Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamsen47

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2012
Kobe, Japan
My mini keeps playing these sounds every once in a while even though nothing is running (I think). Anyone know how I could go about identifying what app's causing those sounds?

They're very occasional, I'd say somewhere between 5~30 minutes. I notice them only when I don't have any music or videos playing. I thought it might've been Messenger or Chrome but the sounds continued even after I shut down those down.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
What are the specs of your mini? 2012 model I assume? If not, you running Lion? ML? What kind of noise is it?

There's a thread in which they talk about some noises. Haven't really been much into it as I don't hear anything, but it could be useful to you. ;)

iamsen47

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2012
Kobe, Japan
Mid mini 2012 with 16Gb ram.

I'm sure it's software, it's those sounds OSX makes when there's some kind of notifications which was why I suspected Messages initially. I didn't notice it till recently because I usually have an extended speaker cord plugged in but not connected to anything else. I unplugged it this past weekend and have been hearing it since.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
From what I can gather you are talking about something that is already being discussed in another topic. What you are hearing are simply HDD noises and nothing to be concerned about at all. The Mini is so silent these sounds are more apparent than they would be on a system with a loud whooshing fan.

iamsen47

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2012
Kobe, Japan
I'm quite certain it's not HDD noise, because I've been hearing it for the whole day today through my headphones.

I also know very well what a HDD click sounds like, though I am just new to Macs and still unfamiliar with its system sounds.

iamsen47

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2012
Kobe, Japan
Finally solved this problem.

Sounds were caused by people logging in and out on Messenger.

Anyone else with unexplained system sounds, try checking out your messenger settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.