Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r3ac7

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
So long story short, throughout the last two school years I've done good, both in school and work, so my parents decided that I finally deserve a new computer(my old one is like 10 years old). I've wanted a mac since a long time, so I wanted to ask some questions before I buy it. The Mac will be used for school work(office), surfing the web, music and videos, some photo editing from time to time(nothing heavy).

First of all I want to say that I want to get the MacBook Air 13' 2012 i5 1.8GHz 128gb, but I'll probably upgrade the ram to 8gb, because 4gb is a bit low.

So, I'm in 11th grade, which means that I won't get the student discount, right?
I have a friend though who goes to college, is it possible that I could get the discount if she comes with me?

The MacBook Air that I want, here in Canada is $1199(with 4gb ram) and $1299(with 8gb ram). How much will it cost if I get the discount?

Since I want this computer to last at least 4 years I was wondering if this specific computer has some problems after some time of usage. What I mean is for example the MacBook white 2007 had a problem with the casing, or the MacBook Air 2008/2009 had a problem with that part around the display. Does the MacBook Air 2012 have anything like that that I have to worry about?

Can I get the ram upgraded to 8gb, without making an online purchase? I want to purchase it from the store. Is it possible?

That is all for now, sorry for my stupid questions(I know they are), but I've never purchased a Mac before, so I need some advice.

fubaracing7374

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2012
I have a friend though who goes to college, is it possible that I could get the discount if she comes with me?

YES THEY CAN.

The MacBook Air that I want, here in Canada is $1199(with 4gb ram) and $1299(with 8gb ram). How much will it cost if I get the discount?

GO TO THE APPLE STORE ONLINE AND LOOK FOR THE EDUCATION STORE, THEN SELECT YOUR FRIENDS SCHOOL.

Since I want this computer to last at least 4 years I was wondering if this specific computer has some problems after some time of usage. What I mean is for example the MacBook white 2007 had a problem with the casing, or the MacBook Air 2008/2009 had a problem with that part around the display. Does the MacBook Air 2012 have anything like that that I have to worry about?

NO REAL WAY TO TELL YET.

Can I get the ram upgraded to 8gb, without making an online purchase? I want to purchase it from the store. Is it possible?

IF ITS AVAILABLE ONLINE, THEN IT'S AVAILABLE IN STORE.

GOOD LUCK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.