Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:17 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Samsung Reportedly Hits Apple with 20% Price Increase for iOS Device Chips

MarketWatch reports on an article from Korean newspaper Chosun Ilbo claiming that Samsung has hit Apple with a 20% price increase on the A-series chips used to power Apple's iOS devices.
Quote:
"Samsung Electronics recently asked Apple for a significant price raise in (the mobile processor known as) application processor," the person was quoted as saying in the report. "Apple first disapproved it, but finding no replacement supplier, it accepted the (increase.)"

The two firms have started to reflect the new supply price recently, the report added, citing the same person.
While Apple's latest A6 and A6X chips are custom designs from the company's in-house chip team, Samsung continues to serve as the foundry for manufacturing the chips used throughout Apple's iOS device lineup.

A bill of materials estimate for the iPhone 5 pegged the cost of the A6 chip at approximately $17.50, meaning that a 20% increase in price would translate to roughly $3.50 in increased costs per unit for Apple.

Apple has been reported several times in recent years to be attempting to move chip production to TSMC, but so far the company has been unwilling or unable to make the switch. TSMC's upcoming 20-nanometer process targeted for mass production in late 2013 could, however, serve as a catalyst for a move.

Article Link: Samsung Reportedly Hits Apple with 20% Price Increase for iOS Device Chips
MacRumors is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:19 AM   #2
HishamAkhtar
macrumors 6502a

Hey Tim, how's Apple's thermonuclear war going?
HishamAkhtar is offline   42 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:23 PM   #3
marksman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HishamAkhtar View Post
120 billion in the bank, I suspect it will go well as Apple migrates off of Samsung and Samsung loses their biggest customer.
marksman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:32 AM   #4
dreadnort
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
120 billion in the bank, I suspect it will go well as Apple migrates off of Samsung and Samsung loses their biggest customer.
sorry Samsung Global are their biggest customer

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
Samsung has basically just stolen everything from Apple at this point. Samsung will NOT "be more stronger" - it will be more weaker.

Samsung tries to build anything and everything in the world. They even make the garbage trucks to cart it all away after it breaks. Apple focuses like a laser on nothing but insanely great products and then recycles them responsibly.
{phones rings}"hello" "It's for you" Your village just called they need their idot back"
dreadnort is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:14 PM   #5
hamkor04
macrumors 6502

Quote:
friendly fire???

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
At some point Apple will just find a new supplier and it'll hurt Samsung more in the end.

Good job.
actually, they looking and trying to replace Sumsung completely but, it's costing Apple much than expected.
And it's very normal move from Samsung.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:37 PM   #6
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:

Well, the one billion dollars that Apple won from Samsung goes a long way towards helping with the extra seventeen billion Apple is now going to pay to Samsung.
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:19 AM   #7
Sky Blue

got to get that $1 Billion back some how!
Sky Blue is offline   28 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:20 AM   #8
Aluminum213
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
this, Samsung just got back its billion dollar loss
Aluminum213 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:22 AM   #9
dethmaShine
macrumors 68000

1. Seems fairly legal.
2. Fair as this is the first time they have increased the costs in the last 5 years according to my information.
3. 20% is steep in any conceivable manner.
4. This is probably true as they would want those billion dollars back (which they haven't paid yet).
5. Will reach to further negotiations in my opinion. 1/5th is high but I assume 1/7ths or 1/8ths will be appreciated.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:53 AM   #10
SeniorGato1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum213 View Post
1 billion / 3.50 = 285 million iphones to break even. That's not going to happen, but Samsung's on the right track!
SeniorGato1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:54 AM   #11
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorGato1 View Post
1 billion / 3.50 = 285 million iphones to break even. That's not going to happen, but Samsung's on the right track!
There's nothing to make back. Samsung hasn't had to pay Apple a dime as of current.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:58 AM   #12
itr81
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
There's nothing to make back. Samsung hasn't had to pay Apple a dime as of current.
I bet they are both paying thru the noses for lawyer fees. I bet some of the lawyers are making millions a yr just for representing Samsung or Apple in these cases.
itr81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:16 PM   #13
compguy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum213 View Post
Samsung hasn't paid $1B to Apple. These things take a lot longer than a single court ruling. This will be drawn out for quite some time and the most recent news is that Judge Koh is going to hear statements from Samsung questioning the jury foreman's integrity. For all we know, the entire thing could be overturned and started all over again.
compguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:25 AM   #14
Muscle Master
macrumors 6502

I love it...

Last edited by Muscle Master; Nov 12, 2012 at 08:31 AM.
Muscle Master is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:46 PM   #15
bawbac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
Last I heard Samsung is not paying anything.
bawbac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:19 AM   #16
Nathan20
macrumors regular

Making up for the court case loss.
Nathan20 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:19 AM   #17
wordoflife
macrumors 604

At some point Apple will just find a new supplier and it'll hurt Samsung more in the end.

Good job.
wordoflife is offline   38 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:20 AM   #18
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post

Good job.
Apple patently already have.

So given that Samsung may as well milk them for every penny in the meantime.
The Phazer is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:21 AM   #19
MasterHowl
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to MasterHowl
These big companies are so petty.

I wish they'd focus more on innovation and bringing out cool new tech rather than trying to screw each other over...
MasterHowl is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:29 AM   #20
g0odfr1end102
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterHowl View Post

I wish they'd focus more on innovation and bringing out cool new tech rather than trying to screw each other over...
AMEN to that!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:11 PM   #21
rockarollr
macrumors member

Quote:

That's EVERY company nowadays. Hell, most PEOPLE follow the same mindset these days. "Screw everyone else over - it's the new way to get ahead!" should be planet Earth's slogan.
rockarollr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:22 PM   #22
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

This notion that everyone should work together and be happy is nice - but ultimately not how a fallen world works.

I couldn't care less about this stuff, so long as my iPhones, iPads and Macs continue to function as they currently do relative to the competition and the service I currently receive and expect continues to be exemplary.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
No - it's one question - which flavor of the three do you want. How is that three questions. Are you really going to argue that I am asking for an answer to each flavor? A computer might process logic like that. People don't. That's sort of what makes us - you know - human.

Define love. Is there a right or wrong answer?

Was the movie I saw last night good or bad. Or perhaps YOU want me to break down a list of 1000 criteria points and answer yes or no to every one and then add up which is greater?

Who thinks like that? Seriously?
You're both right. Ultimately one deciding between three flavors is a yes to one and no to the other two. While your mind consciously may operate as if its a choice between three options, at the base of that decision lies three yes or no questions.

Computers work the same way. We don't see all of the "yes/no" questions being decided at the base level - we only see the end results/queries which most of the time seem far more complex.

What makes us human is the introduction of "feelings" which influence our decision making process. The capability to feel emotion toward something is what separates the data processing of the human brain from the data processing of the world's largest supercomputer. Still doesn't negate the fact that decisions at their basest form are comprised of "yes/no" questions.

Last edited by jrswizzle; Nov 12, 2012 at 01:29 PM.
jrswizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:30 PM   #23
samcraig
macrumors G5

Ok - let's look at this from another angle.

You have to have clear definitions of all choices to be able to say yes or no to. The problem is- in the world - words and definitions aren't defined the same way. There's interpretation based on life experience, gender, political leanings, geography, culture, etc and so on.

So I defer back to my statement. The world does not operate in black and white. You can argue that individuals might. I would still disagree. But at least you'd have an argument. But when talking about the world's population - it's not a simple yes/no. Unless you survey every single person and then take the majority as a rule. Only problem is - then there are people who won't/don't accept that as the rule. So there's nothing binary about it. Is there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
This notion that everyone should work together and be happy is nice - but ultimately not how a fallen world works.

I couldn't care less about this stuff, so long as my iPhones, iPads and Macs continue to function as they currently do relative to the competition and the service I currently receive and expect continues to be exemplary.

----------

You're both right. Ultimately one deciding between three flavors is a yes to one and no to the other two. While your mind consciously may operate as if its a choice between three options, at the base of that decision lies three yes or no questions.

Computers work the same way. We don't see all of the "yes/no" questions being decided at the base level - we only see the end results/queries which most of the time seem far more complex.
samcraig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:24 PM   #24
hamkor04
macrumors 6502

Quote:

they need money and power for that, so that would be "marketing principles" for them, sadly.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:21 AM   #25
MrT8064
macrumors 6502a

Slightest hint that Apple will switch to another supplier, Samsung put's price up as Apple are totally dependant at the moment. Clever, I guess.
MrT8064 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion