Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dw3bb10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
How often does the radio scan for an LTE signal on its own when its turned on? I know that some devices, the GS3 and Note 2 on Sprint for example, will scan automatically ONCE every half hour when LTE isn't connected. Of course, this would not have a negative effect on battery life. Anyone know what the ping time is on the iPhone?

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
How often does the radio scan for an LTE signal on its own when its turned on? I know that some devices, the GS3 and Note 2 on Sprint for example, will scan automatically ONCE every half hour when LTE isn't connected. Of course, this would not have a negative effect on battery life. Anyone know what the ping time is on the iPhone?

...why does this matter?

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010

This is very interesting. I didn't know the phone actually scanned for lte like that. Would be interested in reading more about this.

dw3bb10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
...why does this matter?

Obviously, If the ping time is say once every 30 minutes, then I could just leave it on, even when not in an LTE area, or if coverage is spotty, and not have to worry about taking a huge hit on battery because its not scanning so often. Get it? -___-

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Obviously, If the ping time is say once every 30 minutes, then I could just leave it on, even when not in an LTE area, or if coverage is spotty, and not have to worry about taking a huge hit on battery because its not scanning so often. Get it? -___-

When it gets an LTE signal then it'll connect to LTE obviously, get it?

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
i think the scanning for it is what kills battery? if your in an lte area and its connected it should get better battery life correct?

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
If you can't wait, then switch LTE off and then on to force scan the area for LTE (if it isn't connected)

In the early days of LTE last year, phones would have trouble hooking back on to LTE quickly after switching down to HSPA+ for a voice call, but it really doesn't happen anymore

tys

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
We don't have LTE in my area yet. I noticed a huge improvement in battery life when I tuned LTE off in the iPhone 5 settings, which leads me to believe that the phone does indeed waste energy scanning for LTE that isn't there. No idea how often it scans, however.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
When it gets an LTE signal then it'll connect to LTE obviously, get it?

You're trying really hard to miss the point here. The OP is being pretty clear.

He wants to know when to shut off LTE and when he shouldn't bother. I don't actually know the answer to the question either, it would be interesting to know.

bluerocka

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2009
I could be missing something here... but if you move from a 4G to an LTE area and the phone connects immediately, this would leave me to believe that it is constantly scanning for the network. Possibly even up to a thousand times a second (once every millisecond). This is something that an Apple engineer would have to comment on :p

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
No idea how often the scan frequency is, but I can also confirm that if you're in a 4G only area, the battery drains pretty quick, and turning off LTE stops it. So, the answer for now is "often enough."

I would turn it off and maybe manually scan for LTE (turning it on, letting it sit for a minute or two, and if no LTE, turn it off) once a day or so.

The New iPad

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2012
I think the scan for LTE does take up a lot of battery. When I'm in a certain building that has thick walls and no signal, I leave an hour later with 10% gone just listening to music. When I turned off LTE, much better battery life. Down maybe 1-2%. These results are consistent but not scientific.

dw3bb10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
you're trying really hard to miss the point here. The op is being pretty clear.

He wants to know when to shut off lte and when he shouldn't bother. I don't actually know the answer to the question either, it would be interesting to know.

thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.