Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Barron's reports on a new research note from Jefferies & Co. analyst James Kisner noting that he believes the launch of an unspecified Apple television product (presumably either a new set-top box or a connected television) is "imminent". Kisner's belief comes from information he has received indicating that at least one major U.S. cable company is assessing the potential impact on its network infrastructure from such a device.
Our discussions with industry contacts suggest that at least one major N. American MSO is working to estimate how much additional capacity may be needed for a new Apple device on their broadband data network. We believe this potentially suggests an imminent launch of the Apple TV, a positive development for ARRIS, who is directly exposed to data traffic growth from incremental IP video streams on cable networks
Kisner's research note is actually addressing the impact on ARRIS, a major communications technology that handles much of the network infrastructure for U.S. cable companies, most notably Comcast. Kisner believes that a forthcoming Apple television product would bode well for ARRIS, as it would force cable companies to increase their network capacity to handle such demands as on-demand HD streams from users of the new Apple product.

apple_tv_2012_interface-500x308.jpg
Rumors of an Apple television set peaked approximately a year ago with Steve Jobs having briefly addressed the topic for Walter Isaacson's authorized biography published shortly after Jobs' death. At the time, follow-up rumors suggested that the set could be announced in late 2012 ahead of an early 2013 launch, but talk of such a product has quieted down in recent months amid reports of difficult content negotiations.

Article Link: U.S. Cable Companies Reportedly Assessing Potential Infrastructure Impact of 'Imminent' Apple TV Product

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Not yet. There hasn't been enough leaking confirmation of negotiations between content providers. Apple needs a channel subscription model to really take tv shows and movies to the next level. Moving from a TV box to a TV alone won't be revolutionary at all.

I still don't think this will launch for at least 6 months.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Apple left a rather large hole in their release schedule when they moved iPads to Fall (assuming they keep a yearly release cycle from here on out).

Old Schedule:
Spring: iPads
Summer: Macs
Fall: iPhone

New Schedule:
Spring: ?
Summer: OS X & Devices
Fall: iOS & Devices

Given the current state of product updates, what are they going to release in the Spring?

<Queue rampant speculation>

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Here we go again.... :rolleyes:

The hedge funds tanked the stock enough now they can reap the rewards with this information they are leaking out.

----------

Apple left a rather large hole in their release schedule when they moved iPads to Fall (assuming they keep a yearly release cycle from here on out).

Old Schedule:

New Schedule:

Given the current state of product updates, what are they going to release in the Spring?

What's interesting is this. Most people know that new TVs usually come out in Fed/March..and that your best deals come in January or Feb...right before the refresh.

So yes, maybe this is what Apple is planning.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
I just hope it is in the next year. I need a new TV and there are so many cool things that could be done if Apple offered a complete solution!

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
They needn't worry. Apple will announce it, say it's coming in November and December then never actually release it.

*ducks*

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
If it's a real product (and a television) and we think it will fill the "hole" in Spring, look for buzz that Apple will attend CES in January. That's where to roll it out if it is a television. If it is a genuine "next big thing", Apple could steal the thunder of that whole show... rather than saving the rollout for some dedicated event.

Personally, I've never bought the idea of building a whole television AND having the same functionality in a cheap set top box (to work with other HDTVs). From my perspective that would be like making iOS available for all cell phones or OS X available for all computers. The software is the "what's special" piece. If I can hook up a cheap box with the same software benefits to my existing HDTV, I'm unlikely to pay the Apple price to replace the HDTV I have now.

jdodoubleg

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
Washington
What's interesting is this. Most people know that new TVs usually come out in Fed/March..and that your best deals come in January or Feb...right before the refresh.

I think Televisions come out at this time because it is right before the Superbowl, and Americans love their football on huge television.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
I want time shifting.

I want to be able to watch any show I want. At anytime. Anywhere.

I don't want to have to subscribe to cable for this very reason — television companies hate time shifting. They want you to watch TV on their schedule.

I want to subscribe to channels on an a la carte basis. I want to pay a couple bucks per month for an ESPN "app" and a couple others, through my Apple ID. I then want to watch the content live or on-demand, my choice. None of those "package deals" crap. I don't need to pay for 300+ channels I don't watch.

This is the future. Hopefully Apple brings it.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
If it's a real product (and a television) and we think it will fill the "hole" in Spring, look for buzz that Apple will attend CES in January. That's where to roll it out if it is a television. If it is a genuine "next big thing", Apple could steal the thunder of that whole show... rather than saving the rollout for some dedicated event.

Personally, I've never bought the idea of building a whole television AND having the same functionality in a cheap set top box (to work with other HDTVs). From my perspective that would be like making iOS available for all cell phones or OS X available for all computers. The software is the "what's special" piece. If I can hook up a cheap box with the same software benefits to my existing HDTV, I'm unlikely to pay the Apple price to replace the HDTV I have now.

Apple has shown that they are more than happy to hold their own event around the time of CES to rain on everyone else's parade. I doubt they are interested in being just another booth on the show floor. Holding their own event makes them appear more special and acquire more buzz.

Affordability is the name of the game if Apple is going to release any type of television product. To succeed, they will need a large buy-in out of the gate from consumers, which they aren't going to get selling premium TVs at $3,000 a piece. Offer a set top box for $99 with subscription pricing thereafter and you have an instant winner.

Bolo4u

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2009

Old Schedule:

New Schedule:
Never: Mac Pro, iMac

Fixed.

mklaman

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2006
the day i can buy the 6 channels i watch (plus sports packages) and not pay for over 300... i will be the worlds happiest man.

apple is the only company that can make that happen and i hope they do!

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I hate that word. Imminent

Just wait until we see the first home button picture for this device.

It's in the shape of buttocks and since people don't want to move you can switch channels by just shifting how you sit.

Comes in black or white.

From analyst Kis Mio .....

JoJack82

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2010
the day i can buy the 6 channels i watch (plus sports packages) and not pay for over 300... i will be the worlds happiest man.

apple is the only company that can make that happen and i hope they do!

Sports is the only thing keeping me with my cable connection. If the major leagues offered something like MLB.tv but without the local blackouts I would cancel my cable in a heartbeat. Problem is that the current model of TV distribution rights would never allow this.

lucasmonger

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
Illinois
I want time shifting.

I want to be able to watch any show I want. At anytime. Anywhere.

I don't want to have to subscribe to cable for this very reason — television companies hate time shifting. They want you to watch TV on their schedule.

I want to subscribe to channels on an a la carte basis. I want to pay a couple bucks per month for an ESPN "app" and a couple others, through my Apple ID. I then want to watch the content live or on-demand, my choice. None of those "package deals" crap. I don't need to pay for 300+ channels I don't watch.

This is the future. Hopefully Apple brings it.

I completely agree!!! Just add to that, the ability to start something on the TV and continue on an iDevice no matter where I am. Plus add the ability to pay less to watch a particular sports team, not be forced to pay to watch the entire league.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.