Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:32 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Job Listing Suggests Siri Coming in 9 More Languages

Apple is looking for interns fluent in a number of different languages to work on Siri internationalization, according to a job listing first spotted by Belgian site Apple Nieuws Vlaanderen (via 9to5Mac).

The job listing, for Cloud Services Engineering Interns, asks for interns native or fluent in Arabic, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, Korean, Norwegian, and Swedish to work on "delivering Siri in different parts of the world." Languages where Siri is currently unavailable on that list include Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Norwegian, and Swedish.

Siri is currently available in English (US, UK, Australia, Canada), Spanish (US, Spain, Mexico), Chinese (China-Mandarin, Hong Kong-Cantonese, Taiwan-Mandarin), French (France, Canada, Switzerland), German (Germany, Switzerland), Japanese (Japan), Italian (Italy, Switzerland), and Korean (Korea).

Article Link: Apple Job Listing Suggests Siri Coming in 9 More Languages
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:33 PM   #2
studio¹³¹
macrumors 6502

make it work in English.
studio¹³¹ is offline   40 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:34 PM   #3
BeyondtheTech
macrumors 65816

English link:
https://jobs.apple.com/search?#locat...JobId=23409896
BeyondtheTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:43 PM   #4
apolkowski
macrumors member

Joke

It sound like a joke. Danish, Finnish, Norwegian. Why not Polish and Russian? If you count all Danish, Finns, Swedes and Norwegians, you will have them as much as or less than Poles.How can you count on boosting markets if you ignore them? Releasing products without major functions causes consumers to turn back and look for alternatives.
Dear Apple, there IS a world outside of old EU, US or China. And this world is full of potential customers. Do not ignore them!
apolkowski is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:58 PM   #5
copykris
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolkowski View Post
Dear Apple, there IS a world outside of old EU, US or China.
hahahaha

thanks for the laugh!
copykris is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:59 PM   #6
BeachChair
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It sound like a joke. Danish, Finnish, Norwegian. Why not Polish and Russian? If you count all Danish, Finns, Swedes and Norwegians, you will have them as much as or less than Poles.How can you count on boosting markets if you ignore them? Releasing products without major functions causes consumers to turn back and look for alternatives.
Dear Apple, there IS a world outside of old EU, US or China. And this world is full of potential customers. Do not ignore them!
Probably more Apple customers in Scandinavia than in either Russia or Poland.
BeachChair is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:05 PM   #7
Mactendo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachChair View Post
Highly doubtful there're more Apple customers in 5 mln Finland than in 140 mln Russia. Plus Russia is the second fastest growing market (after Japan) in terms of App Store revenue.
Mactendo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:39 AM   #8
andreiru
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachChair View Post
Everyone I know in Russia either has an iPhone, iPad or iMac/MacBook! There are plenty of customers! Trying to balance out the server load, perhaps?
andreiru is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:19 PM   #9
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
There is no evidence that suggests they aren't working on other languages. They just happen to have open positions for certain languages at the moment.
Laird Knox is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:51 PM   #10
temppa
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I don't know the motivation behind the language decision, but I do know, that all Scandinavian languages are members of the Germanic languages, just like German (you figured it out too?) and English. The order of the words (verb, noun, adjective, etc.) is, if I'm not mistaken, the same. (I speak English and some Swedish as second languages.)

Finnish then. Finnish is dead easy to teach to a machine. Since without the only exception (the letters 'n' and 'g' written after each other) the letters in any given word are ALWAYS spelled out same way. And the only exception is always pronounced the same.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:28 PM   #11
SgtPepper12
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by temppa View Post
I don't know the motivation behind the language decision, but I do know, that all Scandinavian languages are members of the Germanic languages, just like German (you figured it out too?) and English. The order of the words (verb, noun, adjective, etc.) is, if I'm not mistaken, the same. (I speak English and some Swedish as second languages.)
You are mistaken.
The sentence "I like to drink black coffee on sunday afternoons" can be translated into German in various ways:

"An Sonntag Nachmittagen trinke ich gerne schwarzen Kaffee"
"An Sonntag Nachmittagen trinke ich schwarzen Kaffee gerne"
"Ich trinke gerne schwarzen Kaffee an Sonntag Nachmittagen"
"Ich trinke schwarzen Kaffee gerne an Sonntag Nachmittagen"
"Ich trinke gerne an Sonntag Nachmittagen schwarzen Kaffee"
"Schwarzen Kaffee trinke ich gerne an Sonntag Nachmittagen"
"Schwarzen Kaffee trinke ich an Sonntag Nachmittagen gerne"
"Gerne trinke ich schwarzen Kaffee an Sonntag Nachmittagen"
"Gerne trinke ich an Sonntag Nachmittagen schwarzen Kaffee"
"Schwarzen Kaffee an Sonntag Nachmittagen trinke ich gerne"

All these (german) sentences vaguely say the same but have different word orders (I think these are all possibilities that exist). The slight difference in meaning is a mystery even to native speakers. It's probably impossible to explain in detail.
SgtPepper12 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:54 PM   #12
carlemil
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to carlemil Send a message via Skype™ to carlemil
Quote:
Because the nordic countries are much richer, and the apple adoption rate is insane compared to the rest of europe.

Really looking forward to a danish siri! :-)

Apple Certified Technology Consultant
ACSP 10.8 · ACSP 10.7 · ACAMI 10.8
Apple’s brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it.
carlemil is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:58 PM   #13
Ballis
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlemil View Post
Well danish sounds like a joke. U can hardly teach the natives the language, much less a computer.

The Danish Language
Ballis is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:35 PM   #14
applegigs
macrumors member

Here we go again bragging how rich we are in Danmark.. don't forget that 1/2 of our workforce is Polish.. 1/3 is Indian, Arabic, Pakistani and so on.. the rest is either hard working or lazy Danes relying on SU. As much as I would love to see it in Danish, other countries deserve it too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlemil View Post
Because the nordic countries are much richer, and the apple adoption rate is insane compared to the rest of europe.

Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:36 PM   #15
xjosh
macrumors member

Quote:
Poland is poor so nobody can afford iPhones.
xjosh is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:26 PM   #16
cudo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosh View Post
You seem to be a nice person so I will not offend you in public. I am an average Pole, living in a rural region of Lover Silesia and I can afford iPhone, to be specific I also have iPad 3 (not planning to upgrade to 4 anytime soon, not really worth it), MBP and some Android Gear. Not showing off, just trying to make a point that not everyone is poor in Poland and percentage wise there must be more iOS devices then in Denmark so get your facts right first.

Ps. I am not stealing cars.

Peace
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:24 AM   #17
g-7
macrumors 6502

Quote:
You're serious, or just trolling?
g-7 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:16 AM   #18
Virinprew
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Poland pronounces Po-land not poor-land.
Virinprew is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:49 PM   #19
MultiMediaWill
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Simple. Learn english and move to america or EU.
iPad 3 16gb
MultiMediaWill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:34 PM   #20
MacFather
macrumors 6502

Google Now works better than Siri
MacFather is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:02 PM   #21
AQUADock
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFather View Post
Google now is good because its faster but Siri is better because it can understand more commands.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:04 PM   #22
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Bereits gesehen, bereits gesehen, bereits gesehen, bereits gesehen.

Bubba Satori is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:15 PM   #23
jctevere
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFather View Post
ORLLY?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_pclCFpjgw

Siri offered more information and had more features on nearly every question. About the only thing Google Now had over Siri was that it answered some questions a split second earlier.
jctevere is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:47 PM   #24
skellener
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctevere View Post
ORLLY?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_pclCFpjgw

Siri offered more information and had more features on nearly every question. About the only thing Google Now had over Siri was that it answered some questions a split second earlier.
Google works on my 3GS - Siri not available. So yes, Google works much better than Siri - for me. Thanks Apple!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:49 PM   #25
Ballis
macrumors 6502

Yes, Yes, YES! Siri in norwegian is probably what I want the most from iOS. Bring it on!
Ballis is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion