Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:00 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

New iMac Deliveries to Be Delayed Until Early Next Year?

Apple may not begin shipping the new iMac until early 2013, according to the French site MacBidouille [Google Translate]. When the new lighter, thinner iMac was introduced three weeks ago, Apple said the 21.5" model would ship by the end of November, with the 27" model shipping by year-end.

The new iMac uses some advanced welding techniques as well as a new manufacturing process for the LCD screen that was rumored to delay the introduction of the iMac. Apple has run into difficulties ramping up production on its more recent product launches as the company pushes the envelope on what is physically possible.

During Apple's most recent earnings call, Tim Cook talked briefly about the constraints the company faces during the all-important holiday quarter:
Quote:
In terms of general shortages on the iMac, we'll be constrained for the full quarter in a significant way, part of that is that we're beginning shipping the 21.5-inch iMac in November and the 27-inch in December. And so there will be a short amount of time during the quarter to manufacture and ramp those and I expect the demand to be robust. So we will have a significant shortage there.
Article Link: New iMac Deliveries to Be Delayed Until Early Next Year?
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:01 AM   #2
minisuds7
macrumors member

What is MacBidouille's track record?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:02 AM   #3
MrXiro
macrumors 68030

Ouch... gonna hurt their holiday season.

I'm waiting on a new Thunderbolt Display for my rocking new Mac Mini!

MrXiro is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:07 AM   #4
ryedarrow
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXiro View Post
Ouch... gonna hurt their holiday season.

I'm waiting on a new Thunderbolt Display for my rocking new Mac Mini!
+1 LOVE my new quad core mini with fusion drive. HD4000 has performed significantly better than I was hoping. Upgrade to 16GB of RAM on Amazon for $70. Yes Please.

I'm running FCP X (along with everything else open) and haven't skipped a beat!
ryedarrow is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:15 AM   #5
Lancer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryedarrow View Post
+1 LOVE my new quad core mini with fusion drive. HD4000 has performed significantly better than I was hoping. Upgrade to 16GB of RAM on Amazon for $70. Yes Please.
I'm calling this plan B
Lancer is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:18 AM   #6
BeejayUK
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
I'm calling this plan B
Plan C

Wait a few days until Apple start pre-orders on iMacs and the whingers can

shut the **** up - please.......
BeejayUK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:43 AM   #7
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

"+1 LOVE my new quad core mini with fusion drive. HD4000 has performed significantly better than I was hoping. Upgrade to 16GB of RAM on Amazon for $70."

Something tells me that the iMac fiasco is going to turn the Mac Mini from an "also ran" into this year's hit seller amongst the Mac product line.
Fishrrman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:54 AM   #8
JoeBlow74
macrumors regular

I have only purchased one Mac in my life. I am a custom built PC guy and I have to say that my IMac will be the last Apple computer I will purchase. I do not like how Apple has changed their product line. For the price of my iMac I can build a nice mini HTPC the will blow away the Mac Mini in every benchmark. I could have an optical drive and be custome modified. Apple needs to recognize they are starting to push away their customers. But who am I to say? I am just the customer.
JoeBlow74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:48 AM   #9
CplBadboy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryedarrow View Post

I'm running FCP X (along with everything else open) and haven't skipped a beat!
Wow! Thats surprised me. Running FCP X! Do you have any other experience running Aperature or Lightroom on that mini?? I may have to look at it instead of the iMac. I am really not that keen on the new iMac thinness. and TB Drive attached to it may just prove its all I need running to a 30" Dell monitor.

I cant help feel that the failure rate of these is gonna be super high because of its form factor. Would have preferred the old factor and a Desktop GPU tbh whilst getting rid of the Superdrive of course. Gonna hit YouTube see if I can dig up some vids running Aperture. Thanks for that little confidence boost in the mini!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:21 PM   #10
ryedarrow
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CplBadboy View Post
Wow! Thats surprised me. Running FCP X! Do you have any other experience running Aperature or Lightroom on that mini?? I may have to look at it instead of the iMac. I am really not that keen on the new iMac thinness. and TB Drive attached to it may just prove its all I need running to a 30" Dell monitor.

I cant help feel that the failure rate of these is gonna be super high because of its form factor. Would have preferred the old factor and a Desktop GPU tbh whilst getting rid of the Superdrive of course. Gonna hit YouTube see if I can dig up some vids running Aperture. Thanks for that little confidence boost in the mini!
No prob, Aperature and iPhoto (huge libraries) are working 10x better than expected. The combination of the fusion + 16GB ram + quad-core is more than making up for the lack of discrete GPU. (for what I am doing at least).

It not a Pro replacement, rather a Pro alternative.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
I'm calling this plan B
HAHAHA! Yes, it was my plan B too. I bought the mini hoping it would be enough and planned to sell it when the Pro comes out next year. (The re-sell on the mini's is great).

Now that I have it, I'm keeping it. If the pro does ever come out, it will be $2,500. I'm fine with the speed I'm getting in FCP X and will save the $1,500 premium...
ryedarrow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:02 AM   #11
hbt15
macrumors newbie

So it's going to be 6 months out of spec before it even hits shelves.

Awesome.

Win for Tim.
hbt15 is offline   73 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:59 AM   #12
dennno
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbt15 View Post

Awesome.

Win for Tim.
Why do people always have to complain about something? If there are alternatives with better specs by that time, why not just get that? No one is forcing you to get an "out of spec" computer.

These days even an out of spec computer from a few years ago is perfectly capable of handling most user tasks.
dennno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:03 AM   #13
Rockondevil
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennno View Post
Why do people always have to complain about something? If there are alternatives with better specs by that time, why not just get that? No one is forcing you to get an "out of spec" computer.

These days even an out of spec computer from a few years ago is perfectly capable of handling most user tasks.
It's about value for money also mate. It's not like the prices are going down while the hardware gets older. At least not until the next refresh.
At least I'm pretty sure that's why. It's why I'd rather it sooner than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennno View Post
Here we go again with the optical drive argument. Move on already it's 2012! Retailers are barely selling CDs (a majority of them are cutting it out of their inventories), all major software companies offer software installations, drivers, updates etc. over the internet. There's NO excuse.
Exactly there is no excuse. Optical drives are still highly used so why remove it for the sake of 10-20mm thickness on a desktop?
What do you think is after discs? 4K needs to go on something and downloading that isn't practical.
Also blu-ray quality is vastly superior to anything you can stream.
Rockondevil is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:20 AM   #14
dennno
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockondevil View Post
It's about value for money also mate. It's not like the prices are going down while the hardware gets older. At least not until the next refresh.
At least I'm pretty sure that's why. It's why I'd rather it sooner than later.

Exactly there is no excuse. Optical drives are still highly used so why remove it for the sake of 10-20mm thickness on a desktop?
What do you think is after discs? 4K needs to go on something and downloading that isn't practical.
Also blu-ray quality is vastly superior to anything you can stream.
I'd like to see that blu-ray's quality when you scratch that disc, lose it on a house fire/natural disaster or lend it to a friend who never gives it back. That's right it's gone forever. Are you seriously arguing that a few levels of quality increase (which is barely noticeable to the average person) is worth more than longevity and reusability?

Using your first statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockondevil View Post
It's about value for money also mate.
It seems you contradict yourself. Blu-ray is certainly not a value for money in comparison to a digital download which is:
1: re-downloadable (lifespan is forever)
2: can be stored in multiple devices
3: safely and securely stored on Apple's servers

So either your arguments for blu-ray is baseless or you're just complaining about value for money. Which is it?
dennno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:39 AM   #15
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Quote:

Awesome.

Win for Tim.
This.
Razeus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:53 AM   #16
RyanR.
macrumors 6502

<-------Fanboy

Ok, I was known for being a fanboy, but things are changing. I mean of course only thing Windows has for me right now is Windows 8 which is a fail also IMHO.

But announcement of iTunes XI available next month...... oh wait it's not ready, soon very soon.

Announcement of new iMac available next month...... oh wait it's not ready, soon very soon.

I am starting to see a pattern under Tim's reign. I am still excited for the future of  but they gotta put it together.

I'm glad they want things right before they release, but don't announce something until it's ready.
RyanR. is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:09 AM   #17
Zunjine
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR. View Post
Ok, I was known for being a fanboy, but things are changing. I mean of course only thing Windows has for me right now is Windows 8 which is a fail also IMHO.

But announcement of iTunes XI available next month...... oh wait it's not ready, soon very soon.

Announcement of new iMac available next month...... oh wait it's not ready, soon very soon.

I am starting to see a pattern under Tim's reign. I am still excited for the future of  but they gotta put it together.

I'm glad they want things right before they release, but don't announce something until it's ready.
Since Tim became CEO we've seen the launch of three new iPads (iPad 3 and 4 and the iPad mini), two new iPhones (4S and 5), a whole range of new iPods, new Airs, new Macbook Pros with Retina displays, iOS6 and Mountain Lion, iCloud and iTunes in the cloud.

In 16 months we've seen more products announced and shipped on time than in any other time in Apple's history.

We've also seen a couple of less perfect executions - Maps being the main one, and a delay in the launch of the new iMacs and new iTunes... I'm struggling to think of much else that's gone wrong since Tim became CEO.

So, that's a new product or service launched successfully per month of Tim's CEO-ship, one poor product and two minor delays... What's this pattern you think you're seeing? Because, for me, the pattern is a great company performing brilliantly with a handful of small blips.
Zunjine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:15 PM   #18
Thunderbird
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Awesome.

Win for Tim.
Since Ivy Bridge came out in April 2012, it will be almost a year out of date. Haswell should be out by June 2013. Whoever started that thread in the iMac forum section about no new iMac in 2012 has proven to be precient

What a joke. The more we learn about the new iMac the more of an epic fail it becomes.

Thunderbird is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:57 AM   #19
name99
macrumors regular

Snarky, but a good point

Quote:

Awesome.

Win for Tim.
One has to wonder what has delayed the iMac so much this time round. My suspicion six months ago was that it was waiting for 802.11ac chips, but that's obviously not it. So what? Just a much fancier case?

The delay point however is a good one. One starts to wonder if it's worth waiting an additional 3 months after January, in the hope of getting an iMac with Haswell and 802.11ac. There seems no reason Apple could not deliver that, except an unwillingness to bump models so soon after launch.
All in all very frustrating.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenShaw View Post

What's the point of a "sleek, ridiculously thin all-in-one" if you have to surround it with external USB and T-Bolt devices?
So what you are saying is that Apple should avoid making a computer that is better for 95% of their users in order to make it better for 5% of their users?

That's one hell of an ego you have there...
name99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:01 AM   #20
neversink
macrumors regular

Where do you get your 95% and 5% statistics from??? Out of your hat, obviously.
[/COLOR]

So what you are saying is that Apple should avoid making a computer that is better for 95% of their users in order to make it better for 5% of their users?

That's one hell of an ego you have there...[/QUOTE]
neversink is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:22 AM   #21
szw-mapple fan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Awesome.

Win for Tim.
Don't worry. The iMac is ahead of its time.
szw-mapple fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:58 AM   #22
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:

Awesome.

Win for Tim.
This has less to do with Tim, than it does with Steve... the "I'll Go Thermonuclear On Em" ex CEO.

Oh my, what a mature attitude that was... "I'll show em who they're dealing with"...

That a dreadful edict Tim inherited.

With an assignment like that, and all the time and man power they are burning up, it's no wonder other areas of progress are being hampered.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:02 AM   #23
hifromtomorrow
macrumors member

It's never going to happen is it?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:05 AM   #24
shartypants
macrumors 6502a

I don't think I would want to buy one in that first lot to ship. I think I would wait until they got some of the kinks worked out.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:06 AM   #25
dukebound85
macrumors P6

waaaaaay late to the game

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1489731
dukebound85 is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion