Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:08 PM   #1
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Recommend a new display.

I sold my last display I was running dual 1080p Samsung's. My intent when selling them was to buy a 30" ACD (650 euro) from a friend of mine. I'm getting cold feet now for some reason. I watch movies make posters, fliers, certificates and such in Ps. I make business cards, plain certificates on misc. stuff in Ae. Edit sub 10Min videos in FCP and make small website animations in Flash nothing really special.

If you were to buy now what would you buy the ACD it's 8/10 but I think the allure of the display is the fruit nothing rational.

What says the MP forum?

Last edited by GermanyChris; Nov 14, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:13 PM   #2
Umbongo
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: England
Samsung S27A850D, Dell U2713HM and ViewSonic VP2770-LED are what I would be looking at.

Read reviews on tftcentral and find the threads for them on hardforum.com's display subforum to help you decide.

Personally I feel that the Samsung is one of the best choices out there. Better than the really cheap 27" panels in terms of quality and with its light AG coating the right balance between glossy (Apple, cheap 27"s) and the heavy coating found on Dell, HP etc. The ViewSonic also has this and sort of sits between the Samsung/Dell models I listed and their more professional solutions.
Umbongo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:37 PM   #3
designs216
macrumors 65816
 
designs216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Down the rabbit hole
I am in the market myself but luckily my crappy Dell display will do for now. The current ACD has tons of selling points but the glossy screen gives me pause. As the new iMac got USB3 support and a "reduced glare" screen and the current Apple Cinema is long overdue for a refresh, I'm betting those features will carry over.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:08 PM   #4
ClassObject
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
I've had great success with several of Crossover 27q IPS from Korea. All 5 have arrived in about a week and have been perfect since June.

link
ClassObject is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:41 PM   #5
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040
 
ActionableMango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassObject View Post
I've had great success with several of Crossover 27q IPS from Korea. All 5 have arrived in about a week and have been perfect since June.

link
I read nothing but bad things about those.

Only 1 input, DVI. Ships from Korea, no US presence for customer support, returns, or warranty support. Up to 20 dead pixels is considered normal, but who will care anyway because there's no real warranty or customer service to contact. High display lag. Cheap flimsy stands. No OSD. Built with low grade panels (A-) that are basically ACD rejects (too many flaws to sell to A and A+ vendors). Wrong power plug, and in at least one review, a 240V-only power supply.

Appears to be yet another clone of other Korean 27" WQHD displays: Achieva, Catleap, Yamakasi, etc., how many more labels can they slap onto the same monitor?

On the plus side, they are very inexpensive for what is basically the same panel as an ACD, and you can pay a little extra for a pixel-perfect guarantee, although I don't know how that would be supported... by the Ebay seller?
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:08 PM   #6
Phrygian
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
http://www.benq.us/
for the top quality stuff... but its expensive.
Phrygian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:56 PM   #7
ClassObject
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
I read nothing but bad things about those.

Only 1 input, DVI. Ships from Korea, no US presence for customer support, returns, or warranty support. Up to 20 dead pixels is considered normal, but who will care anyway because there's no real warranty or customer service to contact. High display lag. Cheap flimsy stands. No OSD. Built with low grade panels (A-) that are basically ACD rejects (too many flaws to sell to A and A+ vendors). Wrong power plug, and in at least one review, a 240V-only power supply.

Appears to be yet another clone of other Korean 27" WQHD displays: Achieva, Catleap, Yamakasi, etc., how many more labels can they slap onto the same monitor?

On the plus side, they are very inexpensive for what is basically the same panel as an ACD, and you can pay a little extra for a pixel-perfect guarantee, although I don't know how that would be supported... by the Ebay seller?
I personally know of about a dozen in use with no problems. I've read many success stories and also some bad ones. The seller I linked has been great. One of the monitors arrived crushed and shipping insurance took care of it. Took a week total turn around. One dev I work with bought three and one died after a day. Turnaround was a week also.

It's true that there is a single dvi input and no OSD and some of the stands are flimsy. None of that matters to me. I mount three on an arm and the picture is perfect and bright with no dead pixels. Couldn't be happier.
ClassObject is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:42 PM   #8
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040
 
ActionableMango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassObject View Post
I personally know of about a dozen in use with no problems. I've read many success stories and also some bad ones. The seller I linked has been great. One of the monitors arrived crushed and shipping insurance took care of it. Took a week total turn around. One dev I work with bought three and one died after a day. Turnaround was a week also.

It's true that there is a single dvi input and no OSD and some of the stands are flimsy. None of that matters to me. I mount three on an arm and the picture is perfect and bright with no dead pixels. Couldn't be happier.
Sounds great! I just wanted to provide the back story too, so people can make a more informed choice.

My Dell Ultrasharp is on its 8th year of service and still going strong!
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:16 PM   #9
GermanyChris
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
So I couldn't pull the trigger on the the 30" ACD I bought a U2412M instead. I'm a wuss..
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:58 AM   #10
dakovar
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Microcenter - Auria 27" EQ276W 2560x1440

If you have a Microcenter near by, get the Auria 27" EQ276W. It is one of the Korean 27" 2560x1440 monitors, but it can be returned locally AND it has a built in Display Port. The price is unbeatable at $399 from my perspective.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/3...PS_LED_Monitor
dakovar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:49 AM   #11
VanneDC
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dubai, UAE
For the gaming part of my dual screen setup I have the Sony ps3 3D display, works a treat at 24inches and native hd. For the working side of my setup I have my trusty Wacom Cintiq. Both displays are IMHO awesome for what they are designed for.

Should edit my sig..
__________________
Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15"
BUILDING: TB eGPU Sonnet Echo Express + GTX480
Wacom Cintiq 21UX 24" Sony PS3 3D display.
VanneDC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:08 AM   #12
GermanyChris
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
After Christmas I'm going to pick up a second 2412M, this 1 display stuff is for the birds.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can anyone recommend Asus 27" PB278Q PLS display? Skylitfly Mac Peripherals 3 May 24, 2014 11:06 AM
Recommend a display for video monitoring whilst editing MIDI_EVIL Digital Video 6 Feb 5, 2013 06:21 AM
Recommend a display with good uniformity JD92 Mac Peripherals 2 Jan 11, 2013 10:05 PM
make external display primary display when macbook display no longer works Andy88! Mac Basics and Help 1 Nov 3, 2012 08:36 PM
I recommend these sleeves for the MacBook Pro Retina Display iRobby MacBook Pro 3 Jun 21, 2012 07:24 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC