Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:29 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Elevation Lab Releases Lightning Adapter for Popular iPhone Dock

Elevation Lab has released a $15 adapter that allows its popular Kickstarter project, the Elevation Dock, to be used with the iPhone 5. The company is also selling an $89 redesigned dock that is specifically designed for the iPhone 5.

With either solution, users need to provide their own Lightning to USB Cable.

Article Link: Elevation Lab Releases Lightning Adapter for Popular iPhone Dock
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:41 PM   #2
sesnir
macrumors 6502

It certainly looks good, but it's way too expensive for a dock imo.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:30 PM   #3
longhegrin
macrumors newbie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesnir View Post
It certainly looks good, but it's way too expensive for a dock imo.
sesnir, if you cannot afford this, then don't buy it. Nobody is forcing you, sesnir.

Likewise, if you think a BMW X6 is way too expensive, then don't buy one.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanster View Post
Hahahah. An apple forum complaining about overpriced anything? Dudes we own the most overpriced phones and laptops in the market. 89 is nothing to the amounts we pay for apple products.
Finally, somebody with brains!
Yes. $89 is nothing compared to the amounts we pay for Apple products.

Maybe the people complaining here do not own any Apple products, they might just enjoy complaining.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin77 View Post
Doesn't anyone else find that to be a bit insane?
No. Nobody else finds this to be a bit insane.

Mostly because none of us are forced to buy this. Our iPhone 5 works perfectly without this dock. We can easily choose not to buy this.

If you cannot afford to buy this, don't whine and complain about it. It is not their fault you don't have enough money. Would you blame BMW and Audi for making cars that you cannot afford, Elvin77 ??
longhegrin is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:38 PM   #4
aajeevlin
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhegrin View Post
sesnir, if you cannot afford this, then don't buy it. Nobody is forcing you, sesnir.

----------

Finally, somebody with brains!
Yes. $89 is nothing compared to the amounts we pay for Apple products.

Maybe the people complaining here do not own any Apple products, they might just enjoy complaining.

----------

No. Nobody else finds this to be a bit insane.

Mostly because none of us are forced to buy this. Our iPhone 5 works perfectly without this dock. We can easily choose not to buy this.

If you cannot afford to buy this, don't whine and complain about it. It is not their fault you don't have enough money. Would you blame BMW and Audi for making cars that you cannot afford, Elvin77 ??

Somebody with a brain? That statement is completely untrue. "We own the most overpriced phone"? What are you talking about? Most people get their iphone 4,4s, and 5 for $200 dollars, same as all other Moto, Samsung, Nokia phones. No, let's not go into the whole, you are paying it off with monthly fee. Because all the other smartphone users are paying the SAME THING. I never understand why people say iPhone is expensive when almost all brand of smartphones falls within the $200 price range. Now, if you want to tell me an unsubsidized iPhone is $650+, well look again, any Moto or Samsung unsubsidized phone are also around that price.
aajeevlin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:25 PM   #5
sesnir
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhegrin View Post

Wow, insecure much? Does it make you feel good to anonymously put people down?

Of course I can afford it, but there's no way a simple dock is worth $89. But go ahead and order it if you feel it's worth it.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:41 PM   #6
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to LimeiBook86 Send a message via MSN to LimeiBook86 Send a message via Yahoo to LimeiBook86
It's nice to see that all you need is a new cable holder (and cable) for the iPhone 5 to work with the dock. They could have easily told you to buy a brand new dock. Smart move.
LimeiBook86 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:41 PM   #7
Elvin77
macrumors newbie

Question $89 for a dock?

Elvin77 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:58 PM   #8
bigcat318
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yes, quite insane.
bigcat318 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:00 PM   #9
Smileyboy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Smileyboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat318 View Post
Yes, quite insane.
Which part?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:04 PM   #10
fruitpunch.ben
macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if audio out will be possible either with the iPhone 5 dock or the new adaptor? I am happy just to plug in my own 3.5mm cable, but i'm not sure if that will work
iPhone 5 64GB Black
fruitpunch.ben is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:05 PM   #11
daneoni
macrumors G4

lol...$89 for a dock? i'd rather put the phone on the floor whilst it's charging.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:03 PM   #12
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

The only thing insane is that there's still no freaking approved iPhone 5 dock that you can buy right now, 2 months after launch.

These guys could charge as much they want for it, there's no competition.

Also, these guys are a small startup designing and manufacturing docks in the US from CNC machined solid aluminium.

Their margins are undoubtedly proportionally lower than those of these well-known brands who will sell you mass-produced plastic-molded docks made in China for around $30.
pgiguere1 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:06 PM   #13
RMo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiguere1 View Post
The only thing insane is that there's still no freaking approved iPhone 5 dock that you can buy right now, 2 months after launch.

These guys could charge as much they want for it, there's no competition.
Not entirely true--there was a story a while back about Belkin's Charge + Sync Dock. Of course, it's about the same as this--you need to bring your own cable. Some day...
RMo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:11 PM   #14
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Depends. I mean, to some, it's just a piece of colored machined metal. To others, it's a decorative accent piece. After all, isn't $1000 too much for a stuffed bag of polyester and feathers? Some colored oil on fabric sells for tens of thousands of dollars. How about a bunch of animal skins stitched together by cotton? Is that really worth hundreds? Yet people still buy beds, paintings, and leather coats.
Kaibelf is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:15 PM   #15
mr.johnnyboy
macrumors newbie

That is a joke!

What's so nice about it? Rather wait for another 2 months than pay $100 for that!
mr.johnnyboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:18 PM   #16
charliex5
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibelf View Post
Depends. I mean, to some, it's just a piece of colored machined metal. To others, it's a decorative accent piece. After all, isn't $1000 too much for a stuffed bag of polyester and feathers? Some colored oil on fabric sells for tens of thousands of dollars. How about a bunch of animal skins stitched together by cotton? Is that really worth hundreds? Yet people still buy beds, paintings, and leather coats.
YES! Appreciation of craft and thoughtfulness in design is something I thought I'd see more of on an Apple forum.

Nope. It seems to all boil down to price. Bring on the cheap plastic crap!
charliex5 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:23 PM   #17
OldSchoolMacGuy
macrumors 6502a

Price is crazy. I can get a membership at The Mill and a chunk of aluminum and make them myself for less.
OldSchoolMacGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:33 PM   #18
CarlJ
macrumors member

I think many people are missing the point -- this article isn't saying "hey, a new dock has been announced for the iPhone 5, so if you've been waiting for an iPhone 5 dock, here you go", rather it's saying "Elevation Labs, makers of a really expensive custom iPhone dock that was wildly popular on Kickstarter, have announced an adaptor to allow their existing dock to be used with the iPhone 5; this should be popular with their existing customers - oh, and you can also buy the dock along with the new adapter (for a very high price) if you feel so inclined."

They set out to build the Rolls Royce of docks for the iPhone 4, and largely achieved that, then Apple surprised everyone by changing the dock connector after a decade of sameness, and shortly after Elevation Labs got all those Kickstarted docks out the door. If you want a super-high-end dock, this is for you, if you'd rather put your phone on the floor/desk/ceiling (or in a not-yet-shipping cheaper dock), nobody's twisting your arm to buy one. To finish the analogy, people don't normally get all worked up merely because luxury cars exist.
CarlJ is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:38 PM   #19
bigcat318
macrumors 6502

Luxury phone dock. The term luxury is thrown around way too often.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:44 PM   #20
mrgraff
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlJ View Post
I think many people are missing the point -- this article isn't saying "hey, a new dock has been announced for the iPhone 5, so if you've been waiting for an iPhone 5 dock, here you go"...
To be fair, in addition to your clarification, it does say that too:

"The company is also selling an $89 redesigned dock that is specifically designed for the iPhone 5."

And seriously, $89 is too much.
mrgraff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:27 PM   #21
bigcat318
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibelf View Post
Wow the marketing teams really got to you. Decorative accent piece lol
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:33 PM   #22
8CoreWhore
macrumors 68000

It kills the optical-out feature for those docks

I ordered one of these several days ago. Minutes later I realized it doesn't support the docks that have the optical-out feature. I immediately emailed them to cancel the order. I still haven't back from them on that, instead, they sent me an email that my order shipped. I looked at the tracking info - and it turns out it refers to the dock that shipped several months ago.

Good luck dealing with them.

Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:15 PM   #23
lowbatteries
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post
I ordered one of these several days ago. Minutes later I realized it doesn't support the docks that have the optical-out feature. I immediately emailed them to cancel the order. I still haven't back from them on that, instead, they sent me an email that my order shipped. I looked at the tracking info - and it turns out it refers to the dock that shipped several months ago.

Good luck dealing with them.

What exactly are you talking about?
lowbatteries is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:42 PM   #24
DrJohnnyN
macrumors 6502a

The blue dock looks nice.
DrJohnnyN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:52 PM   #25
Glassed Silver
macrumors 6502

89 USD for a flipping dock and not even the cable is supplied?
Thunderboltastic!

Now I know why they can't supply the cable, but I'm really mocking the price here...
meh...

Glassed Silver:mac
Last login: Sat May 5 22:52:51 on ttys000
Society-System:~ dumbnut$ rm -rf ~/Library/mind.db ~/Library/Frameworks/tolerance
~/Library/Frameworks/commonsense ~/integrity ~/individuality
Glassed Silver is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion