Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:26 PM   #1
ghboard2010
macrumors member

A network question. . . (or two)

Whatever in the world happened to 'Jumbo Frames' and what good or bad were they?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:16 AM   #2
Les Kern
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghboard2010 View Post
Whatever in the world happened to 'Jumbo Frames' and what good or bad were they?
You know, in a perfect world that technology would be great, but in the real world with our blistering low-bandwidth, half-assed internet infrastructure not so much. And imagine the config issues both internally and externally. Nah. (I am assuming you're talking about network technology right? And not The Jumbo Frames , the pro wrestling twins from the 60's?)
Les Kern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:46 PM   #3
assembled
macrumors regular

Jumbo Frames are only usable in a LAN environment where all nodes (including switches) support them.

As the frame is larger than normal, although you have the same amount of overhead per frame, because there is more payload per frame, your total overhead goes down compared to the same amount of data transferred with 1500 byte frames.
assembled is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:46 PM   #4
Ap0ks
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghboard2010 View Post
They're used extensively in storage networks and quite possibly a lot of backhaul connections utilise them. As assembled pointed out both ends of the connection have to support the increased frame size which makes them less appealing to general LAN networks and home internet connections.
Ap0ks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:16 AM   #5
ghboard2010
macrumors member

Ok I understand. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ap0ks View Post
They're used extensively in storage networks and quite possibly a lot of backhaul connections utilise them. As assembled pointed out both ends of the connection have to support the increased frame size which makes them less appealing to general LAN networks and home internet connections.
Too bad; I've got a 2006 Mac Mini Core Duo which support(ed) Jumbos, or at least my memory leads to think this is the case.

I did however notice the wife's iMac{April 2008} shows this:
Marvell Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8055 Singleport Copper SA:
in the the system profile.

I think that old Mac Mini of mine had the same chip IIRC. I seem to recall Mac OSX dropped the Jumbos in 10.5 Leopard{again IIRC}. Also my iMac(Late 2009) uses a Broadcom chip which I understand also does not support Jumbos. So it looks like both hardware and software have evolved on the client-side to not use Jumbos. Oh well. . .

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking