides and back nothing seems to scuff it but I do see Knicks and scratches along this sides I don't know how they got their I'm guessing its my case but not sure

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
The glass on my iPhone 4 got literally hundreds of nicks/scratches around the edges of the front and back around the camera lens from a hard plastic case I had on it. I thought it was protected and when I took it off those we're all there along with dust, dirt, etc. I was not rough on my phone, I never got it noticeably dirty, but I had in my pocket all the time. Overall I am turned off by cases, unless they are TPU or something soft, which I am not convinced the dirt under them wouldn't scratch a phone either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.