Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:34 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Aaron Sorkin's Steve Jobs Biopic: Three 30-Minute Scenes Taking Place Before Three Product Launches

Aaron Sorkin, screenwriter of the movie based on Walter Isaacson's Steve Jobs biography, has shared some details behind the structure of the upcoming film.

Speaking from The Daily Beast's Hero Summit, Sorkin disclosed that the entire movie "is going to be 3 scenes, and take place in real-time." Further, each of the three 30-minute scenes will take place backstage before a major product launch.

Sorkin has previously noted that biography screenwriters frequently have difficulty overcoming a "cradle-to-grave structure".
Quote:
"Drama is tension versus obstacle. Someone wants something, something is standing in their way of getting it. They want the money, they want the girl, they want to get to Philadelphia - doesn't matter ... And I need to find that event and I will. I just don't know what it is," Sorkin said.
With the movie laid out in this real-time format, Sorkin seems to have written a rather unique film. It seems likely that the three major product releases that Sorkin is referring to will be the original Macintosh in 1984, the iMac in 1998, and the iPhone in 2007.

Update: According to Baba Shetty, the CEO of Newsweek, Sorkin mentioned the launches of the original Mac, the NeXT cube, and the iPod.

Update 2: The Daily Beast has posted the video of Sorkin's interview, with the Steve Jobs segment beginning around 22:30 and continuing through the end.

(Image courtesy Asa Mathat/All Things D)

Article Link: Aaron Sorkin's Steve Jobs Biopic: Three 30-Minute Scenes Taking Place Before Three Product Launches
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:36 PM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I'd be interested to see if there is some real excitement from Jobs prior to product launches. I venture to guess there is and it will be genuine.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:44 PM   #3
gwelmarten
macrumors 6502

I so can't wait for this, I just hope it's not a pile of crap.
gwelmarten is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:59 PM   #4
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Hmmm, the original Mac, the NeXT cube, and the iPod.

The sequel can therefore have the Apple II, Macintosh II and iPhone (Newton II) as the emphasis.

The end of the trilogy? Apple I, Mac Cube, Apple TV with a segment on what they all morphed into. By the time that is shown we will know what Apple TV becomes. Cube -> Mini and AI became the Mac ecosystem.

Rocketman
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:27 PM   #5
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Uh oh...

This strikes me as a boring way to do it, and that the story told will be woefully incomplete.
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:51 AM   #6
Jiz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
This strikes me as a boring way to do it, and that the story told will be woefully incomplete.
Well, it is only 3, half hour segment of his life.
Jiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:31 PM   #7
mailhojo
macrumors newbie

what your top three?

I say take the movie in a different direction...

1. Lisa
2. mac cube
3. iTunes Phone
mailhojo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:05 PM   #8
GQB
macrumors 65816

Absolutely Brilliant!
I've heard the story of the garage way too many times.
Looks like Sorkin has cracked it. Opens it up to be about the drama and characters, tightly focused on 3 critical eras.
I can't wait for this.
For those who want a traditional bio-pic, just go rent Pirates of Silicon Valley.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeegieMac View Post
Read the damn book, Sorkin.
Yeah... and make sure there are car chases and lots of explosions. Gotta make sure you pull the gamers out of their parents' basements.
GQB is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:44 PM   #9
WeegieMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post
Yeah... and make sure there are car chases and lots of explosions. Gotta make sure you pull the gamers out of their parents' basements.
That, was a woefully pish attempt at sarcastic humour. I for one have never resided in a basement and I lived with my parents over 10 years ago.

Try harder.
WeegieMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:43 PM   #10
Kwill
macrumors 68000

The sequel will depict the life of a customer waiting in Apple Store line for release of iPad 2, iPad 3 and iPad 4 all within the span of 1 year.

@ClinicalPosters
Kwill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:56 PM   #11
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwill View Post
The sequel will depict the life of a customer waiting in Apple Store line for release of iPad 2, iPad 3 and iPad 4 all within the span of 1 year.
lmao
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:08 PM   #12
powers74
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvetio View Post

but how does that relate with the scenes where ashton-kutshsomething was stoned in the middle of a field?
Different movie.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:45 PM   #13
Mykbibby
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Mykbibby
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Tom Cruise is the perfect choice to play Steve Jobs.

