Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:22 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Samsung Not Interested in Settlement with Apple over Patent Issues

With Apple and HTC having announced a settlement in their patent dispute, some observers have wondered whether the move could signal the beginning of a broader effort to resolve such issues throughout the industry. Apple and a number of Android device manufacturers such as HTC have been locked in court battles over their intellectual property for the past several years.

Samsung has rapidly risen to become the dominant Android device manufacturer and Apple's most significant foe in both the courtroom and the marketplace, but AFP reports that Samsung has "no such intention" of settling with Apple.
Quote:
"We have no such intention," J.K. Shin, the head of Samsung Electronics' mobile unit, told reporters on Wednesday when asked if Samsung would seek a similar settlement.
Yonhap has more on Shin's comments:
Quote:
"It may be true that HTC may have agreed to pay 300 billion won (US$276 million) to Apple, but we don't intend to (negotiate) at all," Shin Jong-kyun, who heads the South Korean tech giant's mobile and IT division, told reporters. [...]

While the terms of the settlement were undisclosed, market watchers speculate HTC will pay between $6 to $8 per phone, which would amount to $180 million to $280 million a year.
The patent battle between Apple and Samsung is already being played out in courtrooms around the world, with Apple's most significant victory in the series being a $1 billion verdict against Samsung in the United States. Not all of the cases have gone Apple's way, however, with one of the most visible defeats having been in the United Kingdom where Apple was ordered to post public acknowledgements that Samsung had not infringed upon Apple's registered design for the iPad.

Article Link: Samsung Not Interested in Settlement with Apple over Patent Issues
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:24 AM   #2
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
Samsung has the money for lawyers. They are larger than HTC, and can afford the fight. I must say though, Apple is becoming a patent troll. On some issues, I side with Apple, but these other claims are absurd.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:32 AM   #3
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouimetnick View Post
Samsung has the money for lawyers. They are larger than HTC, and can afford the fight. I must say though, Apple is becoming a patent troll. On some issues, I side with Apple, but these other claims are absurd.
A patent troll is someone who sits on their patents without practicing them and then sues someone who attempts to use the patented method or technology. You may think apple is overly litigious, but they do practice their own patents, so they are not a troll.
QCassidy352 is offline   44 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:36 AM   #4
JackieTreehorn
macrumors 6502

I am quite sure Apple isn't interested either in a settlement - 20% increase in prices for Apple from Samsung, Apple is findings other suppliers for its hardware.

This thing is going thermonuclear, as predicted.

My money is still on Apple - I don't trust a washing machine manufacturer as a phone maker.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:40 AM   #5
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
My money is still on Apple - I don't trust a washing machine manufacturer as a phone maker.
I wonder if we could wash Apple Socks in a Samsung Washing Machine.

And the word "settlement" sounds like some compromise between two parties. That sounds very good. Why would anyone not want to settle? However, by using HTC as an example of a "settlement", it's defining it as the non-Apple party paying Apple. If anyone would like to "settle" with me by sending me several hundred million dollars as you sell your stuff, PM me and I'll give you the address for your "settlement" checks.

Not all of these legal actions is Apple vs. others. Some of them are others vs. Apple. Where Apple vs. others might imply that others would need to pay something to Apple to "settle", Others vs. Apple would imply just the opposite. Point? If Apple vs. HTC is "settled" by HTC giving Apple $300M, Others vs. Apple would seemingly "settle" by Apple giving Others $___M too. If Apple is on the receiving end of every "settlement," then it's not really a settlement in terms of the usual objective definition of the term. In fact, I would frame it more like a divorce "settlement" where one spouse get most/all of the assets and the other gets a piece of paper that says they are no longer married.

Last edited by HobeSoundDarryl; Nov 14, 2012 at 09:49 AM.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:41 AM   #6
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Do you trust a gadget manufacturer as a workstation maker?
iGrip is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:48 AM   #7
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennno View Post
I guess they want that $1bil back.

Why don't they just invest the budget for legal fees on to R&D, come up with a new product and beat Apple? Guess they're just incapable of doing so.
Payments like that don't typically happen until appeals options are exhausted. Appeals can be denied if they don't have a strong basis, but you won't see money changing hands until then. It's not like it affects anyone on here anyway. It could boost the stock a bit, but it's not a 100% gain when you factor in legal expenses and potentially higher costs in switching suppliers. What new product would they need anyway? You act like all of their hardware consists of rebadged Apple products.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:25 AM   #8
bobinhell
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
Do you trust a gadget manufacturer as a workstation maker?
Yes I would. First of all your statement is not correct.
Apple is, historically, a computer manufacturer first, of both personal computers, workstations (e.g. Mac Pro) and servers (e.g XServe).
Then they entered the consumer ("gadget") market.

So your question should be: do I trust a computer/server/workstation manufacturer to make my phone. Yes I do.
Would I trust someone with your judgement on anything? Probably not.
bobinhell is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:46 AM   #9
HarryKNN21
macrumors regular

Quote:
I am quite sure Apple isn't interested either in a settlement - 20% increase in prices for Apple from Samsung, Apple is findings other suppliers for its hardware.

This somehow shows how pathetic Apple fanbois nowadays, they just love Apple, but no facts. Samsung is one of the largest heavy industries on earth today, Samsung even involved in building skyscrapers in UAE and some of the largest container ships today. If you just know Samsung of their washing machine, I suggest you should never travel to UAE or trust any shipping company.

And moreover, your iPhone and iPad has 90% of parts made by Samsung, maybe Apple just designed and made the bodyshell themselves!

When I open up a brand new cMBP or Mac Mini, the first thing I see are two Samsung RAM, so what's happened? Apple trusts a washing machine manufacturer as their parts manufacturer?

Phone: iPhone 5S 16GB

Last edited by HarryKNN21; Nov 14, 2012 at 09:56 AM.
HarryKNN21 is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:49 AM   #10
subsonix
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKNN21 View Post
This somehow shows how pathetic Apple fanbois nowadays, they just love Apple, but no facts. Samsung is one of the largest heavy industries on earth today, Samsung even involved in building skyscrapers in UAE and some of the largest container ships today.
So what. Samsung is a conglomerate, their skyscraper building activities has nothing to do with their consumer electronics branch.
subsonix is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:49 AM   #11
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmChimera View Post
Apple has approached Samsung multiple times on settling these issues. Samsung says they don't WANT to settle and people still get all mad at Apple for litigating.
Perhaps because the terms Apple wants aren't in line with what Samsung should be accepting?

Why should Samsung settle for anything less than the value they believe their IP, etc is worth any more/less than Apple should?

This article says Samsung doesn't want to settle. It says nothing about Apple wanting to settle. It's possible that Apple has the same exact attitude.
samcraig is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:07 AM   #12
Tigger92
macrumors member

Quote:
This somehow shows how pathetic Apple fanbois nowadays, they just love Apple, but no facts. Samsung is one of the largest heavy industries on earth today, Samsung even involved in building skyscrapers in UAE and some of the largest container ships today. If you just know Samsung of their washing machine, I suggest you should never travel to UAE or trust any shipping company.

And moreover, your iPhone and iPad has 90% of parts made by Samsung, maybe Apple just designed and made the bodyshell themselves!

When I open up a brand new cMBP or Mac Mini, the first thing I see are two Samsung RAM, so what's happened? Apple trusts a washing machine manufacturer as their parts manufacturer?
Again. please cite the list of components that show 90%. Not disputing your claim...just want to see something to back up what you are claiming
Tigger92 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:18 AM   #13
neuropsychguy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
That is exactly why Apple is going after Samsung (even though it's not really true that 90% of iPhone/iPad parts are made by Samsung - important ones are though). Why do you think Apple is so focused on Samsung? Because Samsung made/makes many parts for the iPhone and iPad and then comes out with products that look and act similar to Apple's. Samsung has built in corporate & IP espionage and they took advantage of it, hoping Apple was too dumb to notice. Apple sued and here we are, years later.

Also, don't forget that Nokia started the smartphone patent war with its Oct 22, 2009 lawsuit. Apple counter-sued and then picked on HTC (that's essentially what the recent settlement was over so it was a fightworth picking). Motorola then sued Apple and Apple counter-sued them. The wars kept expanding.

I'm not giving Apple a free pass, they've probably sued more than they should have but Nokia started the war.

Apple started the battle with Samsung but the war had been going on for nearly 1.5 years already. Of all of the suits, the ones against Samsung are the most worthy because of the (generally unstated) fact that Samsung abused their insider position with Apple in order to make competing devices.

While some of the patents granted to all of the companies might be ridiculous, that's a separate issue. The fact is that patents were granted and the companies are trying to defend them, which unfortunately takes lawsuits.
neuropsychguy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:00 AM   #14
StarTrek
macrumors newbie

Wtf!

I have had Samsung and Apple devices, and even I can see that in certain products Samsung have clearly ripped off Apple, do you work for Samsung? I know they pay people to post these kinds of comments (I studied with one of their directors in London). As mentioned numerous times by others Apple have tried to settle with Samsung on quite a few occasions, Samsung are clearly intent on antagonizing Apple. Oh I own a Samsung TV and BD 3D Player, the TV has been replaced twice, I still think it's brilliant, even the BD player will not play half the 3D discs I buy; but when it does it is superb; that's called a balanced approach, which is something Android/Samsung fans seem incapable of i.e. death threats to Apple buyers, absurd claims about Apple (Apple gave me a wedgie and are therefore wedgie trolls).

Right wing fascist tactics will not win you any fans

Quote:

Last edited by maflynn; Nov 14, 2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: removed name calling
StarTrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:14 AM   #15
cytomatrix
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Apple trusts a washing machine manufacturer as their parts manufacturer?
They are paying for it right now.
cytomatrix is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:04 AM   #16
unplugme71
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Yet they make one of the best displays, fastest HDD's and SSD's, reliable memory chips, etc. Sadly their gadgets just suck. Personally, touching a plastic tablet feels "cheap".
unplugme71 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:23 AM   #17
Mattie Num Nums
macrumors 68030

Quote:

FYI the "washing machine manufacturer" also built this:

... and this

Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:10 PM   #18
dkersten
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Num Nums View Post

Oh my God! Those buildings have windows and are built in an upwards fashion. Quick someone sue Samsung for copying other skyscrapers!
dkersten is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:07 PM   #19
JackieTreehorn
macrumors 6502

Quote:

... and this

No, they did not. They were just the contractor and this is what a contractor does

Quote:
Building contractors supervise workers on a construction site, ensuring work is completed according to local and state building codes as well as the architect's plans. Contractors also ensure a project is completed on time and within budget
It was neither designed nor built by Samsung. Regarding the first, much like their phones.

If that building would have been built by Samsung, it would have been plastic.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:05 AM   #20
sdsvtdriver
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Actually, Hazama Corporation built the first one. Samsung copied them and built the 2nd tower.
sdsvtdriver is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:15 AM   #21
akac
macrumors 6502

Quote:

And a horrible washing machine manufacturer at that. We've had more troubles with that thing than I've ever had with an appliance.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:15 PM   #22
bobenhaus
macrumors 6502

Quote:

You do know Samsung is way bigger then Apple and make things like Ships, Cars, Trains and other stuff.
bobenhaus is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:26 PM   #23
Rogifan
macrumors G3

I wonder how much Samsung pays people to come here and rebutt stuff said about them. These days it seems many MR posters are more passionate about defending Samsung as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Isn't there a pro-Samsung website/forum where you could do that? Why would anyone come to a site called MacRumors to read about how great and wonderful Samsung is?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:27 PM   #24
jontech
macrumors 6502

Does this affect my Samsung Refrigerator?

It's no Kenmore, but it keeps my Kim Chee Cold
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:47 PM   #25
hamkor04
macrumors 6502

Quote:

really?, do you know how much of your Apple devices made by that "Washing Machine Manufacturer"?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion