Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:46 PM   #1
tekno
Banned

Give respected forum posters a greater presence?

It gets quite tiring sifting through the utter rubbish that an awful lot of people (me included) say on these forums, but there are a few people that genuinely understand Apple, computers, the industry etc. and give very insightful comments.

Would it be possible/desired to have forum members that get a lot of "up votes" to have all their comments stand out more than those who don't have many 'up votes'?
tekno is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:48 PM   #2
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
It gets quite tiring sifting through the utter rubbish that an awful lot of people (me included) say on these forums, but there are a few people that genuinely understand Apple, computers, the industry etc. and give very insightful comments.

Would it be possible/desired to have forum members that get a lot of "up votes" to have all their comments stand out more than those who don't have many 'up votes'?
Just block the people u don't want to see. Simple
Gav2k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:49 PM   #3
tekno
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
Just block the people u don't want to see. Simple
It's not about blocking people, it's about posts from the more educated/insightful members standing out.
tekno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:11 PM   #4
panda bear
macrumors 68000

"Respected" or "educated/insightful" is pretty relative and "likes" of a person's posts aren't really an accurate representation of respect, in my opinion.
panda bear is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:39 PM   #5
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
It's not about blocking people, it's about posts from the more educated/insightful members standing out.
Add them to your contacts then.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:10 AM   #6
RedTomato
macrumors 68040

The Contributors-only forum has what the OP suggests. See this very similar thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16286028
RedTomato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:34 AM   #7
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Those highly appreciated contributors/members might wouldn't need (or like) the additional exposure.

I think the avatars serving as a good "marking" of those members. I often look after the 'tar in long threads to pick up solid information. I remember the few 'tar's ...

And more often I wonder how they can be so patient explaining the same stuff again and again. Role models.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:35 PM   #8
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:

It would be nice. The problem is we don't really have a real reputation system here. There is the voting system, but it's not really meant for that.

vB has a reputation system but I'm not sure how accurately it reflects anything when implemented.

arn
arn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:14 AM   #9
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
It would be nice. The problem is we don't really have a real reputation system here. There is the voting system, but it's not really meant for that.

vB has a reputation system but I'm not sure how accurately it reflects anything when implemented.

arn
Let's find out... (Without negative reputation of course, just like no down votes)

Comeagain? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:34 PM   #10
Caliber26
macrumors 65816

Just open the thread without opening the forum itself and you'll see the most up-voted posts if that's all you really want to see. That's what I do, when I don't feel like reading 10+ pages of worthless banter. I only read the most popular posts and that gives me a good idea of what most people are thinking/saying of the topic.
Caliber26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:55 PM   #11
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

No big problem here.

If you're looking for rational, well reasoned, intelligent, and informative posts (did I mention intelligent?), just look for my avatar.

Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:10 PM   #12
kingc0bra
macrumors member

+1 on OP idea

Maybe allow the users with a lot of likes (over a certain limit) to become super-members if they so choose to

I agree it would be very helpful
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:25 AM   #13
hogprint
macrumors regular

The rep system on vbulletin is terrible. It was implemented on a different forum(MTBR) I frequent and it is a polarizing feature. Particularly the anonymous negative rep. Trolls love this. Regular users find it frustrating. Be careful what you wish for.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:16 AM   #14
annk
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTomato View Post
The Contributors-only forum has what the OP suggests. See this very similar thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16286028
I don't think it's the same thing. The OP is interested in the posts of people who "genuinely understand Apple, computers, the industry etc. and give very insightful comments". Those aren't qualifications for presence in the contributors forum, where a simple financial contribution is the way in.

I'm not saying that you won't find this type of member among the contributors, just that it's not a sub-forum that consists only of that type of member. It's just as varied as any other group.
annk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:14 AM   #15
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Unfortunately, there will be people gaming this. Essentially the first page of comments on a popular news story gets a lot of upvotes so how would you deal with this factor? Weighted upvoting? I don't think it's necessary. Besides, it would introduce complexity in how tapatalk works with the forums which may compromise functionality. With experience (and the avatar system and/or contacts) you get a similar effect.
Confuzzzed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:36 AM   #16
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
As long as there's some way to turn it off.

If posters/comments are highlighted based on voting, then based on the comments votes I've seen thus far the most highlighted posts will be - IMO - juvenile posts slamming anything Samsung does, or ridiculing anyone who has a complaint about the iPhone.

No thanks.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback