Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage14.png
Apple is allowing a small group of employees to spend up to two weeks working on projects outside their standard job responsibilities. This was originally reported by the Wall Street Journal's Jessica Lessin, by way of Business Insider.
It's similar to Google's 20% time, which lets employees spend 20% of their time on side projects that could end up helping Google.

Lessin cautioned it was a "far cry" from what Google does. It's limited to a small group of employees at Apple.
We don't have too many details for how the program, reportedly nicknamed "Blue Sky", works. It may allow employees to spend time on their own projects, or if they could be temporarily assigned to other working groups within Apple.

Update: Lessin's full Wall Street Journal article is now live. Lessin focuses on how the corporate culture is changing at Apple since Tim Cook took over as CEO, noting that Cook has been more accepting of sabbaticals, has praised employees at Apple's media events, and that the company is more frequently giving counteroffers to employees considering posts at other companies.
When it comes to culture among technology companies, Apple is still an outlier. Its managers have long ignored standard Silicon Valley perks, such as free lunches, believing the opportunity to work at the company and on its popular products compelled people to stay.

Last year, in a session of Apple's internal management program Apple University, officials discussed how the company is in some ways more like the military than a traditional corporation, according to a person who was told about the presentation.

But under Chief Executive Tim Cook, who took over from co-founder Steve Jobs last year, Apple is becoming more employee-friendly.

Article Link: Apple Allowing Select Employees to Devote Time to Special Projects [Updated]

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
I wonder if Apple will own the rights to all of these "personal projects," or if they just maintain right of first refusal.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
easy to do when you probably have some of the most productive people on the planet working for you.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I wonder if Apple owns the rights to all of these "personal projects."

No, Apple is going to let their employees work on projects on Apple's time, with other Apple personnel, using Apple equipment, and then let them privately patent anything they create and make Apple pay them for the stuff they created.

Right!

Of course Apple owns the rights!!!

Last edited:

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
I think it was a good idea at Google and hopefully it will be a good idea at Apple. Giving creative people a bit of freedom can't be a bad thing, can it?

Stig McNasty

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
It's certainly worked well for Google. Maybe some of the ol' Woz magic Garage Dust can be sprinkled on fertile minds to bring about some epic new ideas an products.

iAco

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
In other words, Apple is losing it's innovation, so it lets a small group of its creatives play around which they hope will strike gold for Apple.

Normal. And who wouldn't do this?

Just like Netflix publishing a public challenge with a million dollar reward because Netflix's employees were too incompetent to solve the problem.

Some professors in Isreal ended up providing Netflix the optimal algorithm to their challenge.

It's normal.

Sep 17, 2007
Would not surprise if Jony has been working on the UI and it's much more advanced than we thought.

Don't think this 20% is new to Apple at all (just taken a while to come out/be speculated on).

Cali Fornia

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
Vienna, Austria
In other words, Apple is losing it's innovation, so it lets a small group of its creatives play around which they hope will strike gold for Apple.

Normal. And who wouldn't do this?

Just like Netflix publishing a public challenge with a million dollar reward because Netflix's employees were too incompetent to solve the problem.

Some professors in Isreal ended up providing Netflix the optimal algorithm to their challenge.

It's normal.

win-win-win (company, consumer, the guys who now own +1M), if you asked me.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012
Apple doesn't automatically own rights to the employee's projects. Remember a long time ago when Woz was deciding whether he wanted to develop his project for HP or Apple. In the end he decided to share his ideas with Apple.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
May help Google in what way? By completely taking our privacy from us? Give me a break. Apple is one of the few where you know what the deal is. I commend Apple for having this initiative for it actually may help Apple in their good innovation trail, not spying on internet and mobile phone users like Google.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
So Apple is testing the waters about copying Google ? :confused:

(a lot more than just Google do this, just a fun jab at the people here and their copying silliness).

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Apple doesn't automatically own rights to the employee's projects. Remember a long time ago when Woz was deciding whether he wanted to develop his project for HP or Apple. In the end he decided to share his ideas with Apple.
What world are you living in?
Any work done on company time using company assets is property of the company.

Woz was part owner... he had liberties no Apple lackey will ever enjoy.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Sounds more like requesting than allowing. The investment community buzz is that the golden goose is dead with Jobs gone. Apple may have an active program to alleviate this misplaced fear until the next thing, crippled by content owner and leasee contract requirements, can be unleashed.

I just want a program guide that knows what I have subscribed to, what I like and make it easy to just watch TV when I want to veg.

I can't have it.

Rocketman

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
What's newsworthy about this except it probably didn't happen while Steve was running the show (NOT implying its a bad idea).

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Steve Jobs would have done this under his rule if this idea had any merit. Tim Cook, you may very well be the next Ballmer.

Why do you assume that? Steve Jobs wasn't perfect. If you read the biography, you'll know he was completely, 100% against allowing the iPod to work with Windows. He only gave in because he was tired of arguing with everyone else who told him it was a no-brainer.

Imagine if Apple had done what Steve wanted with the iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.