Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josh Kahane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Suffolk, UK
Hi

I already have an unused SSD which I'd like to put in a 2.5" thunderbolt enclosure if possible. Does anyone know of any available?

I can't find one, if not, what a good alternative solution might be?

Thanks.

jeroen020

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I've been look into Thunderbolt external storage for a while now. Most solutions include disks such as LaCie or G-Drive.

You can plug an SSD in the Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt. It will fit but won't be very solid, you may want to pick up a GoFlex enclosure on eBay to put your SSD in.

Caldigit mentions an enclosure but it doesn't seem to be for sale: http://www.caldigit.com/Thunderbolt/T1T2.html

I bought a LaCie Thunderbolt eSATA hub and hooked it up to 2x256GB Samsung 830SSDs that I put into eSATA enclosures myself, set up in RAID0, getting 440MB/s that way.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
I've been look into Thunderbolt external storage for a while now. Most solutions include disks such as LaCie or G-Drive.

You can plug an SSD in the Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt. It will fit but won't be very solid, you may want to pick up a GoFlex enclosure on eBay to put your SSD in.

Caldigit mentions an enclosure but it doesn't seem to be for sale: http://www.caldigit.com/Thunderbolt/T1T2.html

I bought a LaCie Thunderbolt eSATA hub and hooked it up to 2x256GB Samsung 830SSDs that I put into eSATA enclosures myself, set up in RAID0, getting 440MB/s that way.

I use something like these with my goflex adapter.

Nemic

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
I use the portable Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt adapter with a Crucial M4 256 GB SSD, and it works very well.

It is very fast.

I am currently using elastic bands to attach a small pad of paper to the SSD, so that it does not flex too much - when plugged in the SSD does not rest against the adapter base.

There is a long thread in the Mac Mini forum, where they were testing various sizes of SSD's with this adapter, with varying success.

I also use this adapter to transfer photo's from CF cards, using an adapter I bought on eBay.

My thread about this is here :https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14859567#post14859567

In the photo's you can see how the card does not rest against the base of the adapter. Also I think that the base may be magnetised, so think that having some sort of gap or barrier may be advisable.

mario24601

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
ministation would work too if you dont mind opening up to tear out the hdd...ministation comes with TB cable so little cheaper.

marmotmammal

macrumors member
I don't think there's a 2.5" enclosure available yet. I've been looking and waiting, gave up on Caldigit. I use the Seagate GoFlex for home with raw 2.5" and 3.5" drives. That method is rouge, but it works, and I use rubber band technology to secure the drive, and junk mail to pad it.

But I'd like a bus-powered Tbolt drive for the road, one which I can interchange drives at my leisure, just like I do on my desktop workstation. If I feel adventurous I'd buy a Lacie or OWC 2.5" Tbolt/USB3 external drive and try to open it. If I could see both of them at a store, I can assess if it's possible. There probably won't be a 2.5" Tbolt enclosure for a while. It's too niche. It took years for Acomdata to make FW800 2.5" enclosure, and very few companies followed suit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.