Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:51 AM   #1
henneth
macrumors member

Battery on new Ipod Nano

I am a little disappointed in the battery for my 7th gen iPod nano. Apple says it lasts 30 hours but I think I am on track to get about ten. I do have EQ settings on and the volume is maxed out half the time as I listen to books on the train, which is a loud environment. With those in consideration, would a shorter than advertised battery life make sense?

To get 30 hours I would image the reviewers used no EQ, halfway volume and no real changing of tracks and interactions with the player?

I am just wondering if any other nano owners have experienced something similar.

Last edited by henneth; Nov 15, 2012 at 04:15 AM.
henneth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:14 PM   #2
LizKat
macrumors 68000

I can't really tell yet. I've been messing around with it too many different ways so far to get a consistent read on consistent use. I was using it with a jambox w/ bluetooth to watch a movie, for instance, then putting it w/ earbuds to watch a podcast, watching half of trhat and then plugging it into an battery powered mini speaker to finish watching that while I cooked... who knows what to expect from doing something like that. Today I was playing music and noticed it had got pretty low so I charged, but I had already done all that other stuff.

I'm going to top off the charge, then use it for music for a couple days, that's more my typical use of nanos, shuffles. Go through that a few charge cycles and see if it holds up more or less as advertised. Hope so, I really like using it and don't want to have to send it in for exchange, I'd have to do it hat way, too far from a retail store.
LizKat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:05 PM   #3
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816

I'm interested in knowing the battery life as well. Please keep us posted on the results. It looks like I am on the hunt for a black & slate iPod nano for my father for Christmas. I'm not yet convinced I want to buy it until I hear about the battery, since I know he will complain if it doesn't meet expectations. I'm also looking for one as close to $100 shipped as possible, so if anyone knows of anywhere at this price, please let me know. I can't see myself paying $100 for this thing when refurbed iPod Touches are $129 in the online Apple Store... but of course, if I bought him a refurbed gift, I'd never hear the end of that one from my mother.
myrtlebee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:36 AM   #4
Ffosse
macrumors regular

I get over 30 hours on mine, but I hardly ever put the screen on, preferring to browse my music using voiceover and playlists.
Ffosse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:34 AM   #5
dazz87
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffosse View Post
I get over 30 hours on mine, but I hardly ever put the screen on, preferring to browse my music using voiceover and playlists.
That why you are getting 30. With the screen on i could see the battery drain right in front of me. Bluetooth and the screen off, using the my speakers to skip tracks, I get about 9 hrs. Never really test using a pair of headphone.
dazz87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:26 AM   #6
henneth
macrumors member

Well after a few weeks with it, I am pretty happy with the battery. I once left it playing songs when I got home from work and overnight so it must have been playing for about 10 hours and the battery seemed to hold up pretty well.

I guess constant track skipping and interacting with the screen drain the battery fairly fast, but left alone (while playing) it seems to regain a bit.
henneth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:04 PM   #7
ZenErik
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to ZenErik
Quote:
Originally Posted by henneth View Post
I am a little disappointed in the battery for my 7th gen iPod nano. Apple says it lasts 30 hours but I think I am on track to get about ten. I do have EQ settings on and the volume is maxed out half the time as I listen to books on the train, which is a loud environment. With those in consideration, would a shorter than advertised battery life make sense?

To get 30 hours I would image the reviewers used no EQ, halfway volume and no real changing of tracks and interactions with the player?

I am just wondering if any other nano owners have experienced something similar.
A loud environment is no excuse for maxing out the volume. That's terrible for your hearing. I would suggest looking in to in ear headphones. The Shure SE series is excellent, for example.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod