Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
Just got it today. Google wont do it so i guess i'll try my luck here.

I cant fire the shutter when in ordinary single exposure mode. But when i move the dial to show the red dot which changes it to multiple exposure mode, the shutter fires normally.

Anybody have any experiences with it before?

Thanks!

Last edited:

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Take it to a Pro Camera shop, and look for an, um, older tech there. If they can't figure it out, they will know someone who does... or they will call a shooter who is still using the RB.

I used to know the answer to this one, but it's been too many years to do this without the camera in front of me.

If I suggested Vistek, does that make sense to you? If you are in Ottawa there is a wonderful used camera store down the street from the Vistek there. They may have some lenses for the RB, plus will know how to use it. If you are in Vancouver, try Beau Photo or Leos. If you are in Calgary try The Camera Store or Vistek.

If that doesn't help, just try to find a long established pro shooter in your community.

Those cameras are beasts. But good lenses, and they produce negatives that are pretty close to a 4x5 in size. But a beast. I went with the Mamiya 645 system because I liked to shoot handheld.

Try searching on Youtube....

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
Just had a vague memory surface....

IIRC, those cameras needed you to advance the film and cock the shutter. If you are set to multiple exposure, then of course the camera is not waiting for the film to advance so it ignores the "film not advanced" marker.

More vague memories... some film cameras (but maybe not the RB) actually needed film loaded when you advanced the film because it was the movement of the film that physically set the "film advanced" marker. But I think the RB didn't need the film loaded. But I could be wrong.

There was also funny business about the film advance - there was a setting that could get knocked, if memory serves, that would negate the "film advanced" setting. But it may just have been that the school had very old RBs.

Hope some of this helps.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
Take it to a Pro Camera shop, and look for an, um, older tech there. If they can't figure it out, they will know someone who does... or they will call a shooter who is still using the RB.

I used to know the answer to this one, but it's been too many years to do this without the camera in front of me.

If I suggested Vistek, does that make sense to you? If you are in Ottawa there is a wonderful used camera store down the street from the Vistek there. They may have some lenses for the RB, plus will know how to use it. If you are in Vancouver, try Beau Photo or Leos. If you are in Calgary try The Camera Store or Vistek.

If that doesn't help, just try to find a long established pro shooter in your community.

Those cameras are beasts. But good lenses, and they produce negatives that are pretty close to a 4x5 in size. But a beast. I went with the Mamiya 645 system because I liked to shoot handheld.

Try searching on Youtube....

Just had a vague memory surface....

IIRC, those cameras needed you to advance the film and cock the shutter. If you are set to multiple exposure, then of course the camera is not waiting for the film to advance so it ignores the "film not advanced" marker.

More vague memories... some film cameras (but maybe not the RB) actually needed film loaded when you advanced the film because it was the movement of the film that physically set the "film advanced" marker. But I think the RB didn't need the film loaded. But I could be wrong.

There was also funny business about the film advance - there was a setting that could get knocked, if memory serves, that would negate the "film advanced" setting. But it may just have been that the school had very old RBs.

Hope some of this helps.

This really helped! Thank you so much! Im in Victoria so the only ones i actually trust are Kerrisdale's and local camera traders.

Anyways, I also believe that film has to be loaded, because on both backs that i have, the 120 and 220, it wouldnt work without loading film and another guy on flickr also mentioned that film should be loaded.

I'll try loading the film and see what happens.

Thank you!

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
This really helped! Thank you so much! Im in Victoria so the only ones i actually trust are Kerrisdale's and local camera traders.

Anyways, I also believe that film has to be loaded, because on both backs that i have, the 120 and 220, it wouldnt work without loading film and another guy on flickr also mentioned that film should be loaded.

I'll try loading the film and see what happens.

Thank you!

There is also Victoria Camera Repair. The system may need cleaning in any case, and if so I'm sure they will help you figure out how things work. Ironically, I'm close by Victoria - though a ferry ride away. My experience with the RB system dates back 20 years, and then only as part of a course. But if Vic Camera Repair or Camera Traders can't help, try posting a note at Western Academy School of Photography. There are some instructors there who may have more current experiences with it.

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
Havent shot with my RB67 in years, but if I remember tight, you dont need to have the film loaded to release the shutter.
But you need to have the film cover plate removed. Ia. the silver slider in the film pack.

I have a old RB67 that is so worn out that it releases the shutter even with the
flim plate on.
And once in a while, it doesnt release because the shutter lock is "on", even if it is turned off. You know, the little switch around the shutter release button.

AAAaand , third most common problem (if I remember right) is the X / M switch
on the lens.
It might affect the shutter release as well, if things have worn out.

Take things apart, check out that no pins are twisted/release/move normally.
RB67 are about the most simple and robust cameras ever released.
I took my rig apart several times when travelin and things got gobbed up & jammed due to dust and ****.

Happy shooting.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
Havent shot with my RB67 in years, but if I remember tight, you dont need to have the film loaded to release the shutter.
But you need to have the film cover plate removed. Ia. the silver slider in the film pack.

I have a old RB67 that is so worn out that it releases the shutter even with the
flim plate on.
And once in a while, it doesnt release because the shutter lock is "on", even if it is turned off. You know, the little switch around the shutter release button.

AAAaand , third most common problem (if I remember right) is the X / M switch
on the lens.
It might affect the shutter release as well, if things have worn out.

Take things apart, check out that no pins are twisted/release/move normally.
RB67 are about the most simple and robust cameras ever released.
I took my rig apart several times when travelin and things got gobbed up & jammed due to dust and ****.

Happy shooting.

Hey can you help explain the X/M switch on the lens to me please? Its something i'm quite curious on and havent been able to find answers!

Thanks!

shashin

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011
The X/M switch refers to the type of flash being used with the camera. X means electronic or strobe type. M means flashbulb style.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.