Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:11 PM   #1
flameproof
macrumors 6502a

Wozniak: MS now more innovative then Apple

Why Woz Worries Microsoft Is Now More Innovative Than Apple:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/14/kee...an-apple-tctv/
flameproof is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:14 PM   #2
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

Good ol' Woz. Keep stirring the pot, baby!
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:36 PM   #3
VenusianSky
macrumors 65816

The real tech people are informed of who is doing what when it comes to innovation. Too many crap bloggers running their mouths like they are informed.

I've never heard of the voice translation stuff, but I've seen some of things that Microsoft are doing with Kinect that does not involve video games and it is definitely innovative.

I can relate to Woz. Just show me the new neat stuff. Who cares who made it.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:46 PM   #4
spork183
macrumors 6502a

Reality is that Microsoft has good ideas, AT THIS TIME. Can they keep it going and make progress? Remains to be seen. I'm not seeing the innovation from Apple right now. Microsoft is way ahead on touchscreen. Does Apple have a better jump coming? Who knows. If the future ends up being touch, yeah, Apple is way behind the curve.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:58 AM   #5
ElRojito
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork183 View Post
Reality is that Microsoft has good ideas, AT THIS TIME. Can they keep it going and make progress? Remains to be seen. I'm not seeing the innovation from Apple right now. Microsoft is way ahead on touchscreen. Does Apple have a better jump coming? Who knows. If the future ends up being touch, yeah, Apple is way behind the curve.
I wouldn't say they are ahead on touchscreen. I find MS touchscreen products to be terribly blah.

edit: I think that the big-wigs at apple will listen to Steve. His voice is heard much more than ours.
ElRojito is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:06 AM   #6
spork183
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElRojito View Post
I wouldn't say they are ahead on touchscreen. I find MS touchscreen products to be terribly blah.

edit: I think that the big-wigs at apple will listen to Steve. His voice is heard much more than ours.
You are right about touchscreen. If you take into account Apple's experience with the iphone/ipad families, they have a far better experiential base with Touch. I was locked in thinking of laptop/desktop, where Apple has been reluctant to venture.

What got me about the Woz blurb were the comments by the author about how SW was so comfortable in front of the camera, etc. Now I love Woz, but watching that video, the thought running through my head was not how comfortable he looked in front of the camera...
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:46 PM   #7
stockscalper
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork183 View Post
Reality is that Microsoft has good ideas, AT THIS TIME.
Name one.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:52 PM   #8
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Tiles.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:49 PM   #9
pedromartins
macrumors member

Woz was just a very talented engineer without vision, that's why his opinion about who innovates more, who is doing better and who's best are irrelevant.

He did great things +30 years ago and we respect him for that, that's it.

Next...
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:44 PM   #10
McGiord
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post
Woz was just a very talented engineer without vision, that's why his opinion about who innovates more, who is doing better and who's best are irrelevant.

He did great things +30 years ago and we respect him for that, that's it.

Next...
So...an engineer with lack of vision...why do you say that?
Making the Apple II a fully expandable machine means having no vision?
Who is the current 'great engineer with lack of vision'? I just wish we had many more like him nowadays...
McGiord is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:47 PM   #11
sviato
macrumors 68000

Wozniak is master troll
sviato is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:10 PM   #12
pedromartins
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGiord View Post
So...an engineer with lack of vision...why do you say that?
Making the Apple II a fully expandable machine means having no vision?
Who is the current 'great engineer with lack of vision'? I just wish we had many more like him nowadays...
There's great engineers at Microsoft and they have no vision (as far as great products go. proof? 95 until now. 0 innovation or something worth being called great).

AFAIK, Wozniak should work for them. Both live in 1980 (as far as vision goes.), that's why Woz lost relevance in Apple... That's why Microsoft lost relevance too, despite +80% share in desktops OS.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:11 PM   #13
McGiord
macrumors 68040

the presentation
http://www.tedxbrussels.eu/2012/speakers/steve_wozniak.php

Last edited by McGiord; Nov 18, 2012 at 03:40 PM.
McGiord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:22 PM   #14
Dolorian
macrumors 65816

Oh look Wozniak has an opinion on Apple!

Yawn...
Dolorian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:56 PM   #15
viewfly
macrumors 65816

No one listens to Wuz. He has no business sense. Jobs had the business acumen in what would sell and what was just neat.
viewfly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:00 AM   #16
76ShovelHead
macrumors 6502

Played around with Windows 8 for a week. Was convinced that it was great. Started using OS X again and forgot all about the Windows partition.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Acorn View Post
Magsafe was ripped off, other appliances used breakaway cables for years. Airplay is streaming, no innovation here. Airdrop is file sharing, not really innovative. Super thin chasis is more of a technological advancement than an innovative breakthrough, same with retina display.

Fusion drive is a caching technique which has been used previously in other forms. My laptop has a SSD caching drive, I am not sure what exactly fusion is going to "innovate" here.

So as you can see, Apple does less innovation and more marketing pre-existing ideas.

----------

To tell the truth, I hardly ever even see the start menu on Windows 8. If someone were watching my screen they would probably just think I was using Windows 7. The best feature IMO is the Windows + Q | Windows + W search features because I can quickly pull up device manager or some random program just by typing it and pressing enter.
So very true. Apple is astoundingly talented at marketing. Just look at their slogan for OS X, "The Worlds Most Advanced Desktop Operating System." When I was young, I was so convinced. Now, not so much. OS X is lightyears ahead of Windows in every category, but to say that it is the worlds most advanced desktop operating system is a little bit more than a stretch.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:23 AM   #17
RSL
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ShovelHead View Post
Just look at their slogan for OS X, "The Worlds Most Advanced Desktop Operating System." When I was young, I was so convinced. Now, not so much. OS X is lightyears ahead of Windows in every category, but to say that it is the worlds most advanced desktop operating system is a little bit more than a stretch.
Yeah "most advanced" is a pushing it. Still the best OS though.
RSL is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:38 AM   #18
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL View Post
Yeah "most advanced" is a pushing it. Still the best OS though.
Keyword is desktop.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 01:12 PM   #19
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewfly View Post
No one listens to Wuz. He has no business sense. Jobs had the business acumen in what would sell and what was just neat.
Which is why people listen to him, he doesn't care about your money he want's cool stuff…

Apple does ZERO blue sky research they just design cool enclosures for others creations..

I'd really like to see some advancing society research vs. making money research.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:40 PM   #20
iHailCarlo
macrumors 6502

I am sorry I know this guy is one of the founding fathers, but he will say anything at this point to get in the news. Does anyone really even listen to him? He is pretty much a nobody at this point.
iHailCarlo is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion