Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:58 PM   #1
imbm24
macrumors newbie

Mac Mini w-2MBP do I need server to back up

Hello,

I have a Mac Mini and 2 Mac Book Pro. Right now it seems that we can only connect one of the MBP at a time to be able to have Time Machine back up to the MyBook 3T drive attached to the Mac Mini. Is the only (or best) solution to purchase OS X Server on the Mac Mini so we can have both MBP connected at the same time. Is there another option. I don't have much money and am not into Linux or other stuff but I do want something fairly easy and trouble free.

All three computers are now running Mountain Lion. I also have the Mac Mini connect to my TV and use to to stream NetFlix or play movies stored on the MyBook. If I change it to OS X Server will I still be able to do that?

Last edited by imbm24; Nov 18, 2012 at 12:07 AM.
imbm24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:09 AM   #2
aarond12
macrumors 6502a

What's happening that leads you to believe you can only connect one of your laptops to the Mini at the same time? There should be no problem using standard file sharing to connect two laptops at the same time to the same file share. Can you describe how you have things configured? Do you connect to the Mini and connect to the external drive as a share?

If you have an Apple Airport base station with USB, you can get another external drive and connect it there, using that drive for Time Machine on multiple machines. (That's how I have my network set up.) I even have the movie drives attached to the Airport, via a USB hub. You might have problems with your 3TB drive connected to the Airport, though... and don't expect awesomely fast transfers, even over Ethernet.

If you don't have and Airport base station, consider a NAS box, such as the Western Digital MyBook Live. You can prep the NAS drives for Time Machine use if the NAS doesn't support it directly.

In short, you COULD put Mac OS X Server on the Mini, but I don't think that's completely necessary.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:02 PM   #3
imbm24
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarond12 View Post
What's happening that leads you to believe you can only connect one of your laptops to the Mini at the same time? There should be no problem using standard file sharing to connect two laptops at the same time to the same file share. Can you describe how you have things configured? Do you connect to the Mini and connect to the external drive as a share?]

When one person is already logged in and the other person trys to log in they get the message "Having problems logging in to Mac Mini"

[If you have an Apple Airport base station with USB, you can get another external drive and connect it there, using that drive for Time Machine on multiple machines. (That's how I have my network set up.) I even have the movie drives attached to the Airport, via a USB hub. You might have problems with your 3TB drive connected to the Airport, though... and don't expect awesomely fast transfers, even over Ethernet.]

I don't have an Apple Airport. I am using a Netgear router.

If you don't have and Airport base station, consider a NAS box, such as the Western Digital MyBook Live. You can prep the NAS drives for Time Machine use if the NAS doesn't support it directly.

I can't afford to purchase a NAS drive. That is why I am thinking about OS X Server which is only $19.

In short, you COULD put Mac OS X Server on the Mini, but I don't think that's completely necessary.
I am thinking about buying OS X Server since it has other features like being able to log in remotely when I am at somebodies house and what something off of my home computer.

I am still trying to find out if OS X Server will do what I want and how hard it will be to set up and get running. Also, after I get it running will it be seamless or will it be difficult for my wife to use?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:53 AM   #4
aarond12
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbm24 View Post
I am thinking about buying OS X Server since it has other features like being able to log in remotely when I am at somebodies house and what something off of my home computer.
I have SSH enabled on my Lion box running on my Hackintosh. From there, I can have access to all my files, tunnel to the box and use VNC, file sharing, etc. All without Server.

I still haven't figured out why you can't get two computers to access the same share. I can with regular Lion. Do you have the exact message you get when two computer attempt to access the same share?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:07 PM   #5
imbm24
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I still haven't figured out why you can't get two computers to access the same share. I can with regular Lion. Do you have the exact message you get when two computer attempt to access the same share?
Since I started with this, for some reason, everything has started to work like it is supposed to. We have been able to log on with both computers at the same time every day. I don't know what is different, it just started to work.

I am still thinking of getting the Server since it only cost $19.99 and it is supposed do all that I am currently doing along with several features without having to study up on technology.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:48 PM   #6
motorboating
macrumors newbie

While there's barely a better solution (unfortunately) for Time Machine and two Macs, I'd suggest Back to my Mac as a far easier solution than remote access via OS X Server.

The former is simple to set up; the latter less so.
motorboating is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:50 PM   #7
imbm24
macrumors newbie

My error message

Quote:
I have SSH enabled on my Lion box running on my Hackintosh. From there, I can have access to all my files, tunnel to the box and use VNC, file sharing, etc. All without Server.

Here is the error message I am getting. It has been working for the last few days. Today I started getting the error again. Today my Mac Mini is running and I have logged on via Screen Sharing but if I try to connect to allow back up or to transfer files I get this message:

"There was a problem connecting to the server "Mac mini".

The file server will not allow any additional users to log on. Try to connect again later."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-11-29 at 6.44.43 PM.png
Views:	15
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	380591  
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:16 AM   #8
Penn Jennings
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbm24 View Post
Hello,

I have a Mac Mini and 2 Mac Book Pro. Right now it seems that we can only connect one of the MBP at a time to be able to have Time Machine back up to the MyBook 3T drive attached to the Mac Mini. Is the only (or best) solution to purchase OS X Server on the Mac Mini so we can have both MBP connected at the same time. Is there another option. I don't have much money and am not into Linux or other stuff but I do want something fairly easy and trouble free.

All three computers are now running Mountain Lion. I also have the Mac Mini connect to my TV and use to to stream NetFlix or play movies stored on the MyBook. If I change it to OS X Server will I still be able to do that?
I have a 2012 Mac Mini with Server installed and a 3 TB USB 3.0 drive that is the iTunes server for 3 apple TVs and Time Machine Server for 2 other MBP and an iMac. I have had zero problems, even when multiple backups occur. I didn't try it before installing server. Server is only $20 though... I think.

I'm actually very happy with it, I can sustain over 70 MB/second backups over ethernet, which is faster than the 65 MB/second from directly attached FW800 drive.
Penn Jennings is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:22 AM   #9
imbm24
macrumors newbie

Thanks, I think that I have decided to buy Server as soon as pay day comes around.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking