Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:14 PM   #1
philipma1957
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Okay into the breach again new quad 2.3 arrives RAM tests and more.

This is the replacement for the 'bad' mid range mini 2012. My thanks to jr.com for fast replacement.

Okay I am running this with 16gb crucial ram.

so far the test is 9 hours plus.

here is a shot of the ram test.


I will run it until fri morning.

then try prime95.

then try hand brake. so far so good.

My thanks to snowcake for pushing me onto ripping the memtest86+ dvd .


after a few attempts at trying to make one. i now have a good software dvd for ram testing.


my room temps are 78 f or about 25.5 c
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2306.JPG
Views:	433
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	377564  

Last edited by philipma1957; Nov 15, 2012 at 10:13 PM.
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:25 AM   #2
Snowcake
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
I am very interested if you still have problems with running cputest under osx running from the usb3.

Looks good so far!
Snowcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:33 AM   #3
philipma1957
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Okay real fast. no photos for now but I ran the ram test with 16gb ram for 20 hours it passed. I am booting with a samsung model 830 256gb ssd in the oyen usb3 case. my house temps are 76 f. cpu test has a bug and failed but I am sure it is the test. I am now running prime95 net and it is passing.
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:15 AM   #4
dasx
macrumors 65816
 
dasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Barcelona
Let's see that new CPU.

I received today my spare Mini bottom cover. Got a lot of work right now so I don't know when I'll be able to mod it, but as soon as I do it I'll start some tests too.
__________________
Grey computer which does complicated stuff.
Cell phone that can talk to me. (Seriously).
"Fancy quote from dead guy"
dasx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:33 PM   #5
philipma1957
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
here are the quad 2.3 stacked on the base 2.5 and the 20 plus hour result for the test of the 16gb of ram in the quad. house temp is 78f
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2308.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	377721   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2309.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	377722  
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:40 PM   #6
motrek
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
here are the quad 2.3 stacked on the base 2.5 and the 20 plus hour result for the test of the 16gb of ram in the quad. house temp is 78f
How are CPU temps and fan speeds?
motrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:42 PM   #7
dasx
macrumors 65816
 
dasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
here are the quad 2.3 stacked on the base 2.5 and the 20 plus hour result for the test of the 16gb of ram in the quad. house temp is 78f
Wasn't your first quad a 2.6?
__________________
Grey computer which does complicated stuff.
Cell phone that can talk to me. (Seriously).
"Fancy quote from dead guy"
dasx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:46 PM   #8
MJL
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasx View Post
Let's see that new CPU.

I received today my spare Mini bottom cover. Got a lot of work right now so I don't know when I'll be able to mod it, but as soon as I do it I'll start some tests too.
Like this?

Using an air filter normally used for a motorbike intake (finest mesh)? It's amazing how clean the innards stay when using a filter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0457.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	377767   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0458.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	3.19 MB
ID:	377768   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0456.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	377766  


Last edited by MJL; Nov 16, 2012 at 06:51 PM.
MJL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:25 PM   #9
dasx
macrumors 65816
 
dasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL View Post
Like this?

Using an air filter normally used for a motorbike intake (finest mesh)? It's amazing how clean the innards stay when using a filter.
I was planning to go for a bigger hole, lol But yeah, that's the idea.
What difference did you notice? Better temps? Lower fans speeds while at same temps?

I'm gonna pass on the foam base though. I'll stick 3 rubber pads to the bottom. That base you got there seems to be blocking a lot of air.
__________________
Grey computer which does complicated stuff.
Cell phone that can talk to me. (Seriously).
"Fancy quote from dead guy"
dasx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:37 PM   #10
propower
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL View Post
Like this?

Using an air filter normally used for a motorbike intake (finest mesh)? It's amazing how clean the innards stay when using a filter.
I think this looks like a good idea! Do you have any temperature performance numbers for doing this mod - before and after --

Thanks!
__________________
2011 MBA 11", 1.7GHz i5, Mountain Lion
iphone5, ipad Rmini, Apple TV, 24" LED
Late 2013 27" imac, 3.5GHz i7, 256 SSD, GTX775M 2G
Blackmagic Multidock - PT11HD HD Native TB AVID 16x16
propower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:49 PM   #11
Snowcake
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
Okay real fast. no photos for now but I ran the ram test with 16gb ram for 20 hours it passed. I am booting with a samsung model 830 256gb ssd in the oyen usb3 case. my house temps are 76 f. cpu test has a bug and failed but I am sure it is the test. I am now running prime95 net and it is passing.
A bug? If i understand it correctly it happened when you booted from your usb3 SSD?

I don't think it is a bug. Because your dualcore was ok with it.

But it was an error, and you thought it was a bug? Or CPU test simply crashed?
Snowcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:28 PM   #12
philipma1957
Thread Starter
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcake View Post
A bug? If i understand it correctly it happened when you booted from your usb3 SSD?

I don't think it is a bug. Because your dualcore was ok with it.

But it was an error, and you thought it was a bug? Or CPU test simply crashed?
no the cputest is not the prime95 test. both the dual core and the new quad passed the prime95 test.

the cputest runs wacky on both the dual core i5 ivy bridge and the quad core i7 ivy bridge.

but the cputest does work on the dual core c2d 2010 mini.
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:39 PM   #13
Snowcake
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
no the cputest is not the prime95 test. both the dual core and the new quad passed the prime95 test.

the cputest runs wacky on both the dual core i5 ivy bridge and the quad core i7 ivy bridge.

but the cputest does work on the dual core c2d 2010 mini.
Can you please explain precisely what you mean by "wacky"? Because the ui of cputest is another thread/program than the actual cpu-stressing-tread/program. (Afaik)

The bug should only affect the ui part, not the stress part. (If it is a bug)

Last edited by Snowcake; Nov 17, 2012 at 08:45 PM.
Snowcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:29 PM   #14
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601
 
Mr. Retrofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: www.emiliana.cl
@philipma1957:
Thanks for your new tests! Very useful!

:-) :-) :-)
__________________

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC