Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:49 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

AAPL Surging Following Extremely Positive Analyst Comments

Apple's stock price has surged nearly 6 percent today following extremely bullish comments from Topeka's Brian White. White feels that the recent drop off in Apple's stock price has little to do with the fundamentals of the company and that the stock is ready for significant growth.

Quote:
In our view, the sell off in Apple's stock over the past eight weeks has gotten to the point of being "insanely insane" given the depressed valuation (CY13 P/E of 7.6x ex-cash), new blockbuster products for the holiday season, the attractive long-term growth opportunities that lie ahead and the Company's ability to distribute significant cash flow to investors. Those investors that have missed Apple or have been under-weight the stock, now have another opportunity to buy Apple before sentiment takes a turn for the positive during what has historically been the strongest quarter of the year for the stock.
Apple's stock price broke through the $700 barrier for the first time back in September but had been on a significant slide since then.

Update: Apple ended the day up $38/share, or more than 7 percent, closing at $565.

Article Link: AAPL Surging Following Extremely Positive Analyst Comments
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:53 PM   #2
SuperMatt
macrumors 6502

In my opinion, many of these "analysts" should be investigated by the SEC. After Apple's earnings call, it was all doom-and-gloom. Now that it appears they've pushed the stock down as low as it will go, they're all "best stock EVAH!" again. They all dumped at $700, spread bad news, now they're reversing course. Bringing the stock back up should be a far easier task than crushing it for them, considering just how insanely great Apple's earnings continue to be.
SuperMatt is offline   40 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:54 PM   #3
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt View Post
In my opinion, many of these "analysts" should be investigated by the SEC. After Apple's earnings call, it was all doom-and-gloom. Now that it appears they've pushed the stock down as low as it will go, they're all "best stock EVAH!" again. They all dumped at $700, spread bad news, now they're reversing course. Bringing the stock back up should be a far easier task than crushing it for them, considering just how insanely great Apple's earnings continue to be.
It does seem to be an easy way to make money.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:06 PM   #4
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnchar View Post
It does seem to be an easy way to make money.
And would constitute a federal crime. All of these "manipulation" charges are total hooey by people without the first cluey.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:19 AM   #5
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt View Post
Happens all the time the big investment houses or market makers as they are called get their analysts and brokers to put out a lot of bad news to depress a stock. The small investors panic and start to dump their holding while the big boys wait for the price to get as low as they want before gradually increasing their holding. When the the time is right they then get the analysts and brokers to change to a positive spin and watch the profits roll in. This has always happened and always will. You have to look past the tom toms beating in the streat to figure out what is really going on.
everything-i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:49 AM   #6
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by everything-i View Post
Happens all the time the big investment houses or market makers as they are called get their analysts and brokers to put out a lot of bad news to depress a stock. The small investors panic and start to dump their holding while the big boys wait for the price to get as low as they want before gradually increasing their holding. When the the time is right they then get the analysts and brokers to change to a positive spin and watch the profits roll in. This has always happened and always will. You have to look past the tom toms beating in the streat to figure out what is really going on.
Only two problems with your analysis. First, what you describe is a federal crime. Second, "small investors" don't drive markets, the institutional investors do. So I'd say that you haven't figured out anything.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:15 PM   #7
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
Only two problems with your analysis. First, what you describe is a federal crime. Second, "small investors" don't drive markets, the institutional investors do. So I'd say that you haven't figured out anything.
You seem to have misunderstood my point, the large institutions are driving this but rely on scaring up the small investors to help lower the stock prices. This normally goes as follows, large investors dump their stock at current high price and then the analysts start to put out some FUD. The small investors panic because the price has fallen already because the big inverters have dumped stock. This causes the price to fall even further and when it reaches the price the big investors want they start to buy in and the price starts to rise again, then the analysts suddenly start to put a positive spin on the stock and it goes up even more as the small inverters start to buy in again. Analysts putting out negative analysis is perfectly legal because they always say its only their opinion of some fact or other. Maybe you should actually read what I wrote more carefully before coming out with insulting comments, I used to work for large institutional investment houses and know exactly how this works. I think its you that doesn't understand.
everything-i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:20 PM   #8
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
You seem to have misunderstood my point, the large institutions are driving this but rely on scaring up the small investors to help lower the stock prices. This normally goes as follows, large investors dump their stock at current high price and then the analysts start to put out some FUD. The small investors panic because the price has fallen already because the big inverters have dumped stock. This causes the price to fall even further and when it reaches the price the big investors want they start to buy in and the price starts to rise again, then the analysts suddenly start to put a positive spin on the stock and it goes up even more as the small inverters start to buy in again. Analysts putting out negative analysis is perfectly legal because they always say its only their opinion of some fact or other. Maybe you should actually read what I wrote more carefully before coming out with insulting comments, I used to work for large institutional investment houses and know exactly how this works. I think its you that doesn't understand.
Actually, he is very knowledgeable in this sort of thing and has been over the many years I have been a part of this forum
dukebound85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:27 PM   #9
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
No, I didn't misunderstand what you said. You described a process where analysts collude to invent bad news for a stock and sell on that news and then presumably invent some good news and buy. That would be a clear and apparent federal crime if it actually happened, which presumably you know if you'd worked for an investment company. What's more "panicking" small investors wouldn't have much impact anyway, since small investors make up such a relatively small part of the market. So I totally understand. What you describe is illegal.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
Actually, he is very knowledgeable in this sort of thing and has been over the many years I have been a part of this forum
What he describes is illegal, very clearly. Anyone caught doing what he describes would go to jail.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:53 PM   #10
1080p
macrumors 68000

I remember when I bought stock at $16 a share. Best decision I ever made. </DREAM>
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:55 PM   #11
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
I remember when I bought stock at $16 a share. Best decision I ever made. </DREAM>
I missed the $16 price point, but got in at $20 (true).
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:09 PM   #12
Hakone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
I missed the $16 price point, but got in at $20 (true).
I hate you....respectfully.
Hakone is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:10 PM   #13
ECUpirate44
Banned

"Apple will do well in the coming months."

Am I doing it right?
ECUpirate44 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:12 PM   #14
Limboistik
macrumors regular

I hate how I bought in before the heavily manipulated stock prices :/

Still holding on to $664.
Limboistik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:17 PM   #15
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakone View Post
I hate you....respectfully.
Point taken (in context)
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:20 PM   #16
Patriot24
macrumors 68020

Phew. I'm glad. I was really getting worried $500 billion market cap wasn't going to be enough to keep the doors open through 2013.
Patriot24 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:56 PM   #17
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Well, if that's all it takes to add 31 dollars to the price, he should just call 4-5 more buddies to also post some "very positive comments" to run it right back to $700... or maybe 7-8 buddies could write some positive things to run it to $800.

Better yet, why not just deem the Apple faithful on this site as "analysts" and the stock price could run to the moon.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:53 PM   #18
Iconoclysm
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
Well, if that's all it takes to add 31 dollars to the price, he should just call 4-5 more buddies to also post some "very positive comments" to run it right back to $700... or maybe 7-8 buddies could write some positive things to run it to $800.

Better yet, why not just deem the Apple faithful on this site as "analysts" and the stock price could run to the moon.
No need, once it starts moving like this the momentum will carry it more than anything anyone can say.
Iconoclysm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:57 PM   #19
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
Quote:
I remember thinking about buying at $16 a share. The G5 had just come out, and I thought it would turn things around for Apple ("this platform has legs!"). Turns out a little device called the iPod was actually responsible for turning the company around.

In the end, I didn't buy it because I just didn't have enough confidence in the Mac as a platform. C'est la vie.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:52 PM   #20
Macboy74
macrumors newbie

Quote:
You're lucky I got it at $74.
Macboy74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:14 PM   #21
jlasoon
macrumors 6502

Got to love Keynesian economics. QE1+QE2+QEinfinity+OperationTwist+OperationTwsit2+BankBailout+GMChryslerBailout+Tarp+Cash4Clunkers=A slightly better than expected day on Wall Street.

This economy is past the point of no return. We crumble without centralized pumping. Do yourself a favor, don't play against the machines.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:25 PM   #22
weespeed
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macboy74 View Post
You're lucky I got it at $74.
My mother got in at $7.

But sold at $70. 10 times her initial investment is great, but when it hit $700, 100 times the initial investment would have been ..WOW.

Oh, well.
weespeed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:26 PM   #23
lazyrighteye
macrumors 65816

My $0.02?
Let. It. Ride.
But I've always looked at stock as a long term investment. Stocks go up, stocks go down. From what I can tell, Apple seems much more poised to pay off than others.

Example (correct me if I'm wrong, selective memory is not out of the question): I can't recall Apple ever having as many refreshed products "available" for Holiday than at any point in it's history. Nearly the entire product line has been refreshed. Highly unusual. It was not at all uncommon that Apple would hold back major product announcements/refreshes in favor of (say) January's MWSF... Completely missing the largest retail season of the year - a product cycle philosophy I never understood. This appears at least one thing Tim looks to change. Which makes a lot of sense/cents.
lazyrighteye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:38 PM   #24
jlasoon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyrighteye View Post
I can't recall Apple ever having as many refreshed products "available" for Holiday than at any point in it's history. Nearly the entire product line has been refreshed. Highly unusual. It was not at all uncommon that Apple would hold back major product announcements/refreshes in favor of (say) January's MWSF...
It's called throwing the kitchen sink--before 2013 problems. We have some significant and frightening issues with this economy. And I don't expect many here to even begin to understand the basics of those underlying fundamentals. Remember, we have 2 options going forward; debasement of the currency or austerity.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:42 PM   #25
Mactagonist
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I remember when I decided not to buy it at $85/share thinking it was overpriced. :-) Cant win them all! I am glad I own the AAPL that I do despite getting in significantly higher then that.
Mactagonist is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion