Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:39 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Nokia Launches Free Mapping Alternative for iOS: 'HERE Maps'

Last week, Nokia announced that they would be launching extending its mapping service to iOS with a new free app. Nokia's new HERE Maps app for iOS launched last night, promising offline mode, transit and walking directions:
Quote:
HERE Maps helps you feel like a local anywhere you go. See where you are, search and discover nearby places, and get a feel for the place. Collect places to remember or for later discovery. Explore new destinations and know instantly how to get there on foot, by car or on public transport. HERE Maps is based on the world-class NAVTEQ mapping data used in 90% of in-car navigation systems in the world.
Features include:

o Map views - Pick the map you need from map view, live traffic view, public transport line view or satellite view
o Save map areas & wander without data coverage
o Maps, search and place coverage for nearly 200 countries
o Step-by-Step voice-guided walk navigation
o Walk navigation through pedestrian routes, parks, alleyways, and more
o Public transportation and driving directions

The Verge spent some time with the new app, and came away with mixed impressions.
Quote:
Obviously this is Nokia's first stab at an iOS client for its new mapping service, and in many ways it's more functional than Apple's native Maps client, but for now, many of the additional features don't work as well as they ought to.
Nokia's iOS map launch is significant due to the issues many users have had with Apple's Map application that ships with iOS 6. Apple's solution has drawn considerable criticism due to incomplete data and poor coverage in many areas.

Nokai's HERE Maps is available as a free download from the App Store [iTunes link].

Article Link: Nokia Launches Free Mapping Alternative for iOS: 'HERE Maps'
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:40 AM   #2
Fuzzi
macrumors member

It lacks one of the most important features: a compass.
Fuzzi is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:41 AM   #3
TimUSCA
macrumors 6502

This is just a wrapper over a web app. It's slow and text isn't very easy to read.

Personally, I'm fine with Apple Maps. But if someone is going to come out with an actual good mapping solution, it's Google.
TimUSCA is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:39 PM   #4
KdParker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post
This is just a wrapper over a web app. It's slow and text isn't very easy to read.

Personally, I'm fine with Apple Maps. But if someone is going to come out with an actual good mapping solution, it's Google.
by the time that happens Apple maps will be fine for most of the users.
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:46 PM   #5
burtba
macrumors member

This is great for Apple. This makes Apple Maps look incredible. There is a MUCH bigger gap between this and Apple Maps than between Apple Maps and Google Maps.
burtba is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:20 PM   #6
richnyc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

It's slow over 3G, I had it for a week and uninstalled it from my iPhone. Still have it on my iPad though.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:41 AM   #7
BanterClaus
macrumors regular

The detail where I am (Northern England, UK) is absolutely terrible. Incorrect place names and very poor quality imagery.
BanterClaus is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:42 AM   #8
UmbraDiaboli
macrumors member

At first glance looks a billion times better than Apple Maps...

(Still can't get over the Apple Maps disaster)...
UmbraDiaboli is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:00 AM   #9
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmbraDiaboli View Post
At first glance looks a billion times better than Apple Maps...

(Still can't get over the Apple Maps disaster)...
You're not alone, I've been a very loyal Apple customer since 1991. I am simply shocked at the stupid decision Apple has made. Shocked, but not surprised.

If there's one thing this proves (again), is that Apple thinks so highly of themselves, they honestly believe they can do anything and everything better than any other company on the planet.

The _World_ uses Google Maps... why reinvent the wheel?

What a total waste of time & resources. All in the name of vanity & ego.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:24 AM   #10
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
You're not alone, I've been a very loyal Apple customer since 1991. I am simply shocked at the stupid decision Apple has made. Shocked, but not surprised.

If there's one thing this proves (again), is that Apple thinks so highly of themselves, they honestly believe they can do anything and everything better than any other company on the planet.

The _World_ uses Google Maps... why reinvent the wheel?

What a total waste of time & resources. All in the name of vanity & ego.
Apple wanted turn by turn directions and Google wouldn't give it to them (exclusive to Android). Apple had to release a map app to compete.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeans89 View Post
Nokia Maps are slightly better than Apple Maps, but worse than Google Maps. So hurry up Google!
Based on the comments I have read, it seems like people in the US are generally happy with Apple maps while people outside of the US (especially the UK) dislike Apple maps.
Plutonius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:17 PM   #11
PhoneandPad
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzi View Post
It lacks one of the most important features: a compass.
Ironic that this app has a distinctive 'compass' icon!

I suspect Apple wants to hold the keys on compass integration like a dog in a manger. Can anyone confirm?
PhoneandPad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:50 PM   #12
Plutonius
macrumors 601

A good article on the technology behind the Apple map app is here. I wasn't aware that the Apple map app will somewhat work offline (not connected). Note - The vector mapping that Apple uses takes up much less storage. The Apple map app will only work offline if you first examine the route you are taking or look at the area of interest in the Apple map app while connected. You need to be zoomed into the detail you want to see while looking at the map and you want to look at the entire route. The non-vectored map apps will also store map data but are much more limited on range.

I tried it on a 150 mile route (it took a little while to look at the entire route ) but all the detail is there when I'm offline.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:41 AM   #13
ECUpirate44
Banned

Meh, Apple Maps works for me, though I do miss street view. Flyover is more of a gimmick than anything.
ECUpirate44 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:43 AM   #14
zorinlynx
macrumors 68020

Maps are blurry. Almost as if they're images always being displayed "zoomed in".

Geez, you'd think Nokia could do better. This is just sad.
zorinlynx is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:11 AM   #15
Stella
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
Maps are blurry. Almost as if they're images always being displayed "zoomed in".

Depends on your location I suppose, Google, Apple also have the same issues - quality of the satellite imaginary.

I like Here overall, small, fast to start up. Off line maps aren't really offline as per Navigon et al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixteen12 View Post
This app is poor in quality. Lacking a lot of information, most POIs are wrong, the interface is ugly. It makes Apple maps seem like the epitome of mapping solutions.
Example of lacking information, incorrect POI?

---
Overall, Google maps was far better.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:51 AM   #16
johngordon
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I agree - this is really disappointing too. Looks like raster mapping, and not even close to Apple's vector engine in terms of look and feel. Plus it doesn't really do any better than one of Apple's Maps biggest fails - the colour coding of roads. In the UK it should be blue for motorways, green for Primary A roads, and red for non Primary A roads. Here gives us pink for motorways, and an almost indistinguishable slightly lighter pink for all A roads. Cartographically this is basic stuff to be getting wrong.
johngordon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:00 AM   #17
rorschach
macrumors 68000

Really awful. It's showing me POIs in my neighborhood that have been closed for 10 years and not showing ones that should be there. Maps are blurry, the interface is very sluggish

Apple and Google Maps are both far better.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:03 PM   #18
0dev
macrumors 68040

Quote:

Obviously they just rushed it out after Apple Maps started hitting the news for not being so great. And it shows, because it's just as bad.
0dev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:09 PM   #19
VulchR
macrumors 68000

The privacy policy is a little weird - they don't sell your information but can engage in 'joint marketing'. Also all bets regarding privacy are off if Nokia are merged, reorganized or acquired.

Anyways, where I am the maps are already showing errors (most importantly, the local health centre is shown where it was years ago, but it has moved since. Also, my street is depicted as going through a row of houses). I think HERE is just as inaccurate as iOS maps.....
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:54 AM   #20
pink thing
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUpirate44 View Post
Meh, Apple Maps works for me, though I do miss street view. Flyover is more of a gimmick than anything.
This is the key for me. No one's going to come up with a street view service anytime soon. The sooner Google get an iOS app approved the better..
pink thing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:42 AM   #21
PDFierro
macrumors 68030

Yay! It looks like a great app. Should definitely be a good solution for people like me who need transit directions. I always liked Nokia Transport and maps on Windows Phone.
PDFierro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:43 AM   #22
Allenbf
macrumors 6502

If anything it should prove that Google's own app will be approved by Apple.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:50 AM   #23
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenbf View Post
Google were just complaining about nothing to draw attention from not being ready. Apple obviously never made any suggestions to the effect that mapping applications would now be refused.
everything-i is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:02 AM   #24
Allenbf
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by everything-i View Post
Google were just complaining about nothing to draw attention from not being ready. Apple obviously never made any suggestions to the effect that mapping applications would now be refused.
Oh I don't disagree with you at all. In fact, I'm quite happy with Apple Maps. But it's not a bad thing if Google has theirs in the store, too.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:40 AM   #25
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenbf View Post
Not necessarily. GM could still be reject for private API use or some other issue.

The fact that Waze etc were approved shows that being a map app isn't the issue
charlituna is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion