Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:12 PM   #1
Sagnet
macrumors newbie

TV and Receiver through a switch

Hi! What do I need to change in the setup below in order to get the receiver and TV online? The Airport Express works as it should, providing wireless access to the web, but the receiver and TV won't connect. Do I need to replace the switch with a router, or do some other kind of configuration? Thanks.

Sagnet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:15 PM   #2
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Yes, you need a router between the modem and the switch. Lost of routers come with 4 ethernet ports so if that's all u need, u can get rid of the switch or put in on the shelf until u need more ports.

If u are paying a monthly fee for the modem, u can buy a modem+router in one, just ask the cabler for which "gateway" is suitable for their network. Save some$ there. Just make sure plugging the new gateway doesn't require a visit 'cuz the bastards may charge u for the bother.

Last edited by Mrbobb; Nov 16, 2012 at 08:41 PM.
Mrbobb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:23 PM   #3
Pyromonkey83
macrumors 6502

Exactly as the poster above said, you need a router. The switch can then be used in conjunction with said router if you want, but it is not necessary. Most routers come with a 4 port switch built in so you have 4 LAN ports with the router, as well as the DHCP and internal network capabilities.

Just replace the switch with a router and you will be good to go.
Pyromonkey83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:30 AM   #4
Sagnet
macrumors newbie

Thanks, guys. So there's no way to use the Airport Express as said router? As in manually configuring the TV and receiver to ask the AE for an IP address, etc, like my wireless devices do?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:46 AM   #5
Macman45
macrumors G5

Maybe a simpler way of explaining this. I have a similar setup, with an Onkyo AV receiver / 3D system

The TV is connected to the internet via a port on my Modem / Router ( isp supplied Netgear) The smart TV's don't need to sit on your network, so just require a free port on your modem if you have one.

The Onkyo is connected to the TV, and I have a 32" smart TV in the bedroom which is also hardwired to the Modem / Router.

My AE acts as a bridge, boosting the 5GHZ signal for my IOS and Mac laptops. I have tried connecting the smart TV's to my network via my Time Capsule, which also works if you have free ports.

Basically, the TV's just need an Internet connection to access their "Smart" functions. It varies by make, but out of curiosity after reading this, I tried connecting the newer of the 2 TV's...The Toshiba 32" in the bedroom via the Ethernet port on my Airport Express. It found the connection fine, but the Sony in the lounge won't...It needs a direct connection via the router.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:33 AM   #6
Diode
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Diode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagnet View Post
Thanks, guys. So there's no way to use the Airport Express as said router? As in manually configuring the TV and receiver to ask the AE for an IP address, etc, like my wireless devices do?
If the tv and receiver use wireless then yes you could connect them.

However, if they don't have wifi they would need a wireless to ethernet bridge device to connect them. You could plug it into the switch and it would give the TV and receiver access to the Airport Express.

IE something like this: http://www.hhgregg.com/linksys-by-ci...d/item/WET610N

It would be just cheaper to get a router with a built in switch, however.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:46 PM   #7
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagnet View Post
U can use the AE as long as it has a WAN port, then hookup its LAN port to the existing switch, so basically move the AE between the modem and the switch. U will need to go into the AE and do some configuration.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:49 PM   #8
Sagnet
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
U can use the AE as long as it has a WAN port, then hookup its LAN port to the existing switch, so basically move the AE between the modem and the switch. U will need to go into the AE and do some configuration.
The Airport Express only has one ethernet port.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater