Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:31 AM   #1
pittster
macrumors regular

was Apple Genius correct? iphone 5 water sensors

Ok, so first off here's what happened... I dropped the phone in water for 1 second, dried it off, into rice for 24 hrs... still wasn't working properly.

checked the SIM tray water indicator, and only about 1/8th of the disc at the most had turned pink, it was very subtle.

made myself a Genius appointment at the Apple Store. Was straight up honest and told him I'd dropped it in water.

He took it out back, said he had checked inside and that - quote "all of the sensors have been activated/turned pink". He then went on to say there were a further 3 indicators inside the phone in addition to the SIM tray one.

I always thought there was only one indicator just inside the SIM tray area, I didn't see any others on the iFixit breakdown pics.

I was wondering that if I'd had said nothing about water damage, I wonder whether he would looked at the SIM tray indicator, seen virtually an entirely white disc, thought there was nothing wrong and replaced it for free instead of the 179 I had to pay.

Not complaining by the way... it's my fault, I dropped it in water. I'm wondering whether honesty doesn't always pay

is there more than one water indicator in the iPhone 5?
pittster is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:02 AM   #2
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittster View Post
Ok, so first off here's what happened... I dropped the phone in water for 1 second, dried it off, into rice for 24 hrs... still wasn't working properly.

checked the SIM tray water indicator, and only about 1/8th of the disc at the most had turned pink, it was very subtle.

made myself a Genius appointment at the Apple Store. Was straight up honest and told him I'd dropped it in water.

He took it out back, said he had checked inside and that - quote "all of the sensors have been activated/turned pink". He then went on to say there were a further 3 indicators inside the phone in addition to the SIM tray one.

I always thought there was only one indicator just inside the SIM tray area, I didn't see any others on the iFixit breakdown pics.

I was wondering that if I'd had said nothing about water damage, I wonder whether he would looked at the SIM tray indicator, seen virtually an entirely white disc, thought there was nothing wrong and replaced it for free instead of the 179 I had to pay.

Not complaining by the way... it's my fault, I dropped it in water. I'm wondering whether honesty doesn't always pay

Here is a good tip next time something happens which prompts you to visit the Genius Bar: act dumb, say as little as possible, look sad. I was told last week by friends who work at this 'bar' that they cannot open up iPhone 5 s yet, as they are waiting on the tools and parts to do so. I think there is a strong possibility they made up the other sensor information. If they can't open up the device, they cannot see them. It's not like the other iPhone models where you can see several sensors just by looking closely. Then again, you were honest that you dropped it, so at, least your 'karma' is all good....regarding this. Just for the record I don't believe in karma.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:08 AM   #3
pittster
macrumors regular

hmm, stuff karma !! lol

just hate the thought I'd been taken for a mug by the 'Genius'.... I bet if I'd have said nothing about water then I would be 179 better off
pittster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:50 AM   #4
G-Mo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
I was told last week by friends who work at this 'bar' that they cannot open up iPhone 5 s yet, as they are waiting on the tools and parts to do so.
If you can open an iPhone 4/4S and an iPhone 3/3GS you have the "tools" to open an iPhone 5.
G-Mo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:38 AM   #5
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mo View Post
If you can open an iPhone 4/4S and an iPhone 3/3GS you have the "tools" to open an iPhone 5.
I should have stated it more clearly: "they are not yet authorized to do this", but yes, they have the tools - a screwdriver and a suction cup opener!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:52 AM   #6
cfcboy
macrumors regular

I dropped mine in the karzee, took it apart and the top internal indicator was bright red though the visible indiactor was white. Took it into Genius was completly honest (though toilet became sink) and they took the phone to the back. Was expecting to get hit with the repair/replacement bill especially as they would have seen I took it apart. To my shock horror the lady came back and said I was very lucky and the none of the water indicators had gone off (even though i could see from taking aprt it had!). Within 10 mins of walking into the store I was walking out with a brand new IP5.

So id say two things... try to be as honest as you can and secondly... try and get a women genius!
cfcboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:01 AM   #7
cfcboy
macrumors regular

I love the way how posts like this get completly ruined by the same old goody two shoes trolls... give the guy a break for christ sake, he only wants help.

Pittser, see below for one of the internal indicators, its the red tab in top right. the other is by the battery on lower right but had trouble finding it when i had my IP5 apart.
Attached Images

cfcboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:31 AM   #8
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Here is a good tip next time something happens which prompts you to visit the Genius Bar: act dumb, say as little as possible, look sad. I was told last week by friends who work at this 'bar' that they cannot open up iPhone 5 s yet, as they are waiting on the tools and parts to do so. I think there is a strong possibility they made up the other sensor information. If they can't open up the device, they cannot see them. It's not like the other iPhone models where you can see several sensors just by looking closely. Then again, you were honest that you dropped it, so at, least your 'karma' is all good....regarding this. Just for the record I don't believe in karma.
That's cool, lying and willingness to commit fraud are excellent substitutes.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:52 AM   #9
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
That's cool, lying and willingness to commit fraud are excellent substitutes.
Save the moral sentencing for someone who cares. Got anything worth saying to the OP or are you here to judge?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:08 AM   #10
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Save the moral sentencing for someone who cares. Got anything worth saying to the OP or are you here to judge?
"Oh you were honest and received excellent customer service? Why don't you try lying next time?"

This is the worthwhile advice you were giving?
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:25 AM   #11
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

At the rate you guys are messing up these iPhones the supply will never catch up with the demand lmao
tymaster50 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:47 AM   #12
pittster
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
At the rate you guys are messing up these iPhones the supply will never catch up with the demand lmao
I know, but in my defence I've always been super careful with all my phones and I've had them all since the first gen iPhone.... guess the law of averages states I was eventually going to drop it... just a shame it was in water
pittster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:55 AM   #13
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

what were you doing that you dropped it in water???
tymaster50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:59 AM   #14
pittster
macrumors regular

putting my daughters hand in a bowl of cold water, she'd just burnt it on the oven top
pittster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:21 AM   #15
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

and you had your phone in your hand at the same time?
tymaster50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:07 AM   #16
LoloBond
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Regarding the genius bar, I think it all depends which store you go to... I had a problem with my 7 days old iPhone I went to store #1 and they told me they could not exchange my phone at all, they told me I had to go trough the bar and get a refurb. I got to store #2, I expressed my desire of exchanging the phone and they didn't even let me explain the problem and told me, what would you like to exchange it for? never going back to store #1 again.
LoloBond is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:29 AM   #17
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
The iPhone 4/4S had two more indicators inside, one of which served a dual purpose because it was over a screw that would have to be removed if, say, someone replaced their display.

So it seems likely that there are at least a couple more inside.

As for the poster asking all the questions, I wouldn't get upset. I think it's just youthful curiosity. Check the profile: teenager from New Jersey. So you get a kid's view, plus they're from a region famous for being nosy and giving loud opinions
kdarling is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:23 AM   #18
Charadis
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Sorry for the loss, OP. I don't believe this was fully answered, but yes, the genius was correct. There are two additional internal LCIs; one near the power/sleep button, and another near the speaker.
Charadis is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone