Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:58 PM   #1
DocMultimedia
macrumors member

Rumor: iMacs delayed to 2013

From AppleInisder:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/...ayed-into-2013
After Apple CEO Tim Cook revealed last month that there would be a "significant shortage" of the newly redesigned iMac, a report on Wednesday claims manufacturing difficulties may push back the all-in-one's launch date into next year.

Citing a "commercial source," French language blog MacBidouilleclaims that production of Apple's new iMac models may not be ready for sales ahead of the lucrative holiday shopping season, speculating that the company's advanced welding process is to blame.

During Apple's quarterly earnings conference call, which was held shortly after the new iMac's debut, Cook said that there would be a "significant shortage" of the all-in-one, but declined to offer details on the matter.

The totally redesigned iMac was unveiled in October and features an advanced assembly technique called friction-stir welding, which uses high heat and pressure to "intermix the molecules of the two aluminum surfaces" to create a seamless joint. In order to achieve maximum thinness, the iMac's optical drive was removed, a design decision that has slimmed down other Apple products like the MacBook Air and the latest MacBook Pros with Retina display.

Adding to the already high difficulty of manufacture is the iMac's screen lamination process, which eliminates the 2mm air gap between the display and front glass seen in legacy models. In August, KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo reported that the process is more involved with the 27-inch model and would cause supply constraints for the initial batch of machines.

Currently, the Online store shows a November availability for the 21.5-inch iMac, which is to be followed by the 27-inch model in December.
DocMultimedia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:01 PM   #2
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

White iPhone 4 markII.
NutsNGum is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Icaras
macrumors 601

Grimm news indeed.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:03 PM   #4
Occamsrazr
macrumors 6502

its almost like steve jobs died... this company is unrecognizable these days
Occamsrazr is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:05 PM   #5
tyche
macrumors regular

Doesn't surprise me in the least if true. I'm sure they have every factory running full out making iPhones and iPads for the holidays.
tyche is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:06 PM   #6
atthecross
macrumors 6502

noooooooo
atthecross is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:08 PM   #7
I8P'CS
macrumors 6502

I'm enjoying my mid 2011 iMac. I'll purchase this one at the end of 2013 with Haswellonce everything is ironed out. Clearly problems with these iMacs even if they still come out on time.
I8P'CS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:59 PM   #8
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8P'CS View Post
I'm enjoying my mid 2011 iMac. I'll purchase this one at the end of 2013 with Haswellonce everything is ironed out. Clearly problems with these iMacs even if they still come out on time.
How, after the whole 2012 iMac fiasco, can you even begin to expect there to be Haswell iMacs in a year? I'm sure you're happy with your 2011 model, but with that logic, you'll end up like so many of us waiting for a machine that is perpetually unreleased.
12dylan34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:08 PM   #9
uptownnyc
macrumors regular

Can't buy the new one.
Can't buy the old one.

This isn't good.
uptownnyc is online now   35 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:13 PM   #10
lozpop
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptownnyc View Post
Can't buy the new one.
Can't buy the old one.

This isn't good.
This is the strangest fact. How could Apple stay without any iMac old or new on sale until January/February?

I DON'T want to believe.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:16 AM   #11
tuccillo
macrumors member

Order a refurbished system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptownnyc View Post
Can't buy the new one.
Can't buy the old one.

This isn't good.
tuccillo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:10 PM   #12
DocMultimedia
macrumors member

My 2006 24in iMac is BEGGING to be replaced. This has been a brutal wait.
DocMultimedia is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMultimedia View Post
VERY simple: it's time for Cook to STOP being a CEO and re-take his COO position...he has no vision, just execution skills.

Without him SPECIFICALLY devoted to that task, the wonderful supply chain advantage carved by Apple is gonna go down really fast.
50548 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:31 PM   #14
Foxfan
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMultimedia View Post
At least yours is Intel-based so you get some support for it. My G4 from 2005 is crashing on various websites, including simple ones like Yahoo News and CBS News, while others tell me to upgrade to a newer Flash Player version which requires OS 10.6, but of course I can't upgrade past 10.4 because my machine is PowerPC-based. Ugh!!! And I can't even get the old 2011 model because the "geniuses" waited for the entire supply to run out before announcing the new model (as if having both overlap for a few weeks to let shoppers compare and get a small clearance discount on the old model would kill them).

On the other hand my Pentium III with Windows 2000 is still working fine. I want to go all-Mac but they're pushing me away!

Last edited by Foxfan; Nov 14, 2012 at 07:41 PM.
Foxfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:33 PM   #15
Stetrain
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occamsrazr View Post
its almost like steve jobs died... this company is unrecognizable these days
Yeah, nothing ever shipped late when Steve was around
Stetrain is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:53 PM   #16
Tri-stan
macrumors 6502

Cook would be out on the golf course taking a call where Steve would be bashing heads together. Apple have dropped the ball on this one.

I heard that when a deadline need to be met Steve Jobs would make everybody do late nights until release if need be. Apple is no longer that company. If it was not for Steve there would be no kids on those apple one's, instead they would still be using pens and paper.

Think of how many man hours these delays are causing now, all because Tim Cook is on the golf course
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:15 PM   #17
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-stan View Post
Cook would be out on the golf course taking a call where Steve would be bashing heads together
Think of how many man hours these delays are causing now, all because Tim Cook is on the golf course
Do you have this other Tim Cook in mind, who says "Favorite interest is golf"?

Precious Tim Cook keynote parody:
http://iphone.collegehumor.com/video...opher-mcdonald
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:00 PM   #18
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816

This is the way the iMac ends,
this is the way the iMac ends.
This is the way the iMac ends,
not with a whimper, but a BANG!

"We'll give them what they didn't ask for, then fail to deliver. Genius!!"
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:03 PM   #19
MsDalfo
macrumors member

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Maybe I'll just keep the refurb one that's in the mail that I'm thinking about returning, then. I want to declare it on this year's taxes, and if the new computer isn't going to be out until next year, I don't think the discount I'm expecting ($50-100 off) will be worth the wait.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:15 PM   #20
wmy5
macrumors regular

Really sad news, but I believe it's true.
wmy5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:47 PM   #21
forty2j
macrumors 68030

Guys, there's a reason why you should let MacRumors filter the stories for you. If you jump all over every fool thing someone posts on the internet, you're going to get yourself tied in knots.

Here's what I see in this story:
  • A "commercial source", which to me sounds like a 3rd party retailer and therefore not the most reliable source, thinks there might be a delay
  • The French blog speculates that because a delay is claimed to exist and the announced dates were November and December, it's possible that the new date sends us past the holidays
  • AppleInsider then jumps into the worst case and posts the sensationalized 2013 headline

I find it far more likely that either the retailer themselves are speculating, or that they were originally expecting Nov 13 and now it's Nov 27.

I'm waiting patiently in any case, but I caution people to avoid jumping to every possible doom & gloom conclusion.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:49 PM   #22
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty2j View Post
I'm waiting patiently in any case, but I caution people to avoid jumping to every possible doom & gloom conclusion.
As always, I agree with you. This is still just a rumor. Cooler heads will prevail.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:53 PM   #23
MJD Dawg
macrumors 6502

Location: Near the Intersection of the Pacific, Juan de Fuca and N.A. Plates
So with money in hand ready to buy an iMac, I can neither buy the current iMac nor the newly announced iMac?

Well played Apple...well played (sarcastic slow clapping in the background).
MJD Dawg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:59 PM   #24
APPLE-FANATIC
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty2j View Post
Guys, there's a reason why you should let MacRumors filter the stories for you. If you jump all over every fool thing someone posts on the internet, you're going to get yourself tied in knots.

Here's what I see in this story:
  • A "commercial source", which to me sounds like a 3rd party retailer and therefore not the most reliable source, thinks there might be a delay
  • The French blog speculates that because a delay is claimed to exist and the announced dates were November and December, it's possible that the new date sends us past the holidays
  • AppleInsider then jumps into the worst case and posts the sensationalized 2013 headline

I find it far more likely that either the retailer themselves are speculating, or that they were originally expecting Nov 13 and now it's Nov 27.

I agree with you and plus its not even the end of November yet! Now if today were the 30th, then yes, something would be up! Hell, we don't even have iTunes 11 yet!!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:58 PM   #25
masp84
macrumors member

Told you.. new iMac sucks
masp84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac