Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:12 PM   #1
Quixotic3
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
I just returned my Mini and here is why

I so wanted to love the Mini. I pictured myself casually pulling the mini out of a coat pocket at some coffee bar and surfing the web or maybe playing some angry birds. In reality the mini is too big and I had all of the same problems toting it around that I did with the normal size iPad ***but that is Not why I returned it. The screen... well I can honestly say that not having the retina was not a huge deal at first... I am old my eyes aren't what they used to be... but it kept bothering me for some reason... oh yeah, no... I got it ... the price. The reason I buy the best is... to... get... the best and I feel that my MBP retina is hands down the best laptop out there, and I feel that if I called apple support they will have an answer for me ( a company so far that isn't trying to do more with less...) so why Apple did you cheap out on the mini? It could have been the best thing ever just like all of your other products and at the premium that I paid over it's competitors it should have been. It should have had a better screen, better camera that did at least what the iPhone 5 camera does, more ram, and if you couldn't fit it in the size you released then you shouldn't have released it, Steve would not have...
Quixotic3 is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Binarymix
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixotic3 View Post
I so wanted to love the Mini. I pictured myself casually pulling the mini out of a coat pocket at some coffee bar and surfing the web or maybe playing some angry birds. In reality the mini is too big and I had all of the same problems toting it around that I did with the normal size iPad ***but that is Not why I returned it. The screen... well I can honestly say that not having the retina was not a huge deal at first... I am old my eyes aren't what they used to be... but it kept bothering me for some reason... oh yeah, no... I got it ... the price. The reason I buy the best is... to... get... the best and I feel that my MBP retina is hands down the best laptop out there, and I feel that if I called apple support they will have an answer for me ( a company so far that isn't trying to do more with less...) so why Apple did you cheap out on the mini? It could have been the best thing ever just like all of your other products and at the premium that I paid over it's competitors it should have been. It should have had a better screen, better camera that did at least what the iPhone 5 camera does, more ram, and if you couldn't fit it in the size you released then you shouldn't have released it, Steve would not have...
Screen technology, and Apple testing the waters.

If the mini does well, they won't 'off' it and will make a retina version next year hopefully.

I'll be buying it again for sure if it has a retina screen (without any screen issues). It's really the perfect size for typing with my thumbs, and just carrying from place to place.
Binarymix is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:36 PM   #3
syd430
Guest
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binarymix View Post
Screen technology, and Apple testing the waters.
I'll be buying it again for sure if it has a retina screen (without any screen issues). It's really the perfect size for typing with my thumbs

That's funny because I can type just as fast with my thumbs in portrait mode on the full sized ipad than the ipad Mini. Must have something to do with that split keyboard that nobody here seems to know exists.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:37 PM   #4
UnknownStudent
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binarymix View Post
Screen technology, and Apple testing the waters.

If the mini does well, they won't 'off' it and will make a retina version next year hopefully.

I'll be buying it again for sure if it has a retina screen (without any screen issues). It's really the perfect size for typing with my thumbs, and just carrying from place to place.
As expected once again, Apple is a disappointment to many users up until now. I just don't understand why there seems to be no new innovation towards their new products in their family line of products. The iPad mini turned out to be similar to a compressed version of iPad 2. I honestly don't understand why the iPad mini isn't up to date with the new line of retina display technology, when it is not surprising that they introduce the new retina display 13" Macbook Pro.

But without doubt, I agree with Binarymix that if they do come out with a retina screen and is comparable with my current iPad 3 retina, I would buy it. I would agree that the iPad mini is a lot lighter then my current iPad and it is more easy to carry from place to place. I guess that is the positive side about it.
UnknownStudent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:15 PM   #5
Mac... nificent
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownStudent View Post
The iPad mini turned out to be similar to a compressed version of iPad 2.
That's all it's supposed to be for now. If you're expecting a smaller version of the full sized mini then dream on. Apple did not come out with the mini just to cannibalize full iPad sales. They want new iPad sales.

Quote:
I honestly don't understand why the iPad mini isn't up to date with the new line of retina display technology
Because they simply do not need it for sales for the initial version. Why should they blow their wad out of the gate? By adding features incrementally they keep sales strong, and that's their main goal.
Mac... nificent is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:20 AM   #6
The Catalyst
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac... nificent View Post
That's all it's supposed to be for now. If you're expecting a smaller version of the full sized mini then dream on. Apple did not come out with the mini just to cannibalize full iPad sales. They want new iPad sales.

...

Because they simply do not need it for sales for the initial version. Why should they blow their wad out of the gate? By adding features incrementally they keep sales strong, and that's their main goal.
Exactly.

Releasing a bare bones mini was purely a profit move on their part (and a good one at that). Apple know they'll sell a ton of these, then they'll sell a ton on more when they give it a minor speed bump at WWDC next Summer. I doubt we'll see a retina mini before next holiday season, at the earliest.
The Catalyst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:57 AM   #7
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Catalyst View Post
Exactly.

Releasing a bare bones mini was purely a profit move on their part (and a good one at that). Apple know they'll sell a ton of these, then they'll sell a ton on more when they give it a minor speed bump at WWDC next Summer. I doubt we'll see a retina mini before next holiday season, at the earliest.
Glad I decided to jump on the iPad 4 at Black Friday price. It screamed bargain versus the Mini and I'll decide in the future if I'll go for the Mini depending on its price and specs. Right now a no go and I returned it.

I just don't get all these people going for the Mini that owned prior iPads and liked them a lot with no concern on size and weight and all of a sudden it is a BIG issue. The 4 is easily a better device especially at Black Friday price. Whatever, my Mini rant is over!
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:27 AM   #8
Mac... nificent
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Catalyst View Post
Releasing a bare bones mini was purely a profit move on their part (and a good one at that).
Correct. I read that 88% of all tablet sales on black friday were iPads. Even iPad 2 sales were strong, which surprised me. Apple knows what it's doing. People just need to relax and let Apple run Apple. If the mini doesn't live up to your personal specs, then simply don't buy it. Sooner or later it will get a Retina screen and faster processor, ect. and then you can all buy your dream tablet
Mac... nificent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:10 PM   #9
gatearray
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
All this talk about "last year's tech" really bothers me. If you note the benchmarks, the iPad 2, iPad 3, and iPad Mini all bench around 770 or so. The iPad 3 came out in March of this year and was the cutting edge until Apple surprised us with a new revision.

If the iPad 4 wasn't released 5-6 months early, would we even be having this conversation?

The fact is, the A5 is a chip being sold in several current Apple devices and the iPad Mini has plenty of power for iOS 6. It has similar benchmarks to the iPad 3 and all old and new iPad apps work perfectly on it.

For $329 it's an affordable entry into the iPad ecosystem, so what's the problem?
gatearray is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:23 PM   #10
lianlua
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac... nificent View Post
The the A5 processor is one big difference
In what way?

Quote:
but there are other differences between the two like the mini has two speakers, and the unibody shell is more rounded on the back and edges.
Sure, but that goes against the argument of the iPad mini "lacking" in comparison.
Quote:
There are other differences but they are small (pun intended) like SIM card size.
How is this either a quality or feature difference? There are obviously differences, but the question I am asking is what is the basis of claiming that the iPad mini under-delivers compared to any other iPad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatearray View Post
All this talk about "last year's tech" really bothers me. If you note the benchmarks, the iPad 2, iPad 3, and iPad Mini all bench around 770 or so.
Yep. Until November 2, the A5 was the best-performing Apple tablet SOC. The part number isn't even 9 months old yet.
lianlua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:26 AM   #11
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Geez Louise!

Some folks are returning the Mini for the 3rd or 4th gen. If one thinks it is just because of the screen I really don't know what to say to that truly.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:16 AM   #12
Mac... nificent
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lianlua View Post
In what way?
In the obvious way that the iPad4 has the A6 The mini will get the A6 too once they add the Retina screen, but it IS a difference which is what you asked for.

Quote:
Sure, but that goes against the argument of the iPad mini "lacking" in comparison.
I agree with you, and as I said before, I think screen and processor aside, the mini is the real winner.

Quote:
How is this either a quality or feature difference?
If you're referring to the new shape then this is no small thing. Hold both in your hands for 30 minutes and you'll soon see that the iPad4 feels more awkward and the mini still feels completely natural. Apple did a great job with the minis shape. I see this as a big improvement over the full sized tablet, which was already good. The mini is hands down the most comfortable tablet on the market.
Mac... nificent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:29 AM   #13
Awakener
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatearray View Post
All this talk about "last year's tech" really bothers me. If you note the benchmarks, the iPad 2, iPad 3, and iPad Mini all bench around 770 or so. The iPad 3 came out in March of this year and was the cutting edge until Apple surprised us with a new revision.

If the iPad 4 wasn't released 5-6 months early, would we even be having this conversation?
But the iPad 4 did come out, and it has doubled the benchmarks. iiPad 4 has made Pad Mini, iPad 2, iPad 3 outdated.
Awakener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:25 AM   #14
Mac... nificent
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakener View Post
But the iPad 4 did come out, and it has doubled the benchmarks. iiPad 4 has made Pad Mini, iPad 2, iPad 3 outdated.
Not true. Just because the iPad 4 is faster doesn't automatically make the others outdated That will depend on the apps requirements and I don't know of any app that requires the iPad4 processor. The A5 still handles apps perfectly well and only when apps require more horsepower will the A5 truly be outdated.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleChampagne View Post
I think the logical direction to go with someone that owns an iPhone 5 is the full sized ipad
That's personal preference. I know that if I had an iPhone I would still prefer the mini to the full sized iPad. I used my tablet mostly on the road and the mini is the correct size
__________________
.
Never say never, always avoid always, and expect the unexpected.
Mac... nificent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:17 PM   #15
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixotic3 View Post
I so wanted to love the Mini. I pictured myself casually pulling the mini out of a coat pocket at some coffee bar and surfing the web or maybe playing some angry birds. In reality the mini is too big and I had all of the same problems toting it around that I did with the normal size iPad ***but that is Not why I returned it. The screen... well I can honestly say that not having the retina was not a huge deal at first... I am old my eyes aren't what they used to be... but it kept bothering me for some reason... oh yeah, no... I got it ... the price. The reason I buy the best is... to... get... the best and I feel that my MBP retina is hands down the best laptop out there, and I feel that if I called apple support they will have an answer for me ( a company so far that isn't trying to do more with less...) so why Apple did you cheap out on the mini? It could have been the best thing ever just like all of your other products and at the premium that I paid over it's competitors it should have been. It should have had a better screen, better camera that did at least what the iPhone 5 camera does, more ram, and if you couldn't fit it in the size you released then you shouldn't have released it, Steve would not have...
You're right he wouldn't have. The device probably wouldn't even exist if it was up to him. Considering all the crap he talked about 7 inch tablet.
VandyChem2009 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:06 PM   #16
AdonisSMU
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
You're right he wouldn't have. The device probably wouldn't even exist if it was up to him. Considering all the crap he talked about 7 inch tablet.
Yet he talked crap about tablets in general. So in theory Steve Jobs wouldn't have released the first regular iPad or the 2nd iPad either. It's likely that the mini was already in testing and development at least a year before Steve Jobs died last year....as court testimony and documents indicate.

Last edited by AdonisSMU; Nov 15, 2012 at 03:12 PM.
AdonisSMU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:21 PM   #17
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post
Yet he talked crap about tablets in general so in theory Steve Jobs wouldn't have released the first regular iPad either. It's likely that the mini was already in testing and development long before Steve Jobs died last year.
As technology improves, you can do things that you didn't think you could do in the past. Why is this surprising?
BaldiMac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:36 PM   #18
AdonisSMU
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldiMac View Post
As technology improves, you can do things that you didn't think you could do in the past. Why is this surprising?
It's not hard to grasp but people saying Steve Jobs would never have released a mini iPad based on Steve Jobs' previous statements have no idea what they are talking about. I just wanted to point it out.
AdonisSMU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:18 PM   #19
toondw
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northumberland, UK
I presume you bought it blind then? You didn't read the specs before buying? I bet you buy houses and cars the same way? Shish!
toondw is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:24 PM   #20
deraj090
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
+1 BinaryMix
deraj090 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:26 PM   #21
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Op,

If the Mini was not cheapened out and the price was more as a result, you going to buy it or the iPad 4 instead?

HHhhhuuuummmmm!
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:43 PM   #22
Quixotic3
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
Op,

If the Mini was not cheapened out and the price was more as a result, you going to buy it or the iPad 4 instead?

HHhhhuuuummmmm!
I would have paid more. That being said the size did not work for me... I will purchase the iPad 4 as soon as the refund clears I am frustrated that the Mini was not just a smaller iPad 4 which it could have and should have been.
Quixotic3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:14 PM   #23
smiddlehurst
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixotic3 View Post
I would have paid more. That being said the size did not work for me... I will purchase the iPad 4 as soon as the refund clears I am frustrated that the Mini was not just a smaller iPad 4 which it could have and should have been.
Oh for gods sake... no it couldn't have been a smaller iPad 4! Do people not realise how ridiculous that statement is from an engineering point of view?

This has been talked about so much over the last couple of weeks it's ridiculous but really it's simple:

iPad Mini: 200mm x 134.7mm x 7.6mm, 308g, 16.3-watt-hour battery.
iPad 4: 241.2mm x 185.7mm x 9.4mm, 652g, 42.5-watt-hour battery.

See the bit in bold? That's how much power you need to run a retina-equipped iPad with an A6X SoC. You'd save a tiny bit with a smaller screen but nowhere near enough to make a significant difference. The iPad 4 has a volume of 421,034 cubic mm in which to fit the necessary components and battery pack, the iPad mini has 204,744 cubic mm. Half the volume. Or, to put it another way, you'd need an iPad Mini 15.63mm thick to give the same volume. Of course it isn't that simple but it gives you an idea of the scale of the problem. Plus, of course, it'd weigh twice as much as well.

If you want a retina display in a mini you're going to have to wait for new screen tech and, almost certainly, a new SoC. Oh, and a new battery tech wouldn't hurt either. This may, note MAY, be available next year it may take a little longer. If you want a mini this year then this is the compromise you make to get this form factor. Simple isn't it?

Edit - Just wanted to put that battery figure in some context. An 11" Macbook Air only has a 35wH battery, the 13" MBA a 50wH and the 13" MBP a 63.5wH unit. So right now the battery requirements for a retina-equipped iPad come in about 20% higher than the Intel-powered 11" Macbook Air and not that far away from the 13"...

Last edited by smiddlehurst; Nov 13, 2012 at 09:11 PM.
smiddlehurst is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:41 PM   #24
kas23
macrumors 603
 
kas23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiddlehurst View Post
Oh for gods sake... no it couldn't have been a smaller iPad 4! Do people not realise how ridiculous that statement is from an engineering point of view?

This has been talked about so much over the last couple of weeks it's ridiculous but really it's simple:

iPad Mini: 200mm x 134.7mm x 7.6mm, 308g, 16.3-watt-hour battery.
iPad 4: 241.2mm x 185.7mm x 9.4mm, 652g, 42.5-watt-hour battery.

See the bit in bold? That's how much power you need to run a retina-equipped iPad with an A6X SoC. You'd save a tiny bit with a smaller screen but nowhere near enough to make a significant difference. The iPad 4 has a volume of 421,034 cubic mm in which to fit the necessary components and battery pack, the iPad mini has 204,744 cubic mm. Half the volume. Or, to put it another way, you'd need an iPad Mini 15.63mm thick to give the same volume. Of course it isn't that simple but it gives you an idea of the scale of the problem. Plus, of course, it'd weigh twice as much as well.

If you want a retina display in a mini you're going to have to wait for new screen tech and, almost certainly, a new SoC. Oh, and a new battery tech wouldn't hurt either. This may, note MAY, be available next year it may take a little longer. If you want a mini this year then this is the compromise you make to get this form factor. Simple isn't it?
Maybe you explain this non-existant screen technology thing a bit clearer to me. I see both larger (iPad) and smaller (iPod) devices having better pixel densities. Heck, I even see the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 having way better screens. But, the screen technology for a better screen on the mini "doesn't exist". So, which is it? Are my eyes deceiving me when I see the Fire and Nexus screen killing the mini's? An optical illusion perhaps?

So, it will need a bigger battery. Ok, your point? The Fire and Nexus must have bigger batteries. (Those exist too, right?)

Thickness? Weight? Ok, that's fine. It would have been thicker and heavier. Apple never puts out a perfect gen 1 device. Just like they'll do with the mini next year with the screen ("now with retina!), they could have made it "thinner" and "lighter" as marketing ploy for 2013. They've done that trick many times. Heck, if Apple wanted to they could have even skimped on the battery and used the "now, with 30% greater battery life" marketing tool in 2013.

My point is that the technology does indeed exist. It's on the market as I write. There would have been trade-offs though. Ones that they did not want to make. Instead, to pad their margins, they put a ****** screen in instead. But, it was a decision they made, not one that technology forced upon them.
kas23 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:23 PM   #25
Gix1k
macrumors 68020
 
Gix1k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
My mini is going back soon for this reason as well.
__________________
LTE iPad Mini 2 32gb
iPad Air 32gb
iphone 5s gold 32gb
MacBook Pro Retina 13"
Gix1k is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All iPads: iPad Mini with Retina Display Returned! AdonisSMU iPad 40 Nov 17, 2013 11:11 PM
iPad Mini: I think I used to own the rarest iPad mini ever! But I returned it... aPple nErd iPad 3 May 30, 2013 11:28 PM
iPad Mini: Returned my iPad Mini, smart choice? iMichael! iPad 37 Jan 14, 2013 11:27 AM
iPad Mini: Returned iPad Mini today - too many headaches - now what? manito2000 iPad 107 Nov 21, 2012 03:55 PM
iPad Mini: Returned iPad 4 for mini and loving it! insimbi iPad 7 Nov 6, 2012 02:18 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC