Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:01 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple and Google's Motorola Unit Seeking Arbitration to Resolve Patent Dispute

Bloomberg reports that a new court filing in the ongoing patent dispute between Apple and Google's Motorola Mobility unit reveals that both sides are interested in using binding arbitration in order to resolve the issues related to standards-essential patents at a minimum, if not the entire dispute.
Quote:
The companies have been exchanging proposals on using binding arbitration to reach a licensing agreement over patents that are essential to comply with industry standards on how phones operate. Such an agreement could lead to a global settlement of all of their patent disputes, Apple said in a filing yesterday.

"Apple is also interested in resolving its dispute with Motorola completely and agrees that arbitration may be the best vehicle to resolve the parties' dispute," Apple said in the filing.
Arbitration would avoid the need for a further protraction of the ongoing court cases, moving the dispute out of the courts and into the hands of a neutral third third party who would review evidence and render a decision that both parties would be legally obligated to accept.

The willingness to engage in arbitration is another sign that the mobile companies involved in a vast web of lawsuits may be seeking to wind down their confrontations, with Apple and HTC having announced a settlement in their dispute over the weekend. Apple's major foe is, however, still Samsung and it appears that there may be no settlement in sight for that dispute.

Article Link: Apple and Google's Motorola Unit Seeking Arbitration to Resolve Patent Dispute
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:07 PM   #2
DarkWinter
macrumors member

Less of the thermonuclear then, it would appear.
DarkWinter is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:08 PM   #3
maknik
macrumors regular

I can't believe Motorola still has that logo. Now that Google owns them, they've really got to replace the 50's bra with something a little more modern.

Last edited by maknik; Nov 18, 2012 at 02:55 PM.
maknik is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:10 PM   #4
truettray
macrumors regular

I'm sick of the patent stories... and I'm not saying that against Macrumors. I'm just tired of these corporations being so ridiculous. Here's hoping that the end is in sight.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:14 PM   #5
Optheduim
macrumors member

i am 100% all for defending your intellectual property. BUT good... I am so tired of reading legal disputes on this website
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:16 PM   #6
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
Best news I've heard all year.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:51 PM   #7
you people smh
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy7ygy View Post
The only corporation that is ridiculous is Samsung.

God awful, distasteful company that the world would be a much better place without..

This isn't a 'fanboystic' approach; more personal through use of their dire products.

S
Let's see, if we go to your utopian world where samsung doesn't exist, we lose retina displays, ipads, iphones, ipod touches, etc...
you people smh is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:54 PM   #8
ItsWelshy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by you people smh View Post
Let's see, if we go to your utopian world where samsung doesn't exist, we lose retina displays, ipads, iphones, ipod touches, etc...
Of course not, Apple would just find another monkey to make them.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:39 AM   #9
thasan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
mmm...someone else would have made them
thasan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:01 PM   #10
selva
macrumors member

Quote:
If Samsung did not exist Sharp, LG, Foxconn, HTC, etc. would just be larger to meet consumer demand. The world would get along just fine without Samsung.
selva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:05 PM   #11
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy7ygy View Post
The only corporation that is ridiculous is Samsung.

God awful, distasteful company that the world would be a much better place without..

This isn't a 'fanboystic' approach; more personal through use of their dire products.

S
You keep telling yourself that.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
Some people think different from you on that topic:

"I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong. I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this."

--Steve Jobs
He spread the most FUD about Android and people ate it all up, and still do.
dalbir4444 is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:02 PM   #12
Mactendo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbir4444 View Post
You keep telling yourself that.

----------

He spread the most FUD about Android and people ate it all up, and still do.
And 'He' knows the situation better than you or anyone else in the world. Google CEO Schmidt was a member on the board of directors for Apple and resigned due to 'conflicts of interest'. Pure comparison shows that Android evolution was heavily 'inspired' by iOS.
Mactendo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:44 PM   #13
duffman9000
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maknik View Post
I can't believe Motorola still has that logo. Now that Google owns then, they've really got to replace the 50's bra with something a little more modern.
Given how MOTOROLA is plastered all over their phones, I'd take that bra. Imagine if your iPhone had APPLE all over the place.
duffman9000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:59 PM   #14
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
I can't believe Motorola still has that logo. Now that Google owns then, they've really got to replace the 50's bra with something a little more modern.
Now that you mention it, you're right. It's like something from "The World of Tomorrow" circa 1964 World's Fair.
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:07 PM   #15
evansls
macrumors member

Quote:
...This is where everyone scrolls up the page to see if the logo looks like a 50's bra.
evansls is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:12 PM   #16
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evansls View Post
...This is where everyone scrolls up the page to see if the logo looks like a 50's bra.
You can see it here, in the graphics from a Japanese high school anime story that cast all the phone makers as characters. Motorola is on the far right. Next left is HTC (her HTC wallpaper apron gives it away), then prim Nokia with the cup. Not sure who's next, but then the crazy one with the blaster is Samsung, with LG left of her. The Apple boy is easy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	anime_smartphones.png
Views:	241
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	377747

As for the news, it should be noted that Motorola first brought up the idea of arbitration on Nov. 5, just before a federal judge in Wisconsin threw out Apple's lawsuit claiming Motorola was misusing its FRAND patents.

Last edited by kdarling; Nov 16, 2012 at 04:18 PM.
kdarling is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:17 PM   #17
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

This cat is surprised

Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:18 PM   #18
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
Yeah, if he were alive, Steve Jobs might have stroked out seeing Android's market share today. It's playing out a bit like late 80s-early 90s Apple vs Microsoft.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:57 PM   #19
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with the batwing logo. It is a timeless logo much like the Coca-Cola logo or the Ford blue oval. There is no reason to change a classic logo that has instant recognition from consumers.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:51 AM   #20
tdream
macrumors 65816

Quote:
38 DoubleDs?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:09 PM   #21
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
Good Stuff, get that out thy way and lets get back to innovation at its finest!!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:08 PM   #22
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWinter View Post
Less of the thermonuclear then, it would appear.
It was an idiotic comment that Steve obviously said in anger - there's no way Apple could do bugger all to stop Android's success (and yes, it is a success).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsWelshy View Post
I hope not. Android is a stolen OS, it would be disgusting if Google get away with this.
Oh shut up and educate yourself on Android and iOS Mr Troll. It is not a stolen OS.

Sorry to be so blunt but it's pathetic.
rmwebs is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:25 PM   #23
Belly-laughs
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Belly-laughs
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
It was an idiotic comment that Steve obviously said in anger - there's no way Apple could do bugger all to stop Android's success (and yes, it is a success).

Oh shut up and educate yourself on Android and iOS Mr Troll. It is not a stolen OS.

abusive much? you only think it's pathetic because you think you´re better educated on the subject, but nothing suggests you are.
Belly-laughs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:36 PM   #24
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly-laughs View Post
abusive much? you only think it's pathetic because you think you´re better educated on the subject, but nothing suggests you are.
That's deep.
dalbir4444 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:45 PM   #25
theinsider
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post

I'm going to chime in here, not to say Android is a stolen OS, but to say that it wouldn't be what it is now if Apple had not introduced the iPhone. What competitors, prior to the iPhone, was Android targeting? Blackberry. Almost every phone was an attempt to take a little of the share away from them. This is not to say that it wouldn't have evolved to what we see today but it wouldn't have happened within the same time frame.
theinsider is offline   8 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion