Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Googled it, most required cydia or converting. I have some movies and shows I would like to play but converting them all to mp4 is a hassle, is there a way I can just use another player or something to watch on my phone?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
You probably won't find a player that can handle every possible codec that an AVI container can hold. Converting is fairly easy Handbrake. You can even set up a queue for conversion.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
It also looks like OPlayer is some kind of streaming service? Can't really do that either, I'm on a 2gb plan now.

kiantech

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
It also looks like OPlayer is some kind of streaming service? Can't really do that either, I'm on a 2gb plan now.

The app isn't $20. It is $3. It's up to you if playing your pirated videos is worth the investment.

I'm not the type of person to jump on someone, but I see so many people complain about a $3, $2, even $.99 apps, yet they will go eat out multiple times a week.

You paid $200 for a phone and pay > $100 a month for the contract. If you are that short on money that $3 one time is a stretch, then having a smart phone might not be the best 2-year commitment.

I use cinexplayer. It works great at playing AVIs. It is $2 on the app store. It plays files locally, not streaming.

hardax

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
New Hampshire
Just tried the "lite" version of OPlayer and streaming over WiFi works nicely but when copied over to local iphone storage the playback is horrible. Very choppy. I would think the opposite would be true? Also be aware that this app cannot play AC3 audio (they state on the support page that they do not have a license for it) and said video will have no audio.

Kind of defeats the purpose of buying an app that is supposed to play most video on the fly without the need to convert first doesnt it?

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Download HDPlayer. Great app to use to play videos sync'd to the phone.

To convert files easily use AirVideo. I use it as my primary method to convert files since it is pretty much one touch convert. I only use handbrake if I can't convert a file for some reason.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Just tried the "lite" version of OPlayer and streaming over WiFi works nicely but when copied over to local iphone storage the playback is horrible. Very choppy. I would think the opposite would be true? Also be aware that this app cannot play AC2.14 € (3*aud)io (they state on the support page that they do not have a license for it) and said video will have no audio.

Kind of defeats the purpose of buying an app that is supposed to play most video on the fly without the need to convert first doesnt it?

Yeah, AC3 being unplayable is unfortunate. The previous version plays it though, so I'm not updating.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
The app isn't $20. It is $3. It's up to you if playing your pirated videos is worth the investment.

I'm not the type of person to jump on someone, but I see so many people complain about a $3, $2, even $.99 apps, yet they will go eat out multiple times a week.

You paid $200 for a phone and pay > $100 a month for the contract. If you are that short on money that $3 one time is a stretch, then having a smart phone might not be the best 2-year commitment.

I use cinexplayer. It works great at playing AVIs. It is $2 on the app store. It plays files locally, not streaming.
So my movies are pirated because I didn't get them from iTunes? And is there a $3 iTunes card? No I have to go to the store and pick up a $15 or $20 dollar card

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
So my movies are pirated because I didn't get them from iTunes? And is there a $3 iTunes card? No I have to go to the store and pick up a $15 or $20 dollar card

Why not use another payment method? :confused: I thought the iTunes Store accept all major credit cards & even PayPal for payment...

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Why not use another payment method? :confused: I thought the iTunes Store accept all major credit cards & even PayPal for payment...

I don't want to use a credit card right now, I'm still reeling off that psn hack. Sometimes I wish they had this like future tech where you can put real money in the phone and it'll transmit it to Apple HQ and you can use it as iTunes Credit.
But I guess I will just have to convert it, damn Apple and their insistence on using mp4 -_-

superstardj

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
NC
I don't want to use a credit card right now, I'm still reeling off that psn hack. Sometimes I wish they had this like future tech where you can put real money in the phone and it'll transmit it to Apple HQ and you can use it as iTunes Credit
But I guess I will just have to convert it, damn Apple and their insistence on using mp4 -_-

Do you have a bank account? Link it to PayPal and they will draft the 3 bucks and you don't have to buy a 20 iTunes card

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Do you have a bank account? Link it to PayPal and they will draft the 3 bucks and you don't have to buy a 20 iTunes card

I can't use the app anyway, it's a stream service basically and I'm only on a 2gb plan. I would hit my data limit before next friday and my cycle doesn't even until december 6th, i'll just have to convert it. Atleast until a jailbreak comes out.

lurch0101

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
it's crazy that some are assuming that our videos are pirated and somehow you can judge as to why some of us don't want to pay .99, 1.99 or 2.99 etc for whatever reason. just wow...

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
it's crazy that some are assuming that our videos are pirated and somehow you can judge as to why some of us don't want to pay .99, 1.99 or 2.99 etc for whatever reason. just wow...

It's like they assume we're all money machines that can spend $ on anything even if it would be a bad investment in the end. Now I see why people really do prefer android, its more convenient and you don't have to spend 12 hours converting every video file to an iTunes playable one.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I can't use the app anyway, it's a stream service basically and I'm only on a 2gb plan. I would hit my data limit before next friday and my cycle doesn't even until december 6th, i'll just have to convert it. Atleast until a jailbreak comes out.

Can you download the video to your phone so streaming is not necessary?

Vundu

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Oplayer has no iphone5 support and AC3 has been removed.
AVplayer used to be the best but has been removed from the App Store.

There are not decent movie players in the App Store IMO.

A big shame as I would not mind paying for a decent stylish one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.