Before you go off on me saying I'm crazy, think about it. No, REALLY think about it. He's perfect.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:04 PM   #14
Patriot24
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykbibby View Post

Before you go off on me saying I'm crazy, think about it. No, REALLY think about it. He's perfect.
Wholeheartedly agree. He has the look when he has the unshaven stubble look going. Think "Collateral" without the hair.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykbibby View Post

I have to agree. Especially compared with the moronic train wreck called Ashton Kutcher.
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:09 PM   #16
Vertigo50
macrumors 65816

I will withhold judgement until I see how it actually plays out, but on the surface, this sounds exceedingly boring. The whole of Steve Jobs' life is to be contained in these three scenes? Now, if there are lots of flashbacks and things intertwined, it could make for a good structure. We'll have to wait and see.
Vertigo50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:56 PM   #17
wlow3
macrumors member

I think the quote is "intention versus obstacles," not "tension versus obstacles."

Also, I wonder what Jobs typically did for those 30 minutes before his product launch -- go over his notes?

The one when Bill Gates invested in Apple, supposedly he was negotiating with him on the phone right before the keynote. That would be different.

I wonder what his "want" will be for each act. It has to be something other than putting on a good keynote.
wlow3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:09 PM   #18
louis Fashion
macrumors 6502a

If it is anything like NEWSROOM, I will pass.

----------

QUOTE: I'm not remotely religious but you do realize that Jesus Christ was an actual person, right? The Roman Empire was one of the most meticulous administrative bureaucracies of all time with record keeping astonishing for its day (Nazi Germany was similar in this regard). The birth, death, and major events in the life of the man Jesus Christ are documented, amply, in original source material. To be clear, I am not saying he rose from the dead. I am simply saying that he was born and ultimately crucified under Pontius Pilate. Real people. Real events. Non fiction. END QUOTE.

I did not know the JC was a actual person. I have often wondered, I mean the whole story sounds rather unlikely, virgin birth, the Dali painting of the ascension comes to mind, wow is that art or not? Was his name really Jesus Christ the son of Mr. and Mrs. Christ? I wonder why none of my Jewish friends have Christ as a last name? Oh well live and learn.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:52 PM   #19
you people smh
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo50 View Post
I will withhold judgement until I see how it actually plays out, but on the surface, this sounds exceedingly boring. The whole of Steve Jobs' life is to be contained in these three scenes? Now, if there are lots of flashbacks and things intertwined, it could make for a good structure. We'll have to wait and see.
And "The Social Network" was simply one scene depicting a deposition.... Sorkin doesn't screw up much.
you people smh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:14 PM   #20
marksman
Banned

I am a huge Sorkin fan and this format intrigues me. It ill make for a much more entertaining movie then doing a 30 year life and times piece. Early Sorkin has chosen to capture jobs and not just tell his life story.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeegieMac View Post
I just can't help feel that having it feature solely on three product launches belittles the work Isaacson put into writing the book and just tosses aside so much more about Jobs that could be shown on screen.

To base a movie, based on a biography, around nothing more than product launches and backstage action just seems like a huge waste of some fantastic source material.

What about Sculley? What about NeXT? What about Pixar? What about his close bond with Ive? Do we really have to see three keynotes reenacted as nothing more than backstage footage?
A 100 scene movie with a minute given to major points is just a bad movie. As others have mentioned and Sorkin clearly said such projects do not make good films. Jobs has done too much in his life to adequately tell the story in 120 minutes. So Sorkin will target three defining moments, flesh them out, tie them together and deliver the essence of jobs. It is not a history lesson it is a movie designed to entertain and tell a story.
marksman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:30 PM   #21
hbt15
macrumors newbie

I hate to bag on Sorkin as he's done some great work......but this sounds like utter ****.

30 minutes in real time of steve before a product launch? How does that tell us anything about his life that viewers might cling to and gain a better understanding of what made him "steve".

Sounds like a bomb waiting to happen.
hbt15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:24 PM   #22
leontief
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbt15 View Post
I hate to bag on Sorkin as he's done some great work......but this sounds like utter ****.

30 minutes in real time of steve before a product launch? How does that tell us anything about his life that viewers might cling to and gain a better understanding of what made him "steve".

Sounds like a bomb waiting to happen.
But you see no one really cares about what made him steve outside of this little echo chamber. Steve's life is just not that interesting for a movie. You need something else (drama) for a larger appeal, let's hope Sorkin finds it.
leontief is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:37 AM   #23
johannar
Banned

Waiting

Sounds good to me, cant wait for this! When will the movie supposed to premiere
johannar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:11 AM   #24
ItsWelshy
macrumors regular

Wow

BBC Worldwide has referenced this site!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20356996
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:50 AM   #25
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
30-minute scenes will take place backstage before a major product launch. Sorkin seems to have written a rather unique film.
You can't modify a superlative. It is commonly done (e.g. "very unique"), but it's still a no-no.

Yes, the grammar pedant is here.

(I don't like the commonly used phrase...I don't think the word "Nazi" should be used casually)

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion