Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:41 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Google to Take on Apple with Open AirPlay Alternative

GigaOM reports that Google wants to take on Apple with an open AirPlay alternative.
Quote:
YouTube recently launched AirPlay-like video beaming for Google TV and Android devices, but Google plans to take the technology much further. The company is working on an alternative to AirPlay, which it wants to bring to third-party devices and services - a clear shot at Apple.
Google's new protocol would also supplant the existing DLNA standard which offers similar functionality.

AirPlay from Apple allows Mac and iOS devices to easily stream audio, video and screen content to your Apple TV.

Google's system would reportedly be similar, and also allow data to flow in both directions, allowing full "second-screen experiences" that could relay information back to your phone or tablet. Google recently launched the first version of the service aimed at Android devices, Google TV and YouTube. Their plans are to expand their technology to other apps.

Article Link: Google to Take on Apple with Open AirPlay Alternative
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:44 AM   #2
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

As long as everything is compatible with everything else, I'm cool.

But when we get devises that only work with Apple or only work with Google ...ect..

Then I ignore them as junk
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:48 AM   #3
BlueParadox
macrumors regular

As long as I can watch TANGLED without a problem then count me in.

But seriously, how about a better desktop mirroring app to get around Apple's restrictions within 10.8 of mid-last Macs and onwards. Third party app 'Parrot' ain't so good.
BlueParadox is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:15 AM   #4
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueParadox View Post

But seriously, how about a better desktop mirroring app to get around Apple's restrictions within 10.8 of mid-last Macs and onwards. Third party app 'Parrot' ain't so good.
The reason Parrot ain't so good is because it relies on software-based encoding. AirPlay officially uses hardware-based encoding, and thus is limited to Macs with a H.264 encoder built in to their GPUs. Any streaming solution for older Macs would have the same limitation as Parrot.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:28 AM   #5
mentaluproar
macrumors 65816

Quote:
It is impossible to do that efficiently in software. The new hardware has been built to handle this task. It's a matter of work smarter, not harder. Stop whining.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:53 AM   #6
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Those restrictions are actually Intel's and the content providers. But don't let that stop you from blaming Apple for everything.
Kaibelf is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:29 AM   #7
irnchriz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

You do know that this is a hardware feature and not an Apple limitation, that is why Airparrot is crap unless you have a kick ass spec mac
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:07 PM   #8
toke lahti
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Or even better than mirroring, how about TV as second screen?
TV exists because there are no app that could add any DLNA device as second screen to your mac.
If there would be an app like that, no mac owner with any modern tv or stb would need TV...
5matteScreen&higherRez 13" 6lightport 7another fw(through ec ok)
8 10G-ethernet 9 xMac:desktopCPU+GPU,free pci-e,2 int. hdd
toke lahti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:19 AM   #9
tctony
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post

But when we get devises that only work with Apple or only work with Google ...ect..

Uhhhhhhh............

"no hot no sweat screen no heavy" - iphonetoday
tctony is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:22 AM   #10
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Looks like the copy machines aren't just running in Redmond these days.
iMikeT is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:08 AM   #11
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
Don't make yourself look so pathetic.

Also, FYI AirPlay is nothing special, it's just a streaming system these things have been around for years.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSkunk View Post
AirPlay is pretty limited. No matter where I go I can't seem to find a suitable arrangement to actually use it.

Glad to see Google pushing forward toward full functionality in this area. Get on it Apple.

Driving Apple forward is the primary good that comes of Google being in the iPhone biz.
If recent history is anything to go by, Apple will NOT open up AirPlay, or support Googles new (and better) platform....ever.
rmwebs is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:49 AM   #12
smulji
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
Don't make yourself look so pathetic.

Also, FYI AirPlay is nothing special, it's just a streaming system these things have been around for years.

----------

If recent history is anything to go by, Apple will NOT open up AirPlay, or support Googles new (and better) platform....ever.
They should. Communication protocols used in implementations like AirPlay, AirPrint, FaceTime, Skype, should be opened up or open-sourced. Interoperability benefits all users instead of being locked in. It's the right thing to do. And it doesn't hinder any company's ability to make profits.

Imagine of TCP/IP was kept proprietary, we probably wouldn't have the internet we know it today.
smulji is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:54 AM   #13
ArchAndroid
macrumors member

Quote:
Google aren't copying Apple, they're bettering them. Look at the requirements for Apple's Airplay:

Apple iOS Device + Apple TV (One-to-One)

Google requirements look like being:

Android Device/Google TV/iOS Devices? + any HDMI-enabled display (Many-to-Many).

With Apple's implementation, if I were at a friend's house wanting to stream something to their TV, as well as having my phone, I would need them to have an Apple TV.

Google's iteration just requires a phone and a HDMI screen, much simpler.
ArchAndroid is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:30 AM   #14
SanderEvers
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAndroid View Post
Google aren't copying Apple, they're bettering them. Look at the requirements for Apple's Airplay:

Android Device/Google TV/iOS Devices? + any HDMI-enabled display (Many-to-Many).

With Apple's implementation, if I were at a friend's house wanting to stream something to their TV, as well as having my phone, I would need them to have an Apple TV.

You KNOW you can actually use one of these:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...apter?fnode=45
or
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...apter?fnode=45
SanderEvers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:09 AM   #15
jaw04005
macrumors 601

It's hard to tell from this article (surprise, surprise). But it's my understanding all Android 4.2 is doing is supporting the Miracast standard.

Google isn't pushing anything. They're supporting an open standard at the OS level that's evolving into an AirPlay competitor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracast

Miracast devices are pretty much non existent now. All current TVs would require a dongle or set top box to support the feature.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by haravikk View Post
Apple really ought to open-source AirPlay; they've had their period of exclusivity, but anything that encourages wider adoption, which open-sourcing should do, can only benefit the consumer and give iOS devices more things that they can just go ahead and work with.
I don't think they can open source (if they even wanted to) because AirPlay includes DRM required for iTunes content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haravikk View Post
I really don't want to see two new competing wireless technologies for something that is supposed to be effortless; I've had my years of headaches with networking, I don't need yet another technology with constant compatibility issues.
If the article is referring to Miracast (like I believe), they're actually much different protocols. Miracast would be a competitor to the rumored AirPlay Direct (that would use Wi-fi Direct instead of your router).
jaw04005 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:33 PM   #16
ethernet76
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAndroid View Post

I don't know very many people who would allow you to plug an hdmi cable in their tv.

I wouldn't let someone dig through my setup. There is pretty much nothing on your phone that I need to see on a big screen.

There are exceptions, but 99.9% of the time I'll be fine watching it on the phone.
ethernet76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:08 AM   #17
Bezetos
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
*Sigh* This copying bollocks again. Apple weren't the first ones to come up with such technology you know...
Bezetos is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:53 AM   #18
Mactendo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Google copied those.
Mactendo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:04 PM   #19
MacAddict1978
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
No... they run in Cupertino too.

Apple didn't create this technology or idea....

The Sling Box was probably the first mainstream product to deliver on this technology. Albeit a bit different... like watching your content on your home box in another country.... and Slingbox didn't have handheld devices to pair up with like phones and tablets, but the concept is the same.

Honestly, AirPlay is botched in many ways too. I remember the first time I used it on the iPhone 4. A 60 second video I shot on the phone took 5 minutes to load on the apple tv.... why? Well, it had to go through the router and beam back... the apple tv had to buffer.... it was painful. Music and pictures were good, video awful.... and yet a 10 year old device did that better years ago.
MacAddict1978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:01 AM   #20
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

AirPlay is pretty limited. No matter where I go I can't seem to find a suitable arrangement to actually use it.

Glad to see Google pushing forward toward full functionality in this area. Get on it Apple.

Driving Apple forward is the primary good that comes of Google being in the iPhone biz.
ThunderSkunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:20 AM   #21
Ed91
macrumors 6502

Do I love Airplay? Yes. Do I want to be able to use such technology with devices other than Apple's? Yes. Will Android OEMs that also make Smart TVs include AirPlay over Google's solution? Probably not.

This is a war Apple can't win without opening up.
Ed91 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:12 PM   #22
Fandongo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post

Universal integration was the great prophecy driving computers.
It wasn't what the computer was, it was what the computer can and will be.

I ignored the inherent flaw, which has been feverishly and blatantly (of recent) embraced.. That all people--up to and including corporations--are terrible.

Just waiting for the day of the Free Chromebook.
In which case they can take on a new slogan...
In the words Dave Chapel: Gotcha, bitch!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:47 AM   #23
landroverz7
macrumors newbie

Google first update your youtube app and make it a universal app with support for iPhone 5 widescreen and ipad retina screens also fix the airplay and add background audio. After that you can think about your google devices.
landroverz7 is offline   30 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:51 AM   #24
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by landroverz7 View Post
Google first update your youtube app and make it a universal app with support for iPhone 5 widescreen and ipad retina screens also fix the airplay and add background audio. After that you can think about your google devices.
I deleted the Google YouTube app because:

1) No support for iPhone 5;
2) confusing UI;
3) when you enter any www.youtube.com video URL in Safari it directs you to the app;
4) there is an awesome app called Jasmine.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:56 AM   #25
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
2) when you enter any www.youtube.com video URL in Safari it directs you to the app
I'm on iOS 5, but here's what I do: Settings > General > Restrictions > Youtube OFF

And that is how you get rid of the Youtube app and any redirections to the app. At least, on iOS 5 and below...
Pakaku is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion