Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:10 AM   #1
UpOver
macrumors member

Star Citizen (open-universe space sim) is moving into its last day of crowd funding!

For those who haven't heard the buzz, Chris Roberts (creator of games such as Wing Commander, Strike Commander, Privateer, Freelancer) is back in the games industry with a new project going by the name Star Citizen. It's ambitious and looks very exciting (imho), and CR has gone the crowd funding route to get things rolling no doubt hoping a lot of gamers will feel this way. To do date they do: Over USD4.5 million has been raised at time of writing.

Now the crowd funding campaign is entering its last day, so if you want to be a part of things get on over to the website and check it out!

The official site: www.robertsspaceindustries.com
The Kickstarter site: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...tizen?ref=live

Full disclosure: I've already pledged
UpOver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:25 AM   #2
UpOver
macrumors member

PS. More details on final stretch goals and other pertinent info here: http://www.robertsspaceindustries.co...name-a-system/
and here: http://www.robertsspaceindustries.co...-stretch-goal/
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:10 AM   #3
blesscheese
macrumors 6502

Thanks for posting! I just pledged...

This looks awesome, I love space sims, and have been playing on old copy of Terminus in Wineskin on my MBA. I have been meaning to get Freelancer up and running, or Privateer, but it looks like that won't be necessary!

Interestingly, over in the UK Kickstarter, David Braben is crowd-funding a new "Elite" game.
blesscheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:36 PM   #4
UpOver
macrumors member

Great to hear! It's good to have some fellow Star Citizens here at MR

I saw the Elite campaign, iirc it began a week or so ago (hmm, CR might have stirred a sleeping giant here...). It looks like they'll be focussing on the exploring side of things in particular - they're aiming for a *lot* of procedurally generated stars. Will be interesting to see what they're thinking as more details come together. I might be backing a few space games!

PS. SC campaign now at over USD4.8 million total with ~22 hours to go.. Live feeds to start from the main website before too long. Exciting times!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:49 AM   #5
UpOver
macrumors member

Just over 9 hours to go and the campaign's almost at USD5.5 million! Amazingly it looks like SC will surpass all stretch goals and the carrier will be a flyable ship on launch. Woohoo! SC is now (and was before now) the most successful game crowd-funding campaign to date, presuming I've got my facts right.

Also the live feed for the final stretch is active at robertsspaceindustries.com now
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:53 AM   #6
runebinder
macrumors 6502a

I pledged to this game Friday night, looks immense. Tried Eve online and was a bit disappointed that the flight was point and click, really want a space combat sim along the lines of X-Wing vs Tie Fighter and the Wing Commander, so Star Citizen looks very exciting, especially the Squadron 42 campaign.

iPhone 5s 32GB Space Grey iOS 7.1.1
runebinder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:20 AM   #7
blesscheese
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpOver View Post
Just over 9 hours to go and the campaign's almost at USD5.5 million! Amazingly it looks like SC will surpass all stretch goals and the carrier will be a flyable ship on launch. Woohoo! SC is now (and was before now) the most successful game crowd-funding campaign to date, presuming I've got my facts right.

Also the live feed for the final stretch is active at robertsspaceindustries.com now
Anyone with any interest at all in space-sims has been starved now for about a decade, even with re-playing older games, such as Freespace, Freelancer, etc.

And, it doesn't hurt that Chris Roberts is behind this! He's got quite a track record...

Interestingly, it looks like a lot of funding may be coming from Europe? I'm looking at the difference between their own website, and the Kickstarter site. Just thinking that it looks like (between the time differences between the US and Europe) there will always be something going on in the multiplayer game.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:26 PM   #8
AlyseM
macrumors member

Already a funder! It looks so good. I pledged 37$ so that I essentially made money off or rather saved it off of my investment as the game is going to be released at 60$ usd and I only technically paid 37.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:12 PM   #9
blesscheese
macrumors 6502

It is hard to tell, but it looks like (from a comment on the Kickstarter page) they met all their goals, and raised over $6 million dollars!

Wow! All we have to do now is wait.

Anybody want to get a game together in about, say, 9 months to a year (or so) from now?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:17 PM   #10
TedM
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by blesscheese View Post
It is hard to tell, but it looks like (from a comment on the Kickstarter page) they met all their goals, and raised over $6 million dollars!

Wow! All we have to do now is wait.

Anybody want to get a game together in about, say, 9 months to a year (or so) from now?
Yes random forum user. Lets make a game together!

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games