Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LS1

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
I have been waiting on the cellular ipad minis to come out as I know I will need the ability to have internet access when away from wifi. Yesterday I changed my cell phone plan to at&t's data share which includes tethering. I was thinking of adding an ipad mini to the plan for $10 a month (when available), but then I realized that I always have my iphone with me and could just use it as a hotspot for my mini when I need it. I have never tethered anything to my phone before so I don't know if it is a pain or anything.

So is there any reason that I should get the cellular ipad mini instead of the wifi version? The money aspect isn't a huge deal but it would be nice to save a little. Any info is appreciated.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
I also use my AT&T data share plan to tether my iPad to an iPhone. It is easy as touching a slider switch on the iPhone (under settings-personal hotspot). After setting up the first connection, each time you use it the iPad will connect to it. The iPhone may go through its charge quicker is the only issue.

Also if you add a cellular iPad to the AT&T plan they will also charge you a $36.00 activation fee on top of the $10.00 addition each month.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
If its only $10 it's worth it because
1- you don't waste the battery of your iPhone
2- consider it as "insurance" because you can leave your cellular data on 24/7 and use Find my iPhone, should you ever misplace your ipad
3- convenience. Press less buttons to get online

The $36 activation fee is something I never experienced with my account. If they try to get you to pay an activation fee, speak with a supervisor or hang up and call again

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
I would get the LTE iPad. Hotspot is nice and works in a pinch, but for me, the whole point is trying to save battery on my iPhone while also needing internet out and about. Using the hotspot drains the phone battery.

$10/month doesn't seem like much to me.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I use tethering regularly and it doesn't affect the battery as much as others believe. While it's would be nice to use the iPad without my phone, I wasn't about to pay the $129 upfront and an extra $10 a month just to use my same pool of data. I always have my phone with me anyway in the event of an emergency, so tethering was a no-brainer.

forza1976

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Grand Haven MI
That's what I do, just use the IP5 as a hotspot for my MBA and my ipad and it works great. No additional charge for the cellular version of the ipad.

hlkc

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
My iP5 has the grand father AT&T unlimited data plan. I really wished I can pay $10 to hotspot my iP and my Mini. The only way I can do that is change the unlimited grad father plan to something else and hot spot. By the time I do that, not to mention I lost the unlimited data plan, but I will end up paying more. I wish there is a simple Tethering app that I can just hotspot between the idevices these days.

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
I live in Madison, WI, which (for whatever reason) ins't 4G LTE yet for AT&T. Is tethering my Mini to my iPhone 5 hotspot still possible?

Honza

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2011
SF Bay Area
I just got an iPad mini and tried tethering through my iP5 for the first time. Like previously stated, it works great, and is super easy. I used it for about 20 minutes this morning after unplugging my iphone for browsing webpages, twitter, email, etc. and after 20 minutes my iphone battery was still 100% (with screen off). If you have WiFi at home, and tether about an hour a day, I don't think you'll run into any battery issues. I'm currently traveling and use it in the car and at the hotel where the wifi is crappy. No reason to get an LTE iPad if you can tether IMO unless money is not an issue.

AlanKA

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2012
The $36 activation fee is something I never experienced with my account. If they try to get you to pay an activation fee, speak with a supervisor or hang up and call again

I posted in another thread where I saved $246 in "activation fees" for each ipad (plus activation fees for switching to the new plan in genearl) by making a simple phone call. They immediately back ALL of those fees out without any argument.

I did make sure tell them that "no one in the store mentioned these fees" when I switched over in-store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.