Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
I'd like to get opinions from you guys on which capacity iPad and iPhone you think would best fit my needs with respect to the activities I plan on using my iPad for. I don't own any mobile Apple devices so I'm not really familiar with how much capacity I might need.

Right now, I'm almost certain to go with 16GB iPhone 4S and 16GB iPad (3rd generation), but, like I mentioned above, I'd like your opinions.

For my iPad, I would plan on using it for:

- streaming movies daily (from websites that offer free movies)
- browsing the internet (Google, different forums, reading blogs)
- YouTube videos (streamed)
- few fun game applications (like Angry Birds, Piano, Garage Band)
- read news with apps like CNN, e-books
- Facebooking, Skype, Facetime

For my iPhone, I would plan on using it for:

- phone calls, texting, very brief internet browsing
- Pandora (non-downloaded music)
- Twitter, Instagram
- Siri
- applications for convenience (Google Maps, traffic applications)
- other misc. applications (checking stocks, weather, etc.)
- checking emails several times daily

I have an 80GB iPod classic, so music would *NOT* be stored on either device. Pictures and files would also be stored on my laptop at home or in a cloud program like DropBox. The only thing that I would maybe store on my iPad would be movies occasionally (but would be replaced daily instead of stored permanently) and pictures taken on my iPad. For my iPhone, the only things I would store on it would most likely only be pictures taken with the iPhone.

Given this information, would a 16GB iPhone 4S and a 16GB iPad 3G seem feasible for me? Or would you recommend me bumping up in size?

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
With no media, especially movie files, 16gb should be fine.

But don't forget the camera can generate large movie files. Also many apps now are quite large files. I had to go for a 64gb iPhone this year as 32gb was not enough (carry a lot of music). My ipad is 16gb and its generally fine, but I do have to occasionally delete apps to make way for new ones.

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
With no media, especially movie files, 16gb should be fine.

But don't forget the camera can generate large movie files. Also many apps now are quite large files. I had to go for a 64gb iPhone this year as 32gb was not enough (carry a lot of music). My ipad is 16gb and its generally fine, but I do have to occasionally delete apps to make way for new ones.

Thanks, domrevans.

Anyone else...? All opinions are welcome...

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
Are you going to travel with this iPad if you are then you are going to struggle to stream movies because not every where has a good connection and you would be better off putting on the space on your iPad if this is the case then you would better off putting film on to you iPad and then you wouldn't have to worry about data charges or signal and be able to watch your movies in peace

I'am not sure what data plan you have but streaming video does take up a fair bit of data.

i hope you don't think i was been mean here just thought i would give you some suggestions and a bigger outlook because i have iPad and when i out and about the last thing you want to be doing thinking i wish i had a good enough signal to stream media its a lot easier to keep it on your device and not have to worry about it at all.

I hope that some of my outlook as helped you to make a good decision
and that i hope you are happy with your purchase when you get it.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
16GB should be an overkill, lol. If you have crap loads of music or movies then get the 32GB. If you plan on a few casual games, those won't take to much space.

Streaming and reading on the web takes virtually NO space. I always browse in private mode so NO cookies or data is saved to my iPad.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I have the 16GB iPad and its not big enough. When I got the new one for my daughter I went for the 32GB. Apps are getting bigger and bigger and that's not going to change. We don't store any music or films on them (apart from a few short ones my daughter makes).
My iPhone is 32GB and has my iTunes library on it. I wouldn't go smaller with that either. It is nearly full.

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
16GB should be an overkill, lol. If you have crap loads of music or movies then get the 32GB. If you plan on a few casual games, those won't take to much space.

Streaming and reading on the web takes virtually NO space. I always browse in private mode so NO cookies or data is saved to my iPad.

You raise an excellent point. I will most likely be browsing the web in incognito mode to avoid picking up cookies - those will add up rather quickly.

As stated in my post, I have an 80GB iPod classic, so that would be my main source of music, I would store virtually no music on my iPhone or my iPad, but I would probably use my iPhone to listen to Pandora frequently.

I'm just afraid of not having enough space, but I think that I should be fine with 16GB for both devices (although I'm still considering 32GB for my iPad 3 since I plan on owning it for a very long time).

iPad would be used for watching downloaded movies (transferred from laptop daily), browsing the internet, YouTube, Facebook, Skype, Facetime, reading online newspapers, e-books and fun applications like Angry Bird

iPhone would be used for the obvious call, text, brief internet browsing (but not as frequent as iPad), Pandora, Twitter, Instagram, Siri, and several applications like maps, stocks, weather, and traffic, and then I would probably be checking emails on it constantly.

But since I will have virtually ZERO music stored on my iPad/iPhone and only temporarily stored movies on my iPad, I guess 16GB should be safe.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
You raise an excellent point. I will most likely be browsing the web in incognito mode to avoid picking up cookies - those will add up rather quickly.

As stated in my post, I have an 80GB iPod classic, so that would be my main source of music, I would store virtually no music on my iPhone or my iPad, but I would probably use my iPhone to listen to Pandora frequently.

I'm just afraid of not having enough space, but I think that I should be fine with 16GB for both devices (although I'm still considering 32GB for my iPad 3 since I plan on owning it for a very long time).

iPad would be used for watching downloaded movies (transferred from laptop daily), browsing the internet, YouTube, Facebook, Skype, Facetime, reading online newspapers, e-books and fun applications like Angry Bird

iPhone would be used for the obvious call, text, brief internet browsing (but not as frequent as iPad), Pandora, Twitter, Instagram, Siri, and several applications like maps, stocks, weather, and traffic, and then I would probably be checking emails on it constantly.

But since I will have virtually ZERO music stored on my iPad/iPhone and only temporarily stored movies on my iPad, I guess 16GB should be safe.

I bought an iPad 3 32GB because I thought the games and apps would be a lot larger due to the retina display and i've only used 3.5GB ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.