Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geetee24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
I'm new to the mac community so i'm really quite clueless with the java lingo here (not that i was with windows). I just bought my 15" rMBP and it comes preloaded with OS X v10.8.2. Here's my situation.

I was trying to install Vuze and it had a pop-up saying this: 'To open "Vuze Installer", you need a Java SE 6 runtime. Would you like to istall one now?". I clicked install and i got this: 'The update "Java for OS X 2012-006" can't be installed.'

Thinking that just installing any Java would suffice, i downloaded and installed V7U9. It still couldn't work so i looked around macforums and found this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5559?viewlocale=en_US

I don't know what i did with that and i dont' know what's going on with my mac right now. I still have java 7 installed but i don't know if it's running as it should. and how can i get java SE 6 so that i can install Vuze, and some other applications that might need SE 6?

Sorry for the long post. don't know the jargons to shorten this.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
When faced with Installer issues, as you are, the first troubleshooting step is opening Console and searching the logs for "install" - that will return anything installd logged while installing software.

geetee24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
When faced with Installer issues, as you are, the first troubleshooting step is opening Console and searching the logs for "install" - that will return anything installd logged while installing software.

would having the icon in my system preferences be suffice to say that it's already installed? that was what i gathered from the java website itself.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
would having the icon in my system preferences be suffice to say that it's already installed? that was what i gathered from the java website itself.
That icon being present only says that Java 7 is installed correctly. It says nothing at all about Java 6, which is sourced from Apple, not Oracle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.