Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:42 PM   #1
labars
macrumors member

Heart of the swarm release date announced!

Yay! We finally have a release date for the upcoming expansion to Starcraft II. Can't wait!

more info: http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/6512880/
labars is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:27 PM   #2
MacGamerHQ
macrumors member

I was eager to bring the news but you people are too damn fast
Next time I will come here before writing the post in my blog

Anyway, great news!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:49 PM   #3
ScottishCaptain
macrumors 6502a

Too expensive.

I don't care what is in it. Starcraft 2 was criminally short as-is. Somehow they made Starcraft (the original)- which had all three species in it and took a bloody long time to finish... And yet SC2 had to be split up so they could charge you $60 + $40 + $40.

$140 for a complete game?

No thanks.

-SC
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:34 PM   #4
Thraun
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishCaptain View Post
Too expensive.

I don't care what is in it. Starcraft 2 was criminally short as-is. Somehow they made Starcraft (the original)- which had all three species in it and took a bloody long time to finish... And yet SC2 had to be split up so they could charge you $60 + $40 + $40.

No thanks.

-SC
Translation: Wahhh wah wah wahh wah wah! I'm a buzzkill! Waaahhhh.
Thraun is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:49 AM   #5
rezenclowd3
macrumors 6502a

Location: Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber at the track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thraun View Post
translation: Wahhh wah wah wahh wah wah! I'm a buzzkill! Waaahhhh.
qft
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:02 PM   #6
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Too expensive.

No thanks.

-SC
This argument came up all the time when Blizzard announced their SC2 expansion plans, and I don't get it. "Criminally short"? SC2 had 29 missions, SC1 had 30. Splitting them up means they can devote the resources to making full-length campaigns for each race.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:16 AM   #7
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:

No thanks.
I'm thinking the same thing. SCII was alright. Not great, not bad. Merely good. Its not worth paying $140 to me. I'll wait for inevitable battle pack, and pick it up for $70 or so when it comes out.

...though we're in the minority here. You know Blizzard is gonna sell a million billion trillion copies of the game.
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:05 AM   #8
ScottishCaptain
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
This argument came up all the time when Blizzard announced their SC2 expansion plans, and I don't get it. "Criminally short"? SC2 had 29 missions, SC1 had 30. Splitting them up means they can devote the resources to making full-length campaigns for each race.
What don't you get?

Heart of the Swarm is actually $60 for a boxed copy in Canada here. That's the same price as Starcraft 2 when it launched (which is now $40).

So you're telling me it's OK for them to charge FULL POP for an add-on, but still require that you own SC2 first in order to play?

I'd be OK if they said "Hey, it's $30 if you already own SC2". I'd even be OK if they were selling it as a standalone game for $60, because after all- they're the ones who told us we should expect "separate games" (~30 missions/piece) and sit around waiting for not one but three full development cycles to complete.

But that's not how it is. It's an overpriced add-on pack, especially when you consider the current price of SC2 and the fact that it is a requisite to playing HOTS. I'm sure the Protoss pack will require SC2 and HOTS before you can play it. Tell me how that's not being unnecessarily greedy?

-SC
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:20 AM   #9
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
What don't you get?

Heart of the Swarm is actually $60 for a boxed copy in Canada here. That's the same price as Starcraft 2 when it launched (which is now $40).

So you're telling me it's OK for them to charge FULL POP for an add-on, but still require that you own SC2 first in order to play?

I'd be OK if they said "Hey, it's $30 if you already own SC2". I'd even be OK if they were selling it as a standalone game for $60, because after all- they're the ones who told us we should expect "separate games" (~30 missions/piece) and sit around waiting for not one but three full development cycles to complete.

But that's not how it is. It's an overpriced add-on pack, especially when you consider the current price of SC2 and the fact that it is a requisite to playing HOTS. I'm sure the Protoss pack will require SC2 and HOTS before you can play it. Tell me how that's not being unnecessarily greedy?

-SC
It's $40, the same price Blizzard's expansions have been for years.

The $60 price includes Wings of Liberty.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:59 PM   #10
AlyseM
macrumors member

That feels like a long way away. I'm not really sure I'm that excited about it. I loved star craft 2 multi player. Its competitive game play was one of my favorites. But 40$s and another year out? We'll see... maybe its competition will be stagnant.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games