Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:43 AM   #1
ashley534298
macrumors newbie

Unhappy Help, milk damage in my air!

I just spilted my breakfast mocha milk on my air 13" which I just bought in Nov, last year this morning, and it shut down quickly...
Then I immediately dryed it up and dryed it with a fan for the whole morning,
but the power can't be turned on right now!
I think the milk definitely ran into the motherboard...

I bought my air in Taiwan(in Asia), and it's said that if I want to repair it in Taiwan, it'll probably cost 2 times of the original mac price...
I still have an applecare for 2 yrs, but water damage is not in the protection, right?

So what am I going to do now?
I've read some forum and it's said that I can take it to some countries which have apple store there(we Taiwan doesn't have it), maybe it can help me to replace one, for free or not in that much money. Is that true?

I'm still a college student and I can't afford toooooo much money for repairing my air. And I've only used it for just a yr! Buying a new one is absolutely not on my list...

Can anyone give me the answer?
I don't know what to do now, so sad about it...
ashley534298 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:48 AM   #2
netdog
macrumors 603

I'd try sealing it in a bag of rice for a couple of days. Sadly liquid damage is not covered by the warranty.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:57 AM   #3
David085
macrumors 6502a

I don't get what's with ppl spiting water, milk,etc. but I can see if it was coffee because that is so easy to do with coffee. ppl act like they're 12 or something for spiting liquid into there system I don't see why they don't take there time and be careful since it is a expensive system. or my other opinion don't drink beside the machine so you don't split anything inside the keyboard so it doesn't get into other parts and damage the system.. otherwise they should be more careful is like they're careless against there electronics.
David085 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:43 AM   #4
0x000000
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by David085 View Post
I don't get what's with ppl spiting water, milk,etc. but I can see if it was coffee because that is so easy to do with coffee. ppl act like they're 12 or something for spiting liquid into there system I don't see why they don't take there time and be careful since it is a expensive system. or my other opinion don't drink beside the machine so you don't split anything inside the keyboard so it doesn't get into other parts and damage the system.. otherwise they should be more careful is like they're careless against there electronics.
**** happens?

Anyway, try the rice trick but if your mac turned itself off, it's probably ruined beyond repair. Fluids tend to go everywhere in MBAs and the repairs cost twice as much as the original. I'm sorry for you.
0x000000 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:17 AM   #5
Moshe1010
macrumors 6502a

It's a mistake to turn it on right after you think you dried it up. The liquid probably got already to the logic board if it doesn't turn on (and because you even tried), so I say it's toast. New logic board costs almost like a new Air, so take $400 and go buy Windows laptop that is on sale.
Moshe1010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:18 AM   #6
throAU
macrumors 68030

don't cry
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:19 AM   #7
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by David085 View Post
Actually the only solution is to keep liquids away. It's not always clumsiness or lack of attention. When you consider the millions of devices sold, there can be many unforeseen circumstances which lead to such things. One person mentioned a nosebleed (most likely unexpected). People have mentioned friends spilling drinks. There are a lot of possibilities beyond the simple unimaginative excuse that they were not paying attention. You don't even seem to consider that external factors could have caused the lapse in attention. With the number of computers out there, the best way to prevent such a thing is to keep liquids far away from your notebook.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:59 AM   #8
ROLLTIDE1
macrumors 6502a

Milk does a body good just not a Macbook air
ROLLTIDE1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:33 AM   #9
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Well, I guess the only good news in this situation is that you did not drop it in the toilet! Too big for most toilets.

It's becoming epidemic...
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:06 PM   #10
drambuie
macrumors 6502a

If it was just water that was spilled, letting it dry may work, but even if it dries, milk will leave residues that could be conductive, or corrosive. Whether the logic board is damaged, or not, is an unknown.

If it was my MBA and totally dead, I would disassemble it, following an iFixit guide. Then all components showing milk residue could be rinsed clean with distilled water and a soft brush, and allowed to dry completely. The hardest part will be the keyboard. It may need to be immersed for a while, and agitated. It could take a few days to dry. If you're lucky and the MBA suffered no component or logic board damage during the original spill, odds are it will work after reassembly. If it doesn't work, you'll only be out the time taken to clean it. The repair costs would be the same, except that the repair person won't be dealing with a milky mess.

Electronic components such as PC boards can be washed with distilled water without harm, if dried thoroughly before use. Tap water is not recommended, as it can have mineral content which will leave residues.
drambuie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air